Model Expo "THE SKIFF", Scale 1"=1' [COMPLETED BUILD]

Welcome boys and girls to the Kindergarten School of Ship Modeling.
Today we will be learning how to assemble your first wooden model, the famous “Skiff”.
If you have spent any time on American lakes or rivers, you have probably seen small flat-bottomed rowboats. These are, for the most part, utility boats known as Skiff. Their lightness and flat bottoms allow these boats to be easily beached and stored aboard most yachts.
This kit represents an 8’6”, two-man skiff. It is a 19thcentury Dory-Built design that is still in used today.

This is the second model produced by Model Expo underlicensed by Midwest Products and more will follow soon.
And here we go.
1.jpg

The model comes with very well explained, easy to understand 33 pg. instruction book.
2.jpg
These are all the parts needed to create the model, but dont let that fool you. It might look very simple to assemble but the small parts makes it a bit dificult to work with, but realy nothing to worry about.
3.jpg
First step is to lay the bottom plank over the plan and align it so you could follow the cleat marks, also at this time is good to lightly sand the edges at a 90ø angle.
4.jpg
The first two parts to glue down will be the transom and stern knee.
5.jpg
Then you add the cleats and the frames.
IMG_E1886.jpgIMG_E1904.jpg

After positioning the centering the bottom plank on the strongback, we have to bend it to contact with the strongback at frame #3 with two push-pins and one push-pin between the first stern cleat.
You have to play with this pins up and down untill you get the correct curvature to meet the side planks.
Alsso now is the time to make a temporary spall to strengthens the frames during planking and also a stern brace, I was in a hurry and added only one to the #1 frame but all of the frames should wet one spall.
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
The temporary spall.
5.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Time to prime the model.
Wile the model was drying I made the oars, the rowlocks blocks and the inwales and proceeded to prime also.
IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1938.jpgIMG_E1961.jpgIMG_E1962.jpgIMG_E1958.jpgIMG_E1957.jpg
After experimenting with so many primers, I found this one and to me is the best. Yes is a bit costly but if you want a good loking finish, this is the base you want to use. I bought it at Discount Auto Parts.
IMG_1491.jpg
And here are all of the paintings I used to get the finish I want it.
1.jpg

Afetre spending some time maskig with low tack masking tape, I airbrushed the interior with Vallejo Deep Sky Blue.
Notice I painted all of the upper edge, breasthook, the transom uppet knees and middle seat riser, the inwales all in flat white as well as the entire skiff.
1.jpg2.jpg

After half a day drying I added the back mahogany seat.
3.jpg
For the floor boards I used Minwax 2716 Dark Walnut because it makes a nice match with the clear coated mahogany guards that came with the kit.
4.jpg5.jpg

Now was the time to add the middle seat.
6.jpg

And the Inwales.
7.jpg

Last edited:
After the inwales came the mahogany Guards. I sealed them two coats of semi gloos clear
And thats the end of a weeks work.
The kit came with a 1/4' x 1/4" wood (Stained and sealed with the same color Minwax) that I cut a 3/8" notch in the center line to accomodate the bottom of the skiff and used to display the model.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Untill the next Midwest model.
Thank You, I hope that these building log could help all of the newcomers to the wounderful world of wooden model ships.
Now you have passed Kindergarten.2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Back