Model Expo "Chesapeak Bay Falttie" Scale 1/32

This one of the few kits that Model Expo obtain the permition to build from Midwest Products.
Its a quick and fun kit to build whenever we feel tired of building something intricate. I built this one in 1 1/2 week.
The faltties were used along the coast of Virginia and North Carolina to carri produce down shoal creek to market, and also they use to haul oysters from shallow flat bars. You can still see this type of boat sailing today.
First I will show you the simple components of the kit.
IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1560.jpgIMG_1555.jpgIMG_1556.jpgIMG_1557.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_E1559.jpg

A simple keel with 4 frames.
The instructions tells you to cut off corner piece of the wooden sheet to square off your frames.
IMG_E1570.jpgIMG_1569.jpgIMG_1571.jpg
Dry fit all of the pieces.
IMG_E1574.jpg

The same goes when you add the shines.Her I added two triangular pieces to the bow so I could have a bit of more material when adding the bottom and sides.IMG_1600.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

Next step in the build is the companionway hatch and doors. Here I also added some pencil marks on the doors just to make it better, but if we really want to enhance this model, there is many things we could add to it.
At this time i marked at the bottom, the place where to glue the centerboard.
IMG_1615.jpgIMG_1616.jpgIMG_1622.jpg
IMG_1624.jpgIMG_1623.jpgIMG_E1630.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

rudder.jpg

To finish the model you have to add two walnut toe rails, the coaming rails and the samll samsonpost for te bow deck.
So with the main model finished I prime it and paint it, and I jumped to create and rig the mast, boom and gaff.
IMG_E1759.jpg

Right away I jumped to create the sails but they are a bit tricky to make them look good.
I tried to sew them and they shrank out of shape, so I gave it a second try by tracing the sail from the plans with a General’s pastel Chalk pencil and using a spray bottle I mixed a 30% glue with 70% water giving the sails two heavy coats of the glue/water and hung to dry for a few hours.IMG_1750.jpgIMG_E1806.jpgIMG_1740.jpg

Back