miniature spokeshave

Veritas miniature tools are beautifully made and just right for wood modelers.

Looks good for wood work, now you need a lumber holder to retain piece to be shaved, like they show in old fashion ship construction and canoe builds.
Excuse my ignorance but what is " a lumber holder " -google just gives me lumbar racks. Is it a sort of vice made from wood?

Excuse my ignorance but what is " a lumber holder " -google just gives me lumbar racks. Is it a sort of vice made from wood?r
Excuse my ignorance but what is " a lumber holder " -google just gives me lumbar racks. Is it a sort of vice made from wood?
One type uses a combination of friction and fulcrum as the work piece is inserted and the "jaws" pull tight around the top and bottom holding it in place. Saddle makers use a similar type of vise/clamp. You sit on a bench at one end and the work piece is in front of you as you draw the tool towards yourself. PT-2 I am not sure what it is called.

Here's one. For holding strips of model sized wood for planing or shaving. I made my own. The one PT-2 is referring to I think, is called a shaving horse, used by barrel makers, chairmakers and others to hold wood to be shaped with a spokeshave or drawknife.

1602427428159.png

Shaving horse

1602427690933.png

EJ

Here's one. For holding strips of model sized wood for planing or shaving. I made my own. The one PT-2 is referring to I think, is called a shaving horse, used by barrel makers, chairmakers and others to hold wood to be shaped with a spokeshave or drawknife.

View attachment 184747

Shaving horse

View attachment 184752

EJ
1) I have one for many years- now I have another use for it
2)If I scale this down to my new spokeshave, it won't support my weight

View attachment 184747

Shaving horse

View attachment 184752

EJ
That is what I was talking about the shaving horse.

View attachment 184747

Shaving horse

View attachment 184752

EJ
Shaving horse is what I was referring to with the name. As I said leather stichers and saddle makers use the same type of a clamp bench. I have the shaving clamp that you show but have not had a lot of success with it or used it often enough to get the clamping down. When I used it I didn't pay enough attention to the grain direction and the knife dived and cut too deep. Maybe sanding would work better for me. PT-2

Shaving horse is what I was referring to with the name. As I said leather stichers and saddle makers use the same type of a clamp bench. I have the shaving clamp that you show but have not had a lot of success with it or used it often enough to get the clamping down. When I used it I didn't pay enough attention to the grain direction and the knife dived and cut too deep. Maybe sanding would work better for me. PT-2
I found the same problem, but cutting with the point can prevent this. But the set up is fiddly and I find easier and better with a metal ruler-clamped to table for longer pieces. Also passing the wood over a clamped upside down mini plane allows excellent control and the option of varying the amount of removal at various places along the length.

The one for leather working is called a "Stitching Pony". This is the one I made and use for hand stitching or lacing wallets, holsters, belts and such.

The item worked on is placed in the padded jaws. The base part you sit on with the vertical part between your legs. Hand stitching leather items requires both hands to manipulate two threaded needles so the Pony provides a method of holding the work.

Dfal0Pj.jpg

lJlOoyU.jpg

EJ

The one for leather working is called a "Stitching Pony". This is the one I made and use for hand stitching or lacing wallets, holsters, belts and such.

The item worked on is placed in the padded jaws. The base part you sit on with the vertical part between your legs. Hand stitching leather items requires both hands to manipulate two threaded needles so the Pony provides a method of holding the work.

Dfal0Pj.jpg

lJlOoyU.jpg

EJ
Nice stitching rig. When I did some leather projects I had to hold the piece to pass one needle through and then take up the other to then adjust and balance the two before making the next stitch. . . time consuming that could have been avoided with the pony. PT-2

Back