COMMERCE de MARSEILLE - Model of an 118-Gun Ship in scale 1:72 / Modéle au 1/72 d'un vaisseau de 118 canons - by Francis JONET

À la demande de Uwe, j’ouvre ce sujet concernant la construction d’un vaisseau de 118 canons d’après la monographie de Gérard Delacroix « Le commerce de Marseille ». Construction dont la décision fut prise fin 2008 et a débutée par l’adaptation des plans de Gérard.

Le travail a véritablement commencé en février 2009 – onze ans déjà. Au cours de ces années, le modèle a évolué et, de 118 canons à l’origine, s’est transformé en un vaisseau de 120 bouches à feu équipé de caronades sur le pont des gaillards.

Uwe est en possession de l’ensemble des images postée sur le forum « Marine et Modélisme d’Arsenal » que je lui ai transmises. Il s’est chargé d’en traduire les textes pour ensuite distribuer tout cela sur le forum SoS.

J’espère que cela vous plaira.

Francis Jonet.

bateau1(1).jpg

At the request of Uwe, I open this subject concerning the construction of a 118-gun vessel from the Gérard Delacroix monograph "Le commerce de Marseille". Construction whose decision was taken at the end of 2008 and started with the adaptation of Gérard's plans.

The work really started in February 2009 - eleven years already. During these years, the model evolved and, from 118 guns originally, turned into a 120-gun vessel equipped with carronades on the forecastle deck.

Uwe is in possession of all of the images posted on the "Marine and Arsenal Modeling" forum that I sent him. He was responsible for translating the texts and then distributing all of this on the SoS forum.

I hope you will like it.

Francis Jonet.

Hallo Francis,
Many Thanks my friend for the opening this topic and officially starting the building log of your amazing model.

As an information for everybody I want to make a short introduction.
I had the pleasure to meet Francis first time during the international convention of shipmodeling in October 2018 in Rochefort, where he had two models in exhibition. His outstanding finished model of a 74-Gun Ship in scale of 1:75 and also his 1:72 model of the Commerce de Marseilles, or better a 118 gun ship, which is shown in the following photo

IMG_03711.JPG

Take a look here to see more photos of the two models:

Due to the fact, that Francis is also a Moderator of the french forum Marine & Modélisme D´Arsenal, organized by our member and friend Gérard Delacroix, and that he is making detailed Building logs of his model since years, he has a huge number of documentation. Many Thanks once more to Francis, who have send me the complete series of posts he made so far, so I am able now to present also here in our forum his amazing model and work......... enough material for a long and interesting log.

You can expect a very interesting and entertaining log full of information, hints, construction methods, humor, close up photos of the work by @Francis Jonet .

Many Thanks
Uwe

For everybody interested in the mentioned planset by Gérard Delacroix (and translated by Gilles Korent), please take a look at the Planset Review here in SOS:

LE COMMERCE DE MARSEILLE (1788) - 118-guns
built by master shipwright Sané,
planset by our member @G. DELACROIX,
english translation by our member @Gilles Korent

IMG_27721.jpg

Hello boys,
You will not see me often on the forum, I will come from time to time to visit it.
It's uwe who will take care of placing the photographs of the construction of this model.
Thanks to him.
Thank you for your welcome.

So today we start with the first post of the Building log - Francis usually have the text included in the jpg-s, so I will add the google english translation under the photos.
With this you have the original text and a more or less acceptable translation (please all french speaking members -> if there is a wrong or misleading translation, please comment, correct etc. directly in the topic or via a short info Personal Message to me - afterwards I am able to edit the post - Many Thanks in advance).
Enjoy ..... and remember -> photos and drawings are saying more than thousand words (hope so)

118F-1.jpg
The work on the drawing board: The plan of the frame of the future model established from the mono of Gérard Delacroix.

The continuation in small steps.

118F-2.jpg
The frames:
These are drawn in half cuts, then scanned and then worked to have them all. They are made of aviation plywood 3 mm thick, just like the edge of the keel that you saw previously.

118F-3.jpg
The cutting of the frames: at that moment I was working with the son's coping saw. It helped me a lot. Since he left on the side of Toulouse with the instrument …

118F-4.jpg
You know these two photographs, the first in presentation of the skeleton mounted blank to see if the cutting work is not too poorly executed.

118F-5.jpg
The construction jig prepared for the continuation of the work, it takes the extensions of the frames as high as possible for a better protection considering their fragility.

118F-6.jpg
The bow and stern independently worked to approach the curves. Later some of the cells will be filled with balsa to facilitate the gluing of the boards of the planking.

118F-7.jpg
A first skin in walnut planks 1 mm thick is in progress. It was not planned like that, but having not yet received the pear and not wanting to do nothing, I decided to use these remains of the 74 guns (the idea at the beginning was bordered the hull in pear slats of 2 mm). We distinguish the fills in balsa of the stern and the bow.

118F-8.jpg
The first skin of the hull curl is finished, it's been three weeks since the work started. Now it's time to take care of the house business ... It's been spring for some time! It is a beautiful hull with pleasant shapes, a little more graceful than that of the 74 but of the same lineage (a pleasure to caress her to better feel its forms and to be aware of surface defects). It is easy to understand why these ships were jealous of the English for their sailing performance: when comparing the vivid works of the Victory to those of cc 118, there is no picture as to the fluidity of the lines.

118f-9.jpg
The mosaic of the curving of the hull is finally over, it was not cake. I have the impression to be at the same time as before: at first glance only the color is different, but it is not the same wood. The pear tree is very pleasant to work, a pity to discover it only so late! Nothing to do with walnut, much more flexible and obedient to the constraints imposed on him.

118F-10.jpg
A look at the arsenal of 118:
- on the left, the normal tendency of the holding of the site, and, there it is beautiful;
- below, it is less crowded but you can admire the open space on a domain that no longer belongs to me and the tool that allows to maintain good relations.

To be continued ........ And Many Thanks for your interest .....

Just a small remark. Who ever made the translation is really a great diplomat, because the French tekst actually says: "it is easy to understand why these ships made the Brits jealous of their sailing performance: if you compare the under water hull (vivid works?) of the Victory to those of this 118-gunner, the latter's fluidity of lines is evident.
Just for fun: my congratulations both for the superb build log and its translation!

En France, il est attribué à un amiral anglais le propos suivant ? "L'idéal est un vaisseau français avec un équipage anglais."
Je ne suis pas sectaire et un peu d'ironie n'a jamais fait de mal à quiconque. N'est-ce pas...

In France, the following is attributed to an English admiral? "The ideal is a French vessel with an English crew."
I am not sectarian and a little irony has never hurt anyone. Is not it ...

So here you will see the next posts made by Francis

118F-13.jpg
Below, the result of three days of work, one more and the first pair of big bites will be executed.
Image 1: The wood used is walnut, still a remnant of 74. As the object to be made is intended to be painted it does not matter that it is not the pear tree.
Image 2: The loops are ready to be laid, the flat irons are just coming out of the welding shop.
Image 3: The second pair of big bittes is waiting to be put on the first bridge. The model being with its hull closed, the amounts of the bitts are represented only from the underside of the planking of the bridge. The cushion of the bolster is in pear.

118F-14.jpg
These views show the structure of the dead works of the stern and the bow.The openings of the ports of the first battery are framed.
An image at the very beginning of the work on the bow.
A bird's eye view of this pile of wood.
Finally a suitable red ocher.
Red ocher

118F-17.jpg
After a month of little pace it has not advanced much.The work should be on the back castle, but I miss a tool that I must receive shortly (ordered to Bosco).

The filling of the outer planking of the scrap between pre-painted has benefited, the rear part will be extended as soon as the covering of the vault will be realized, said dressing to be executed after the vaigrage is set up and reaches the table (engagement of tasks requires).

118F-18.jpg
Not long ago I talked about a refit, that's the job." It was necessary to hit hard in the wall, it was not without damage on the planking (not very visible fortunately). because it lacked a millimeter in length to the strake of the pre-concealed.

The vault completed after resumption of work.
The filling between prowess to the bow: I'm not sure it was realized like that, but I do not see this part made otherwise than dubbing.

118F-22.jpg
A lid equipped with its hinges
Presentation for setting the parts
The vault of arch and its ports finished. A work probably premature but I could not hold me back, I had a little enough gliding.

118F-23.jpg
It's been a while since I've been able to do it.
In the top left, the big capstans (I do not remember if you already know). there they are treated to the background.
Top right, a view from the front of the first bridge with the partition of the gatte placed in presentation. The garlands of the hawks (well, what I think is called this) and the curve that will be flanked by the second bridge are also in place temporarily. The rest of the deck hardware is only present for the weather.
In the center on the left, a close-up of the same things.
Below left is and.
Below right the bare transom, this cow house asked me an afternoon of work, and in addition it is not terrible.
That's the patches .. when you do not want to make the arsenal.

118F-24.jpg
Here is the work today ... It's beautiful huh? Say.

118F-25.jpg
The first look of 36, model 1786 non-iron, with its first layer of red ocher, prototype before attacking 31. It is not certain that the guns are put in place on (ports provided closed).
Presentation for pleasure at the first port of port. I think that only the carriages will be put in place on this deck.
An idea of what is left to work.

118F-26.jpg

118F-27.jpg
What we see through an archway port.
For Jean-Paul a general view of the first bridge. Do not pay attention to the deck loops, I have the same problem as Alain with my mixture of browning

118F-29.jpg
Two views of the last job.
Not easy at all, the lease curves were made and redone, glued and peeled several times. I think now I'm ready to continue the thing.
But what am I drooling!

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued ....

Dear Francis Jonet,
thank you for allowing Uwe to post your beautiful ship on our forums. It is at least a dream of mine that I can acquire the same skills you have to produce such an excellent model.

Cher Francis Jonet,
merci d'avoir autorisé Uwe à poster votre beau vaisseau sur nos forums. C'est au moins un de mes rêves que je puisse acquérir les mêmes compétences que vous avez pour produire un modèle aussi excellent.

Last edited:
Many Thanks, also in the name of Francis, for your kind comments and all the likes - highly appreciated

118F-30.jpg
Gerard said," You have to do the reinforcing straps at the head of the rudder lock. "I made it a pity that it will not be visible later.
And now I sign my pictures.

118F-31.jpg
That's it for the first hinge, the most difficult ... Can not do better. But it's done with a smile.

118F-32.jpg
The rudder and its hinges after two weeks of work.
Now we must go to the sieves (there are two on this p ..... model), then it will be the turn of the ball parks and the installation of the remaining hinges before continuing on the structure of the second bridge.
I wonder if I make the drosses of the govemail, it would not hurt to see turn the wheel bar while moving rudder, but is it really useful?

118F-33.jpg
The lids of the portholes of the first battery of the 118 have a small ventilation lid fixed by a hinge in the shape of a horseshoe. I found a" "trick" "to realize these at 1/72 from a copper wire 4/10 mm in diameter, a "" thing "" which must also be valid on a larger scale.

The shape is given to the wire around a nail or drill of the desired diameter.
The object is then pressed between two irons and brought to a thickness of 2/10 approximately.
Then it is cut to its final dimension.

A good toast of solder paste (a few mmg) to ensure a good grip.
There, the wire used is copper but it is better to do with brass. A lime stroke ...
... 3.5 mm by 2 mm spent on tourmaline.

118F-34.jpg
Detail of the tip of the shaft showing the toad, the backup loops and the return guides of the dross (these horns) to the sheaves used to put it in tension.
The tiller of the rudder is now completely finished. Do not worry, the cotton swab was not used for my ears, just to wipe off the brass items after darkening.
A first dry assembly to see if the assembly presents itself without too much problems.

118F-35.jpg
The starboard curve of the 33rd beam debited from a the 7mm thick board, we can see that these fingers have nothing to envy to those of our friend Eric: modeler's fingers coated with glue and somewhat grimy.
Below the same curve stuck in its place and on the right all the leases above the holy beard.
The holy beard closed, there is only the door to put in place, but it will wait until the work on the battery is a little more advanced.

118F-36.jpg
As I was a bit tired of walking on the first bridge, and the desire to change my mind was there, I started manufacturing the tail. Here are some images of the development of the operation, it is a stack of small pieces of wood that are embedded in each other.

Provisional presentation at the bow. It remains to add the nasturtium curve, to thin the whole on the front and to improve the contact with the bow ...
As it is not planned to represent the studding I only have the glue to assemble all the pieces. As no glue really takes on the finishing treatment, the setting up of the gauge as well as the realization of the "jottereau" is to be done before the passage of the hull fade.
But, what will tomorrow be made of?

118F-37.jpg
The first jottereau out of the workshops of the arsenal of Place de l'Équinoxe.
And in the company of his port brother, he is stuck on the spur under the curve nasturtium.
The filling between the two in progress. The question is asked of the decoration between these two things?
The hawks are finally drilled permanently, the cushions are in place.
Now return to work on the first bridge.

Many thanks once more the interest ----- and many sorry for the translation, which is sometimes not so easy to follow - I am trying my best with my limited possibilities

Back