Model Shipways = Junk

Hello shipmates,

I received a shipment of parts from Model Expo today, made by Model Shipways. I have to tell you, the parts are typical of the low standards that seem to plague this company. The pictures speak louder than words. The grating parts are 33x 1 mm square, 60 in a pack, part# MS2872. The parts are laser burned, with uneven slots wider than the thickness of each strip which makes for loose, sloppy joints. Thumbsdown The ends are inconsistently cut, some at the edge of a fork tine, others between the tines. I learned a valuable lesson: Don't buy multiple items from Model Shipways without buying a single sample first, no matter how much the shipping costs. I'm so pissed, I don't want a refund. :mad:

20210601_193427.jpg

What you THINK you will get as shown on their website...
1622595117468.png

What you actually get....
20210601_193420.jpg

Compare the sloppy fitting MS grating on the right to the gorgeous precise gratings on the left sold by Corel in Italy...
20210601_193707.jpg

I understand your anger, but I'd reach out to them with your complaints. I've never dealt with a situation like you are dealing with, but the times I have had issues, their customer service has always been great.

I understand your anger, but I'd reach out to them with your complaints. I've never dealt with a situation like you are dealing with, but the times I have had issues, their customer service has always been great.
If the product is poor quality, there is nothing they can do. However, I will order Amati or Corel parts from Europe.

Last edited:
Hello shipmates,

I received a shipment of parts from Model Expo today, made by Model Shipways. I have to tell you, the parts are typical of the low standards that seem to plague this company. The pictures speak louder than words. The grating parts are 33x 1 mm square, 60 in a pack, part# MS2872. The parts are laser burned, with uneven slots wider than the thickness of each strip which makes for loose, sloppy joints. Thumbsdown The ends are inconsistently cut, some at the edge of a fork tine, others between the tines. I learned a valuable lesson: Don't buy multiple items from Model Shipways without buying a single sample first, no matter how much the shipping costs. I'm so pissed, I don't want a refund. :mad:

View attachment 236698

View attachment 236696

View attachment 236697

Compare the sloppy fitting MS grating on the right to the gorgeous precise gratings on the left sold by Corel in Italy...
View attachment 236699
On the bag is written "QUALITY FITTINGS" - unfortunately it is not written which quality ;)

On the bag is written "QUALITY FITTINGS" - unfortunately it is not written which quality ;)
In my MS2130 Bluenose I had a mixed bag. The plans are very good and contain a lot of useful information that may also be too small at the 64 scale to be feasible but at a 48 could be produced scratch. I tossed the blocks for Dry Dock ones. Their paint is good for finger painting but also not a good quality for small work and the colors poor. Rigging thread will be disregarded even though provided as wound on a card but not to scale or color for a more realistic rigging. Insufficient brass strips for making the fittings so an expensive additional purchase was needed which had to be milled from wider stock to match the kit supplied strips. The white metal castings were also totally distorted not conforming to the parts needed to be assembled . . also a scratch assembly for the most part. On and on but it resolves in just how much replacement the builder wants for their own presentation. Bottom line was good plans but lacking in the materials. Rich (PT-2)

I think some kit manufacturers suffer from good quality control. With today's high-end technology, produce bad parts should be a shame. The bad parts should never be in a bag. Availability and relatively inexpensive cost of those machines should make a game-changer in the production of such parts. Technically, as cheap as they are (the machinery), we will not require such shops anymore. We will make all the parts by ourselves. We already doing it...

Sometimes I have the feeling, that such bags (thousands of them) were already filled 20 or 30 years ago and stored.
I can not imagine, that you keep the tools over decades - I think often that these fittings are already produced long time ago

Sometimes I have the feeling, that such bags (thousands of them) were already filled 20 or 30 years ago and stored.
I can not imagine, that you keep the tools over decades - I think often that these fittings are already produced long time ago
That makes sense if we accept the mass production system which is totally unlike the Japanese Kon Bon (I think) production upon demand and quality checking frequently to stop the line if something fails QA until the problem is fixed and production resumes. Rich

Definitely complain to Model Shipways. They need to know your concerns and maybe they can address them in the future.

Thank you. That is important information for new builders such as me. I am going to start my first ship, the Charles W Morgan from Model Shipways. I will recheck the items carefully before I start. Once again thanks or the heads up.

Anybody remember the A. J. Fisher catalog?? (probably shows my age!). I haven't ordered anything from them recently but that is where I used to get my copper plates for clipper ship hulls (no longer available) as well as other fittings which were of good quality. I just looked at their catalog No. 70 and they have several "Grating Cherry unassembled" and several "Grating Cherry assembled" on page 19. They used to be located in Royal Oaks, Michigan now Newburyport, MA. Anybody deal with them recently??

Hello shipmates,

View attachment 236698

View attachment 236696

View attachment 236697

View attachment 236699
I’ve also had similar issues my advise if you want excellent parts then buy an inexpensive 3D resin printer and produce your own parts there are several 3D programs for 3D printing that are free and very easy to learn and use. I have a 3D filament printer and I’ve printed some awesome parts for my1:98 scale victory. Look at my posts
Dickii44

I’ve also had similar issues my advise if you want excellent parts then buy an inexpensive 3D resin printer and produce your own parts there are several 3D programs for 3D printing that are free and very easy to learn and use. I have a 3D filament printer and I’ve printed some awesome parts for my1:98 scale victory. Look at my posts
Dickii44
Here a pic of 1 part91EB59C8-0764-4CDE-8AC3-105FD3BC7883.jpeg

I remember when Model Shipways was a quality source of model ship pieces parts. I could go into the local hobby shop (they are no longer around today either) and see display racks of parts packages...of which I often just browsed. Modeler's heaven! I have also built several Model Shipways kits. My latest kit I just got of the Missippee River steamer Chaperone. But I agree that the quality of their kits has declined over the years. In fact, the last few kits I have swapped out many parts for better...mostly gratings, blocks and cleats, cannons in most cases, and decking wood among others. So I expect that with any Model Shipways kit one gets today be prepared to seek out better quality parts as you see fit...although one could probably build a model with a lot of prep of the kit parts? Or, paint covers a multitude of sins?

Last edited:
We’ve become spoiled. Gotten used to the relative perfection of computer/laser produced ‘ready to use’ fittings. Model Shipways kits are NOT ‘junk’. Many older kits and fittings were made with old fashioned machinery. Modellers were used to taking those simpler fittings and finishing themselves — to their own standards. Some still do. And many of those old fittings are still cheap and affordable. Buy some of the currently produced fittings from Falkonet or Syren. See what those babies cost you. Then see some of the top quality models have been built from older Model Shipways kits and fittings But, if you demand instant gratification, (and have the money to spend) buy the newer stuff. I do sometimes ....

Back