mini lathe

Hi everyone, need some help before spending some money, on a small tool shopping spree this month, THE QUESTION IS on ebay under mini milling machine there is an item called MINI LATHE/MILLING MACHINE, can any one tell me about this mainly interested in the milling part the cost is about $115.00. THANKS Don

Hi John, As most of you know I am a computer ileterate i do not know how to post a link i found it by going to ebay and search for mini lathes, also found it on amozon all in the price range of $115.00 combination mini lathe/milling machine, looking for reviews or utube videos can not find any, all help would be appreciated. Don

Don; I agree with Brian, I have ordered (Proxxon MF 70)
as i am waiting to come home to me soon.
Yes it is quite expensive but it is a good machine that fixes most things, I hope !.
I'll show you some pictures when I unpack it.
Jim already shows how we can use it.
Good luck.

Hi Knut, I just can not afford it for the amount of work that I am going to be doing EASE OF OPERATIONS IS IMPORTANT TO ME, as I am going to be starting My first SCRATCH BUILD LE ROCHEFORT MONOGRAPH BY GERAD DELICROIX, that requires a lot of notches keel and kelson, have tried it before with hand tools mixed effect a lot of variables in depth, was not happy with my results, so i am looking for a mini lathe/milling machine, maybe brian or you can give me more information it seems like everybody is selling this item but one company in china makes it, this is what i can determine amozon sells it but quite a bit more then the other sellers, if the macine is not to complicated to use, and the instructions are good enough, I might get one but need to be convinced of this item, with know reviews and utube videos i am reluctant, wish i could justify a prozon but can not, so trying to get as much information as possible, and all help is appreciated. THANKS LOADS TO ALL Don PS have another tool that i orderded out of necisity, will explain in another thread

here is the story of another item that i ordered and the reason why, i have been very worried about my eyesight the last 2 weeks has been tearing up badly, and since my family has a history of glacoma, and i am a type 2 diabetic i was very concerned went to eye doctor and had a complete range of tests THANKS MY FAITH IN JESUES no glacoma and no diabets porobles, but do have issues hopefully will make it better long story short my hobby room is fairly small know ventilation at all and i do most of my power sanding in the room and dust was eveywher, this what was causing my problems well finall dusted every thig total tools hand tools storage etc, and needed something for dust control but did not need a dust collection system as i have a heavy duty vac that i use when i use my power tools but it is the power sanding with my dremells and hand sanding that causes the problem, a kind member of SOS sugested a RAZAIRE, the unit was small light weight and powerfull with great recomendation problem again cost $400.00 plus , just can not afford it, so next best thing that i found was aWEN AIR INFILTRATION SYSTEM REASONABLE PRICe so i ordered it should be in wensday it has 3 speeds and a remote system, will let every one know how it works that isb the long winded explanation on that item hope it works. THANKS ALL Don

When trying to find the lathe you are referring to, I only found this at Amazon, which is near the price class you mentioned. As far as I know this machine is mainly made of plastics, and is not accurate enough for severe scratch ship modelling. Although it can be assembled as 6 different machines like lathe, milling machine, table saw etc. I wouldn't suggest it for nothing more than very light toy fabrication.

Screenshot_20190524-104938.png

I found under the given text description only the same kind of machine, like Moxis showed

To be honest and from my experience in the past with cheap or very cheap tools and machines - You will buy a cheap tool twice.
Maybe somebody has experience with this one, but in my opinion, it can not be a real good one for this price - I would not consider to buy this one

Hi fellow modellers.
Time ago I had a very similar device as you depicted before. At the end I sold it because it was a real pain in the *** to change from one machine to the other. Furthermore, due to the fabrication (plastic mainly) was very inaccurate and weak. Not enough power to complete an average task.

Try, if possible, to spend a little more money and buy something "decent" instead of waste it and throw it to the toilet.
Hughs
Jaime

Hi would like sugestions on what to by close to that price range, i just can not afford the $400.00 range for proxon tools but if I contiue to scratch build like I want to I do need something that i can use and not being mechanicly savy, need something i can work with all help would be appreciated i have an X-Y table attached to my dremel work station and i can not understand how it works and i would like to have a Z function on it also as it is almost impossible to get the depth that i need by lowering or raiseing it at the work station. THANKS Don

there are small precision tools used by model engineers and jewelers watch makers and the like these tools cost a pretty penny because they are "precision" made. tools like these

I have an old Unimat lathe which is really a good tool, however I do not know if they even make them or if the quality is the same.

anyhow what you are looking at is junk toy tools. These do not have the power or "bulk" to actually do a good job. most are plastic hobby toys.

Last edited:
They don't make Unimat lathes to the same quality as the old Unimat SL. I got mine 2nd hand in 1973 for £69, and the only thing I have had to replace has been a few drive belts and one chuck (worn out), but you can still get 2nd hand Unimat SLs on Ebay or at various other places, especially in the US.

I guess that settles it, i just have to figure out how to use my x-y table but it has no Z function, as far as a lathe goes i reall do not need one my main concern is the milling option one that i can work with and understand how to use it. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE, any more sugestions. Don

Cowells Small Machine Tools
No. 7, Corner Ladysmith / Eastern Road
Brightlingsea
Essex
CO7 0JD
England

I hear these guys make good tools

I guess that settles it, i just have to figure out how to use my x-y table but it has no Z function, as far as a lathe goes i really do not need one my main concern is the milling option one that i can work with and understand how to use it. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE, any more suggestions. Don

there is a topic on milling on a lathe right here on the forum.

Dave, Have you got the link to that is it the one by epicdoom or a different one, also if someone can check this out I have heard good things about them and the cost is slightly higher then the other crap that everyone says no and it has a Z function and seems easy to use the company name is VANDA-LAY INDUSTRIES, if someone has the time can you check it out. THANKS FOR THE HELP Don PS THIS IS WHAT SOS IS ALL ABOUT

I have no experience whatsoever about the Acra milling machine, but at least it is built of metal, and if you buy the additional z axle, it might be the tool for you. Good thing is that you can use your dremel as spindel, and you already know what are the capabilities of your dremel. One thing that worries me are the spindel bearings of the dremel tool. When milling, the stresses are more sideways than with drilling. This might have influence to the bearings and result soon to unacceptable wear.

Screenshot_20190524-185913.png

VANDA-LAY INDUSTRIES, if someone has the time can you check it out.

these are accessories for a Dremel tool and or other rotary tools. I have burned out 3 Dremel tools in the past because they get HOT! after a short time using them as a power source for cutting, milling and sanding. some rotary tools like the Chicago electric power tools run on a battery pack which does not have the power for something like milling.

once again Don you are in the hobby, toy category of tools these are LIGHT duty tools they do not have the power, precision or can not be run any length of time or used for machine work like milling. There is no short cut here you get what you pay for.

if you shopping for a mill figure from $600 to over $1,000 for REAL tools

mills.JPG

That I can not afford Dave, as for dremels I have at least 12 of them from the 400 xpr, to the mini 700, including 2 8220s cordless, what i do is go on ebay and like right now there are 2 that i can bid on most of the ones i get are in the $10.00 to $15.00 range if I burn one out just toss it so far all in good working order, chicago electric are pieces of junk, i have a proxon unit and a proxon pen sander along with the transformer for under $40.00 use them quite often, i do want to get the milling machine because of the scratch builds, but can not afford the real good stuff rather use the money to by LUMBERYARD SEMI/SCRATCH KITS ALA-CARTE AS YOU SAID, so am doing nothing right now, but waiting, and let me know about the LE Rochefort hope it comes with a BOM if not do you want me to send you the plans not a problem at all, just let me know. Don

Back