Model Shipways 1/64 USS Niagara

Always a big fan of O.H.P. In preparation for a painting of the Battle of Lake Erie..

View attachment 258223
I am so glad you posted this picture. I am just about ready to take the first steps on building this ship. I see that you are using the base jig without the other pieces. I wondered while building this jig if it was square enough. It didn't look to be. What was your thoughts?
Thanks.

Well, there are a couple of things about that jig that I wish I had the forethought to change..
The biggest is that instead of using the screws and wingnuts provided on the sliding clamp, I wish I had used T nuts and thumbscrews, or at least carriage bolts.
The screws provided aren't carriage bolts.. So they turn when you are tightening and loosening the wingnuts.. Aggravating.

The other thing is that the bow and stern supports are just cumbersome, bulky and get in the way. As is the bulkhead holding apparatus.. So I just don't use them.

The jig can be as square as humanly attainable, I just found it to be more hassle than help. So I use the base only.. When I constructed the base, I used a steel ruler that I knew was straight as a gluing guide.

I bought a Woodpeckers aluminum mini-square and then use the clamps to hold it against the keel. Works for me..

I tend to build in fits and starts.. So you may end up being a reference for me.. Not particularly looking forward to carving the bow and stern blocks.. Dremel tools help.. We'll see..

I tend to build in fits and starts.. So you may end up being a reference for me.. Not particularly looking forward to carving the bow and stern blocks.. Dremel tools help.. We'll see..
So have you made any progress on the Niagara?
I am creeping along. Just about to put the mast support blocks in. Just wanted to pick your brain on this. The masts are 3/8". The slots on the keel are only 5/16". Are we supposed to open the slots to fit the masts?
It just seems odd that it's so far off.
Thanks

Going to try to make some headway this weekend. My oldest son is coming to visit. We are going to build ships together.

Took a break to fly some indoor free flight over the winter and finish a few paintings. There was also some procrastination in that I was a bit daunted by the stern blocks that had to be carved. But good sharp tools and taking my time and they are nearly done. I had forgotten how satisfying carving wood is to the soul.

F6A8A0AB-BA8A-47EA-AF0C-2EF15D42D19C.jpeg

Back