Model Airways Albatros - D.va 1/16 scale

As mentioned before, I am going to build the Model Airways Albatros D.Va and the Neiuport 28 in addition to the Sopwith Camel I built.
This will serve as a short history and preface to the Albatros D.Va build.

First we must mention the fact that the Red Baron (Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen) flew the Albatros for most of his military service, flying the versions; II, III and finally the D.V (which is the version model kit made by Model Airways). Although he was most known for flying the Fokker DR1 triplane, only 19 of his 80 kills were in the Fokker. Which means the prior 61 kills were piloting the Albatros. It is also worth mentioning that he championed the development of the Fokker D.VII with suggestions to overcome deficiencies of the current German fighter aircraft, although he never had the opportunity to fly one.

To complement the Albatros D.Va airplane, I chose to build the 1/16 scale figure of the Red Baron to be displayed with it. For a change, I decided this is where I will start this build, with the figure of him, as I wanted to build the figure now. :)

Once I begin the Albatros D.Va airplane, I will designate each Stage of the build by the stage number and title used in the manual, and use BOLD CAPS on the post that starts that Stage as follows below:

Stage 1 – Building the Upper Wing
Stage 2 – Building the Lower Wing
Stage 3 – Building the Stabilizer
Stage 4 – Building the basic Fuselage
Stage 5 – Installing Internal Fuselage Fittings
Stage 6 – Installing more Fuselage fittings & Gun assembly
Stage 7 – Installing the Stabilizer, Elevator, Rudder & Control cables
Stage 8 – Building and installing the Landing Gear
Stage 9 – Assembly of the Mercedes 180hp Motor & Propeller
Stage 10 – Installing the Motor and Guns
Stage 11 – Installing the Radiator and Air Speed Indicator
Stage 12 – Assembly of Wings to Fuselage, and control and guy rigging

This is the same format I used on the Sopwith Camel, and it is my hopes that this may help others who may chose to build this kit.

Here are some photos of the kit...

ma-albatros.jpg

ma-02.JPGma-03.JPGma-01.JPG

In April 1917, Albatros received an order from Inspektion der Fliegertruppen (Idflieg) for an improved version of the D.III. The resulting D.V prototype flew later that month. The D.V closely resembled the D.III and used the same 127 kW (170 hp) Mercedes D.IIIa engine. The most notable difference was a new, fully elliptical cross-section fuselage which was 32 kg (71 lb) lighter than the partially flat-sided fuselage of the earlier D.I through D.III designs.[1] The new elliptical cross-section required an additional longeron on each side of the fuselage and the fin, rudder and tailplane initially remained unchanged from the D.III.[1] The prototype D.V retained the standard rudder of the Johannisthal-built D.III, but production examples used the enlarged rudder featured on D.IIIs built by the Ostdeutsche Albatroswerke (OAW). The D.V also featured a larger spinner and ventral fin.
Compared to the D.III, the upper wing of the D.V was 121 mm (4.75 in) closer to the fuselage, while the lower wings attached to the fuselage without a fairing. The D.V wings were almost identical to those of the standard D.III, which had adopted a sesquiplane wing arrangement broadly similar to the French Nieuport 11. The only significant difference between wings of the D.III and D.V was a revised routing of the aileron cables that placed them entirely within the upper wing, Idflieg conducted structural tests on the fuselage, but not the wings, of the D.V.
The improved D.Va that followed, had extra weight, thus the Mercedes motor was changed to have 180hp.

Last edited:
I will start with the 1/16 scale Red Baron figure model.
1651169230726.png

The figure consist of 23 parts, and must be glued, sanded and painted accordingly.

First, here is an example of the painted model...
baron-m1.jpg

Here is a photo of the Red Baron...
baron2.JPG

It is my opinion that the model is not a very good likeness of the Red Baron, although the uniform is great.

Here is a comparison photo...
Compare2.JPG

In an effort to more accurately represent the Red Baron, I decided to carve, sand and file on the face of the model, to try to make it look more like him. This meant changing the nose, mouth, jaw line, removing wrinkles under the eyes, etc.
My effort resulted in this...
Compare1.JPG

Although it may not be an exact likeness, I feel it is a vast improvement over the provided model.
Also keep in mind he was 26 when he died, so he should not look old.
I have also built the body, and I am on the final stages of painting. I will post an update when I am finished.
In addition, his dog was provided in the kit, which I will build at a later date.

Last edited:
The sleek streamlined lines of the Albatros D.V make it my favourite aircraft of WWI. I have the WNW model in 1/32 in stock, waiting to be built.
I take the middle seat in the first row!

Cheers,
Christian

The figurine of the Baron Richthofen is really very good - inclusive the changes to the face - he is now much more looking like shown on the old photo.

As Christian is already sitting in the first row, I would like to reserve an "austrian" first row
A choke - SOS will stay international so I am happy to sit in a mixed row - only important is for me, that I can see everything of your work :cool:

Many Thanks for starting the new building log

If you would pardon one observation....
The walking stick looks to me to be made of 'Blackthorn', which naturally has the raised bumps along the length.
Traditionally, fighting stick makers retained these raised nodes as a means of concentrating painful pressure when striking an opponent.
If, indeed the stick is Blackthorn, the colour would be a dark iridescent purple. The raised nodes would be a cream shade.

If you would pardon one observation....
The walking stick looks to me to be made of 'Blackthorn', which naturally has the raised bumps along the length.
Traditionally, fighting stick makers retained these raised nodes as a means of concentrating painful pressure when striking an opponent.
If, indeed the stick is Blackthorn, the colour would be a dark iridescent purple. The raised nodes would be a cream shade.

Herman_Goering_1918_Jasta_11.jpg

Oberleutnant Hermann Göring in World War I as the final Kommandeur (commander)[1] of Jagdgeschwader I (Fighter Wing 1) alongside his white Fokker D VII (F) 5125/18.[2] He wears the strengthened version of the Heinecke parachute harness and holds a knobby walking stick known as the Geschwader-Stock (wing stick) that had been passed down from Manfred von Richthofen.

and Manfred von Richthofen with his walking stick

a2948d72-0001-0004-0000-000000594597_w640_r0.7093596059113301_fpx50_fpy63.82.jpg ManfredLothar.jpg manfred von richthofen red baron albatross.jpg

Interesting also:

28945220-10215392581276117-1885869396-o_orig.jpg

RittmeisterWalkingStick.png

Rittmeister’s Walking Stick (Geschwaderstock)​

Carved for Manfred von Richthofen by his mechanic, Josef Holzapfel. Given to the current Rittmeister of JG Nr. I "Richthofen".

The figurine of the Baron Richthofen is really very good - inclusive the changes to the face - he is now much more looking like shown on the old photo.

As Christian is already sitting in the first row, I would like to reserve an "austrian" first row
A choke - SOS will stay international so I am happy to sit in a mixed row - only important is for me, that I can see everything of your work :cool:

Many Thanks for starting the new building log
Thank you Uwek, glad to have you in the first row! ;)

Thank you @pugwash and @Uwek for the input on the walking stick. I clearly just followed the painted example, and it appeared to me the raised areas were silver? So I thought perhaps there were metal inserts in it, which would have made carving easier I think?
Anyway, here is another photo, unfortunately black and white, as that is all you can get with photos this old...
1651240218742.png

Here you can see the raised bumps are a much lighter color. I can change them to a light brown or tan color. Perhaps that would be more correct? Opinions welcome! ;)

Last edited:
Oh Wow, another great build to follow. Your "Baron" looks 100% better with the facial features "adjusted". I'm sitting in the control tower and have you "cleared for take off on runway one-niner-zero,etc." :D Looking forward to Stage 1:

So sneaky! Was I trying to keep track of your Norske Lowe, eagerly awaiting anticipated updates, did you start another WWI era aircraft build instead. Nice!
The theater is already filled to capacity, so I'll settle instead for a long distance spectacle.
Too bad this build isn't a Fokker DVII, but the Albatross will do well as a substitute. ;)

So sneaky! Was I trying to keep track of your Norske Lowe, eagerly awaiting anticipated updates, did you start another WWI era aircraft build instead. Nice!
The theater is already filled to capacity, so I'll settle instead for a long distance spectacle.
Too bad this build isn't a Fokker DVII, but the Albatross will do well as a substitute. ;)
I may go back to the Norske Love, I am undecided at this point.
I wanted to build the 1/16 figure of the Red Baron, and it will be part of the Albatros D.Va build, to be displayed with it. So I decided to start the log of the Albatros D.Va now, to begin with the figure.
Perhaps I will go back and forth from the airplane to the ship? ;)

Back