Miniature Sailing Ship Construction - British Barque Gulf Stream

My latest book,Miniature Sailing Ship Construction - British Barque Gulf Stream - (self published)
FIve chapters
The Barque "Gulf Stream"
Constructing the Basic Hull
Constructing the Display Case
Fitting Out the Hull
Masting & Rigging
102 pages, 25,608 words, 240 images, including deck and sail plans. The book is coil bound so it opens flat, or may even be turned inside out if used as reference during the construction of a model.
I have had an initial print run of 46 copies, that arrived yesterday, 28th October, 2019.
Price £12.99 (Excluding postage - postage quoted on request)
Bob
Gulf Stream cover 29 Oct (Large).JPG
Gulf Stream (2) (Medium).JPG

Thanks, It has trailed off now, but there are only 23 left. Not bad considering it was only published on the 28th October last. I expect they will dribble out until they are all gone now. I don't think I will be writing any more printed books, it involves an awful lot of work, and even the post and packing, plus tramping to the post office takes a lot of energy when one it getting on in years! But I hope to continue with the downloads -
Bob

Thanks, It has trailed off now, but there are only 23 left. Not bad considering it was only published on the 28th October last. I expect they will dribble out until they are all gone now. I don't think I will be writing any more printed books, it involves an awful lot of work, and even the post and packing, plus tramping to the post office takes a lot of energy when one it getting on in years! But I hope to continue with the downloads -
Bob
And long may you do so.
Dave

Interest in this one has slowed right down, although there are now only twelve copies left. I am sure they will all go eventually, but I will not be ordering any reprints, as the interest in sailing ship modelling now seems to be on its way out. I realised this from my Facebook group "Merchant Ship in Miniature," were over 90% of the members produce only powered ships. It is probably time to move on to steamships. Here is the link to my latest Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164015095050
Bob

Bob,

I've been a SOS lurker for a little while now, but your post made me become a little more proactive. I'm interested in someday attempting to do a miniature build and this book looks like an awesome pick up. Can you tell me if the book describes how to make the ocean scene and display pictured on the cover as well?

Thanks!

Yes, it covers everything. Building the hull, making the display case, base and sea, deck fittings and masting and rigging - The book is also available as a download for less than half the cost of the printed one. Here is the link: https://payhip.com/b/uOCs Scroll down a bit after it opens to read the full synopsis. Then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button for £4.99 for either Paypal or cards is provided. A download link is sent automatically on receipt of payment. It may be read in computers (Acrobat Reader PDF format), or put in tablets, e-readers etc. If printed out, it will make an A4 size book!
Bob

Bob,
Donnie’s recent post of the ‘Archive build gallery’ drew me to your work. I’m excited to follow your lead and attempt a miniature build And am very appreciative you have shared your knowledge with detail and care. I just purchased the PDF version but was unable to download to my IPAD. Will try my laptop a shortly.
Thanks again!!!
Dan

Thanks Bob! I just ordered a copy from your eBay link. I prefer the hard copy for this sort of thing (maybe I’d pick up the digital eventually).

I simply wanted to follow up that the book arrived the other day. I’m not planning on following it quite yet, but I wanted to sit down and page through it. I thought it looked very detailed and will be a very useful guide and then reference book for other miniature builds. Thanks for making it available!

I simply wanted to follow up that the book arrived the other day. I’m not planning on following it quite yet, but I wanted to sit down and page through it. I thought it looked very detailed and will be a very useful guide and then reference book for other miniature builds. Thanks for making it available!

Many thanks. I am glad the book got through OK. I am beginning to think that I went too deeply into it, and that most modellers feel that it is too complicated for them. After the initial rush, interest trailed off, interest slowed down to a trickle, maybe because of high postage costs to the US, and modellers in the UK have never been all that enthusiastic anyway! There are 11 left now, and I have recovered all the money paid out to have them printed, but I doubt if there will be a reprint. The download version will remain available permanenty though, and that is doing very well (actually, better than the printed book:))
Best wishes
Bob

Of the 46 printed books, there are now only four copies left, and three of them are on Ebay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-sa...095050?hash=item26300fbd0a:g:ee0AAOSwrj9duIm~
After the initial rush, sales were disappointingly slow, and when these last four have gone, I will not be having them reprinted, although the download version will remain available. I think my mistake was to confine it to the sailing ship Gulf Stream, where the greater interest (On my Facebook group) seems to be in steamers or motor ships. Fortunately, I have recovered all the production costs, so it has not been a complete disaster. I will be closing the Ebay listing tomorrow (1st February) at about 1200 gmt.
Bob

Back