Mitutoyo Calipers..., Buying The Real Deal?

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Greetings from New York, folks!!

For a long time, since I remember, I always dream to own a measuring tool (caliper) associated with quality and precisions. All the researchers lead to the somewhat pricy Japanese brand Mitutoyo, which always (and still) was hard to justify for the purchase.

My main caliper 'made the dust' and I was on the hunt for another one. Various searches brought me to eBay, and I was looking into buying a Mitutoyo Digimatic (ABS) caliper and in my research, I found out that I actually, today can afford one, hence a merchant offered free shipping (shipped from another state in the USA) So I bought one... :) In about a week, the postman rings the doorbell and brought the small package. Wow, I am the official owner of the best of the best measuring tools in the world! My dream comes true! Really????

The packaging tells me it is Mitutoyo, and the side panel label matches the product number I ordered, and of cause - Made in Japan! Yay!

600_2268.jpg
600_2270.jpg

I rushed to open the box to witness the quality and of cause - precision. The caliper come in a sealed plastic bag packed with a bit of Ferobrite anti-corrosion paper and a yellow tag on the locking knob telling you the important information about installing the battery and set the 'origin'. Furthermore, I found the Ferobrite paper inside the bag, the yellow tag, but where is the battery to install? I found only one, spare. I opened the battery compartment and found it. My caliper came with a preinstalled battery, Dah!!!! So what is the big deal? I scratch my head...once...

600_2275.jpg
Further observing the caliper, I couldn't find the feel of quality I was looking for (if you know what I mean). I turned the caliper upside-down and what a release...I found Made in Japan, the serial number, model (code), even battery type. Really? Why? Wait... the label says SR44, and the spare battery packaging says SR44. But the installed battery is LR44!!!!!!!!! What? Why?
600_2288.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg
I scratched the head for the second time and check the spare battery, and S***********t it is the same reading LR44, but the paper packaging says SR44. What the heck!

IMG_2081.jpgNo, I didn't scream, I was still calm but now I have doubts about the authenticity of this product. I went online specifically to Mitutoyo's website and found all information about my doubts.

1625416598406.png

Further online searching, brought several articles about steps to perform and find out if your product is a counterfeit and not authentic Mitutoyo caliper. Sure enough, the articles mentioned the wrong type of batteries to dispel the mystery. The display of these calipers should read, "0.0000" when zeroed out in the "inches" mode - counterfeits might read, "0.000" and might have a smaller 0/5 digit on the far right. here are my readings

600_2278.jpg

Crap, they got me!!! I look for other evidence, another discrepancy the serial number on the device doesn't match the serial on the Certificate of Inspection.
IMG_2079(1).jpg

At this point, there was no doubt I bought a counterfeit. I emailed eBay and dispute the purchase. I got lucky and have a full refund, and BTW, keep this caliper crap.

600_2276.jpg
600_2282.jpg

At the first, it looks legit and made somewhat identical, but once you take it in your hand you will have some doubts, it doesn't feel like a precision tool, even without all those gotchas (below)/.
Before buying any products educate yourself, there so much information to understand. Buy only from Mitutoyo distributors (they listed on their website). I am disappointed with my purchase, but in the same token, I am glad to share with you my experience and hope you will avoid such in the future. Below is the list to check your Mitutoyo caliper and validate its authentication.

(1) The battery should read “SR44” and “Japan” on the battery itself (not just on the packaging), and there should be no battery already installed in the calipers.
(2) The calipers should come in a sealed plastic bag packed with a bit of Ferobrite anti-corrosion paper and a yellow tag on the locking knob telling how to install the battery and such.
(3) The display of these calipers should read, "0.0000" when zeroed out in the "inches" mode - counterfeits might read, "0.000" and might have a smaller 0/5 digit on the far right.
(4) The locking knob on the top should be the same shape snd size as the original
(5) The "ORIGIN" button should be recessed
(6) The serial number on the caliper should match the serial number listed on the Certificate of Inspection.
(7) The calipers and packaging should not mention China - anywhere - especially not on the box/envelope in which they were shipped.
(8) According to Mitutoyo, it is actually okay if the signature is printed on the calibration certificate, which is a little disappointing, as I have always wanted Mr. T. Suzuki's autograph.

After I checked for these dead giveaways, I emailed Mitutoyo at their tech support page and I asked if they would please verify my calipers' authenticity. They replied quickly and asked for the pictures, so I sent them pictures of all of the components, packaging, and documentation making sure the image quality was good enough that they could make an informed decision. The next day, they got back to me saying that they had confirmed my calipers' counterfeit. :mad:

Happy Mitutoing, you have been warned!

My condolences Jimsky,

I never knew there were counterfeit Mitutoyo.

I agree Mitutoyo make really nice equipment, and you have to pay for it.

If it is too good to be true it probably isn't true.

Are you still going to buy a Mitutoyo Vernier calliper?

The 6" calliper is priced fairly well.

Cheers,
Stephen.

My condolences Jimsky,

I never knew there were counterfeit Mitutoyo.

I agree Mitutoyo make really nice equipment, and you have to pay for it.

If it is too good to be true it probably isn't true.

Are you still going to buy a Mitutoyo Vernier calliper?

The 6" calliper is priced fairly well.
Yes, Stephen! I ordered one thru the Mitutoyo dealer. For anyone interested to buy, Amazon is the official dealer for Mitutoyo products. Based on my research, it is a good price and free delivery (if you have prime). I will make a review comparison once I receive mine.

Wow, that must have been a real disappointment.
Yea...Jan, it was bitter and hard to swallow. :mad: I would never think of such manufacture to be counterfeit, but what do I know... :) This was the main reason for this post. I wanted everyone to be aware of such scams. There are many youtube videos online. Also, it is not just a cosmetic difference, it is the bad workmanship that makes this device (sorry, cannot call it a caliper) a piece of crap. Research...research and research......

Yes, Stephen! I ordered one thru the Mitutoyo dealer. For anyone interested to buy, Amazon is the official dealer for Mitutoyo products. Based on my research, it is a good price and free delivery (if you have prime). I will make a review comparison once I receive mine.

But reading the comments and reviews of the clipaers on Amazon, you can see, that they (Amazon) also sell partly the counterfeits. (check the 1-start comments)
So take care and check the tool when you receive it from amazon!

I can't efford me a mituyo. No problem. There are calipers from Japan, less money and almost no difference. Only 21 euro. But when I see what they send you??? That look like one you can buy for 10 euro on ali.
This is mine.
And it is accurate, no gaps and a firm construction. The metal is hard. It scratch iron. No battery. I think it could be manufactured by mituyo. I think, don't know for sure.
20210705_172708.jpg
20210705_173554.jpg
20210705_172708.jpg

This great news, Mon Amie and I am glad the caliper your own is suitable for our hobby. With all the mess on my initial Mitutoyo purchase, I become proficient and learn a lot. Hence, I saw the letters\numbers (IP54) on your caliper photos (circled). Does anyone know what they mean? Well, now I can explain it to you.

20210705_172708.jpg

Liquids are not the only culprit in the workshop however, oftentimes fine metal grindings and dust can make their way into electronic packs and wreak havoc with the measuring system. Most standard covers provide decent protection against solids but just as sand makes its way into all your belongings (and car) at the beach, these particles have a way of getting into places they should not be. Ultimately, better protection was needed there as well.

There are many levels of protection that a customer can choose for their digital gages so it is important to be able to standardize the products so the end-user knows what they are buying. Hence the use of the Ingress Protection or Index Protection Table or IP Code table. This table was developed by CENELEC and published by the IEC similarly by NEMA and ANSI
The Index of Protection or “IP” rating for short is broken up into two parts. The first number being solid contaminants like dust, metal filings, etc., and the second number being liquid contaminates. See the charts below:

1625502206454.png

1625502319312.png

So reading your caliper number IP54: Your caliper protected from Dust (the number 5 in the first table), and Splashing water (the number 4 in the second table), You Shane caliper protected from dust and splash of water. Pretty simple actually! I might have the second one like yours...

Is that imitation of a Sequoia?
Usually they make a stupid typo somewhere.
Regards, Peter
...they do Peter, but this one is just a dot on a paper. The US Pat spelled US PAt. I was told by Mitutoyo they never staple documents. All the edges were smooth except one of the top. The main part is the electronic reading is cheap\crap and not accurately read. The electrical test was conducted, how much power battery is used compared to legit one 0,5 to 0,17. I didn't want to post the video because the person is cursing.

In our hobby is 0,05 mm or 0,1 mm enough. Because wood changes in length when its getting dry or moist. Even temperature changes you can see when you measuring. More precise isn't necessary. I'm glad with this calipers. it's precise, solid and cheap. Sure I would love to have a Mitutoyo. But it is to pricey for me. And second hand I don't trust.
Thanks for explanation of IP code.

I can only agree with the comments made concerning the quality of genuine Mitutoyo products. I possess a metric caliper of the non-digital type and a micrometer, 0-25mm from this company. I purchased them from an engineering company that closed many years ago. They both ooze quality and precision. I will never need a replacement in my lifetime.
Trevor.

Jimski, A BIG Thank You !
I am just about ready to order a Mit 6 inch Caliper and your comments will help
me determine and check the caliper when it comes in . Appreciate it !
My old Mit doesn't like to be thrown on the floor- I dropped it many times in the past 20 years, one too many however last year.
I was at a Hobby show and bought a cheapie for $20 , and it is a piece of garbage -didn't seem that way at first,
but it was a bit stiff in use, but then last week took the cake. It changed a dimension sitting on the bench .
I measured a part , like 1.488 " and carefully set it down and when i looked to confirm the dimension, it said 1.143
What ? so I remeasured it , it said 1.143 (wrong !) , but then I closed the jaws and it was a negative number !
Because of my years, numbers are sometimes hard to recall, so for these past few years I make it a point of keeping
the number on the calipers when I set it down, and if i move the jaws by accident, i reset the reading...AND
whenever I pick up a caliper, I always zero it out - Particularly since I drop things and I have never dropped the cheap caliper.
I tossed it when that happened and will get another Mit !
Rich

Jimski, A BIG Thank You !
I am just about ready to order a Mit 6 inch Caliper and your comments will help
me determine and check the caliper when it comes in . Appreciate it !
My old Mit doesn't like to be thrown on the floor- I dropped it many times in the past 20 years, one too many however last year.
I was at a Hobby show and bought a cheapie for $20 , and it is a piece of garbage -didn't seem that way at first,
but it was a bit stiff in use, but then last week took the cake. It changed a dimension sitting on the bench .
I measured a part , like 1.488 " and carefully set it down and when i looked to confirm the dimension, it said 1.143
What ? so I remeasured it , it said 1.143 (wrong !) , but then I closed the jaws and it was a negative number !
Because of my years, numbers are sometimes hard to recall, so for these past few years I make it a point of keeping
the number on the calipers when I set it down, and if i move the jaws by accident, i reset the reading...AND
whenever I pick up a caliper, I always zero it out - Particularly since I drop things and I have never dropped the cheap caliper.
I tossed it when that happened and will get another Mit !
Rich
You're more than welcome, Rich.
The idea of my post was not to advertise Mitutoyo calipers. Their Centuries reputation doesn't require advertisement anymore. I was more concerned to warn everyone who considered Mitutoyo's product as the next purchase. Today, we have many manufactures who made very good quality calipers. For the most part, their quality and precision are feasible for our hobby for sure. But, none of them can't match the quality\durability of Mitutoyo, IMHO. Therefore the tag price is higher. ;)

Greetings all! Hope you have a relaxing weekend and spend some time with your hobby. Mine was sweetened with UPS delivery and the real-deal Mitutoyo caliper made to its new home. I got pretty much the same model as the counterfeit with the exception of the length. Technically, I don't see the use of 200mm so 150mm it is.

The graphics on the packaging is different, though it is the same Mitutoyo color.

600_2305.jpg 600_2306.jpg

It was sealed in a plastic bag with 'ferobrite' paper.

600_2307.jpg

All accompanying paperwork was intact and didn't staple together. The package contained a single SR44 battery, NOT preinstalled.

IMG_2093.JPEG 600_2296.jpg

Most important, the serial number on Inspection Certificate matches the serial number on the caliper.

IMG_2092.JPEG

Now some comparisons between MitutQyo and the real-deal Mitutoyo.

1. The counterfeit caliper has only 3 digits after the point in the Inch measurements. The real deal has four.

IMG_2095.JPEG

The back of the calipers, On the left is the Mitutoyo, on the right is the so-called MitutQyo.

600_2303.jpg 600_2304.jpg

The tails of the calipers (left Mitutoyo, right is the counterfeit)

600_2297.jpg 600_2298.jpg

600_2293.jpg 600_2294.jpg

Bottom line, we can certainly play the game: found 10 discrepancies between two images. Be careful when making purchases. Consult Mitutoyo to find their trusted dealers. The next post will be testing. I ordered a gauge block to perform testing.

Thank you, and talk to you soon...

Back