Model Shipways Dory, question about planking

I bought this model to get into the hobby. And as a beginner I think I have made my first mistake

On page 12 of the manual referring to the Garboard plank. It doesnt specify which way the bevel is supposed to face. And since the CNC parts arent labeled port or starboard I'm a bit confused.

There's a line on the plank where you are supposed to make your bevel to. Does this mark face in or out? I think I did it wrong. I glued the line facing in, when I'm now thinking it should have faced out.

There is no way for me to fix that now since I would most likely destroy it pulling it off and rebounding it /regluing it. Which is fine, I will fake it and make the most of it what I can but I would like to place the remaining planks the correct way.

I think I should have placed it the way I'm holding the broad plank... which is right?
16265338445491136491295917486940.jpg

I'm by no means an expert, I'm still working on my first build, but I downloaded the instructions for this boat and it appears that you are correct, you have installed it backwards. If you look on page 14, it shows the profile of the plank after it has been beveled to the line, and the side which had the line on it should point out. The next plank up is beveled in the opposite direction, so it "interlocks" with the plank below. If you look VERY closely at the picture on page 15, you can see the overlap.
Dory page 15.png

Hope this helps.

HI IF YOU WANT TO UNGLUE IT, USE THIS METHOD I HAVE BEEN USING THIS FOR QUITE A NUMBER OF YEARS, WHAT I DO IS GET NAIL POLISH REMOVER SHOULD BE 100%ACOTONE I PUT IT ON THE JOINT AND VERY, VERY CAREFULLY PRY IT LOOSE DO IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECSSARY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY, ALSO PRACTICE ON SOME SCRAP PIECES IT WORKS ON PVA AND CA GLUES, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

There is no way for me to fix that now since I would most likely destroy it pulling it off and rebounding it /regluing it. Which is fine, I will fake it and make the most of it what I can but I would like to place the remaining planks the correct way.
There is an alternative…simply continue to plank the one side backwards. Bevel as required but attach to match the one you already attached backward. It will serve the same purpose of tight plank seams and when done you will not really notice the difference. Leave the already attached plank in place…bevel the others for that side to match…move on…

Last edited:
Back