Model Airways Sopwith Camel

thank you all for the likes and followings !

I am not sure if I have endurance or I have no sense. You know, I could have made this pulley about the same amount of time I carved all the flash out of the Brit metal - anyway - before and after photo. I guess I just love punishment.

wing-pulleys-02.jpg

I decided to abandon the "fake" pulleys - so - I decided to make my own, but a working pulley. Brass and Steel.

I realized that unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the Mill and End Mill (2mm) cutting out the slots. The slots are 4 x 2mm and the holes for the pulley shaft is about .3mm

I used a jeweler's saw to separate them.

pulley01.jpg

pulley02.jpg

pulley05.jpg

pulley04.jpg

pulley03.jpg

pulley06.jpg

Thank you all for the likes - greatly appreciated !!

Well, it was time to install the compression bars - HA - I am missing two - the ones that go on the ends of the wings. I turned my shop almost upside down and could not find them. I emptied my shopvac, vacuum cleaner, and trash bucket in the shop.

I think that I just thought I had the right number of bars, but the more I thought about it, I thought I was just missing them from the box (missing parts). SIGH - so, instead of ordering two of them from M.E. - I just decided to go ahead and try to make them using my Mill and some 6mm square aluminum. Well, aluminum comes in various grades and apparently, the grade I have is not the best as it 'tears' and splinters - not the best stuff - well, it's all I had so here we go.

I wanted to take a video of the process and even got my tripod and cam set up - but between trying to make these things with very few measurements, and trying to get the Cam to work right with a good angle - I ditched the video - so you all will have to just take my word for it that I made them. It was about an hour for each one. They are crude - but they work and they fit like they are supposed to. Next paint them and install the turnbuckles and hopefully no one will know !!!

The raw stock aluminum is shown.

rebuilt-compression-bars-02.jpg

rebuilt-compression-bars-01.jpg

Thank you all for the likes - greatly appreciated !!

Well, it was time to install the compression bars - HA - I am missing two - the ones that go on the ends of the wings. I turned my shop almost upside down and could not find them. I emptied my shopvac, vacuum cleaner, and trash bucket in the shop.

I think that I just thought I had the right number of bars, but the more I thought about it, I thought I was just missing them from the box (missing parts). SIGH - so, instead of ordering two of them from M.E. - I just decided to go ahead and try to make them using my Mill and some 6mm square aluminum. Well, aluminum comes in various grades and apparently, the grade I have is not the best as it 'tears' and splinters - not the best stuff - well, it's all I had so here we go.

I wanted to take a video of the process and even got my tripod and cam set up - but between trying to make these things with very few measurements, and trying to get the Cam to work right with a good angle - I ditched the video - so you all will have to just take my word for it that I made them. It was about an hour for each one. They are crude - but they work and they fit like they are supposed to. Next paint them and install the turnbuckles and hopefully no one will know !!!

The raw stock aluminum is shown.

View attachment 430790

View attachment 430791
Also without ‘the proof’, you made some nice tiny parts, Donnie. My respect for your milling skills.
Regards, Peter

ARRRGGG !!!!! Sick

I started to install the other two compression bars that have the lower hoops in them - and then - it hit me - that I made those other compression bars in vain - oh well, I guess it was just a good experience I guess. You will see in this image that the real bars are supposed to go into the red-colored area.

Haste makes Waste as they say and I got into a hurry or was distracted I guess. It was when I started to install the CORRECT bar is when I noticed my mistake.

mistake.jpg

Amazing work! Looks like it's coming along nicely. can hardly wait to see more.

Finally got some more work on the Camel done - basically - the wings are completed now.

This shows that I am making the two blocks for setting up the Dihedral of the lower wing (block height is 25/32")

dihedral-setup-blocks-01.jpg

dihedral-setup-blocks-02.jpg

dihedral-setup-blocks-03.jpg

wings-completed-01.jpg

I have been trying to make two door hinges for the last two weeks. One broke and one went sailing in the wind. Found one in my shoe heel sometime later. If and only if I could produce a part that was half as good as I see here between you and YT I could enjoy my time a little better. Endeavor to persevere. What the heck, salmon season has arrived, and the steelhead run is looking great. Time to see if one of my 1:1 ratio boats will cooperate.

Back