Model ship plans, scale & pencil line's

Hello everyone I have a question about pencil lines on prints, I have completed the midship frames on the Sussex, I noticed I have come up short on the length between the fore and aft deadwood , the frames are all milled to proper thickness and proper amount of frames, it is short by 5/8" I was wondering why that is, the only thing I can think of is the print grew with the pencil lines, does this sound right to anyone, thanks

20220603_100506.jpg

20220603_100411.jpg

20220603_100523.jpg

Assuming a pencil line is 1/64", by my math 40 frames would result in a deviation of 5/8". From what I can see of your plans, it appears you've got at least 57 frames, so your guess seems quite plausible to me.

Assuming a pencil line is 1/64", by my math 40 frames would result in a deviation of 5/8". From what I can see of your plans, it appears you've got at least 57 frames, so your guess seems quite plausible to me.
Thank you, I think I'm OK I just have to pay attention to the pencil lines, I think the overall print grew with pencil lines, I've been second guessing ever since I'm going keep going.. thank you

You should always meassure from center of the line to center of the line
and also taking the thickness of glue into account.....

It's easy to measure from the existing piece to the new piece but that just compounds any error. You should also measure from the new piece to the end or from the beginning to the new piece. That's not written well but you should always measure repetitive parts from more than one place to avoid compounding errors.

Hello everyone I have a question about pencil lines on prints, I have completed the midship frames on the Sussex, I noticed I have come up short on the length between the fore and aft deadwood , the frames are all milled to proper thickness and proper amount of frames, it is short by 5/8" I was wondering why that is, the only thing I can think of is the print grew with the pencil lines, does this sound right to anyone, thanks

View attachment 312191

View attachment 312192

View attachment 312193
Good afternoon Bird, I'm sorry, don't you have a landmark in the middle of the ship?

Good afternoon Bird, I'm sorry, don't you have a landmark in the middle of the ship?
Yes I have a center point the center frame, it comes up 3/8 short on each end at the fore and aft deadwood, I'm sure i have figured it out, thank you for your time.

Yes I have a center point the center frame, it comes up 3/8 short on each end at the fore and aft deadwood, I'm sure i have figured it out, thank you for your time.
I believe that the measurements of the individuals do not reflect the design, try to measure them, you can always recover in the deviated fifths

Double check the dimensions on the plans! The Dr. Mike videos on youtube have a LOT of tips and tricks to use, but they come at you hard and fast in heavily accented English. It helps to know a little Russian. And of course I can't find them now... Maybe some kind soul can provide a link.

Back