Mini Table Saw Recommendations?

I'm thinking of getting a mini table saw for scratch building and other small DIY projects. I see there are a lot out there with varying reviews. Can anyone give me some recommendations. Thanks, Carl

Second the Byrnes, have had mine over 20 years…. Sent it in to get the extended table and a tune up and he sent me a brand new saw back! Best customer service over the years and it’s a jewel of a saw. Precise and stout!

Yo tengo una Proxxon y va bastante bien, pero debería de tener algo mas de potencia. Contra maderas muy duras, como el boj, no funciona.

Byrnes is best, no question. The only negative is that there is no tilting arbor for ripping at an angle. You can get a "table" that can be used with the saw to allow angle rip cuts, though.

Harbor Freight Tools offers a small cheap table saw made by Chicago Tools called the "Mighty-Mite 4" Table Saw". I bought it to see if it holds up to its name...it doesn't. It cuts poorly and at an angle half the time and the motor is extremely week, even for a 4" bladed saw. You get what you pay for. Just don't.

Harbor Freight Tools offers a small cheap table saw made by Chicago Tools called the "Mighty-Mite 4" Table Saw". I bought it to see if it holds up to its name...it doesn't. It cuts poorly and at an angle half the time and the motor is extremely week, even for a 4" bladed saw. You get what you pay for. Just don't.
As you said.”You get what you pay for”
You want the best get a Byrnes table saw

Received my new Byrnes table saw a couple of weeks ago. It is a powerful little piece of functional art. The fit and finish is amazing. Tolerances are so very tight. I just finished ripping approximately 1,200, 600mmX10mmX1.6mm basswood planks. First plank to last had maybe a 0.1mm variance and I'm pretty sure it was due to my user error, perhaps not holding the stock tight to the fence.

My only regret, it wasn't the first saw I bought!!

Got my byrnes june last year. I saw a lot of oak on maximum depth (2,5cm) so I ask a lot of it. So far no problem. And ridiculous accurate! I saw fineer with a thickness of 0.4mm…

Last edited:
Absolutely the Byrnes I am now on my second motor and would be happy to buy a third if needed. A great saw for model making

Byrnes all the way! - I've been able to saw Boxwood into strips so thin you can see the light through it, and bend it.

Ted

I think part of your decision is how much “work” you are expecting out of your saw…if a lot then get the best you can afford (Byrnes). If occasional cutting needs…even cutting out a set of planks for one model, then other saws are acceptable. I use a saw occasionally…thus I have the one from MicroMark and I have been completely satisfied. Works well, takes the load, and with the right blades does a very good job slicing up some boxwood wood strips for planking.

I use a two wheel band saw in lieu of a table saw. Out in the shop I have an 1940's Delta 890 and in the house use a cheap Chinese made Central Machinery 9" band saw from Harbor Freight. I have not needed the table saw out in the shop for model timber yet, but that could change if I want to create lots of re-sawn strips form large boards of hardwood.

Back