Minnesota Here..

Hi,
My name is Don and I joined the group a week ago. I thought I would take a bit of time and introduce myself.
I am happily retired and live in beautiful Minnesota. Until this year, I was a plastic modeler, most recently concentrating on race cars. Unfortunately, most of the creativity in plastics comes from painting and decaling the model and I wanted to do something I have not done before. Wooden ships seemed too intimidating to get into. However, browsing the internet, I came upon the Model Shipways "Become a Shipwright of Old" set, purchased it, and got hooked. I love the concept of starting with a simpler model and working your way into progressively more intricate models.
I finished the dory in early March and am quite pleased with how it came out. During the course of the build, I learned many excellent techniques and gained confidence with each new element I attempted.
I am now working on the Norwegian Sailing Pram and am up to the standing rigging. This model should be done in a day or so.
Thanks for letting me join. I hope to learn a lot from you all and look forward to sharing my limited insights.
Cheers,
Don

20220310_122628.jpg

20220310_122640.jpg

20220420_121414.jpg

Hallo Don,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Your Dori is looking very good - Bravo - so I am looking forward to see your Pram
and I guess you have already a plan what is coming next .....

Hi,
My name is Don and I joined the group a week ago. I thought I would take a bit of time and introduce myself.
I am happily retired and live in beautiful Minnesota. Until this year, I was a plastic modeler, most recently concentrating on race cars. Unfortunately, most of the creativity in plastics comes from painting and decaling the model and I wanted to do something I have not done before. Wooden ships seemed too intimidating to get into. However, browsing the internet, I came upon the Model Shipways "Become a Shipwright of Old" set, purchased it, and got hooked. I love the concept of starting with a simpler model and working your way into progressively more intricate models.
I finished the dory in early March and am quite pleased with how it came out. During the course of the build, I learned many excellent techniques and gained confidence with each new element I attempted.
I am now working on the Norwegian Sailing Pram and am up to the standing rigging. This model should be done in a day or so.
Thanks for letting me join. I hope to learn a lot from you all and look forward to sharing my limited insights.
Cheers,
Don

View attachment 306698

View attachment 306699

View attachment 306700
Nice boats. I'm in Ramsey, MN. 17th century men of war are my favorite. Welcome to our forum !

Thank you. I am still working through the basics. but like workboats and civil war era ships. We shall see where the hobby takes me.

Welcome aboard! The dory looks really nice and your pram is coming right along. There is as much fun with the smaller boats as there is with the large ships.

Thing I like about the small boats is that they are made exactly like the full size boats. Every plank in the original is on the model. I relate well to that. I just finished the pram and will post pics of that soon. Very pleased with how that came out too.

Hi,
Cheers,
Don
Hallo Don alias @bimmerboy
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back