Model Shipways Sea Bright Dory Lifeboat

Hello Everyone! This is my first public Build Log. It's my 3rd ship (well, maybe 6th counting those I've started and put aside (aka gave up on for now). It's a fairly easy one (I think) and I'm taking my time with it, practicing my patience as well as skills.

So, the Sea Bright Dory Lifeboat is an Apprentice Kit Skill Level 2, previously by Midwest, now Model Shipways. I really wanted to do a Made-in-America ship because of the instructions mainly. The other ships that I've temporarily abandoned had TERRIBLE instructions and if you're not a seasoned model ship builder, that can be very frustrating and discouraging.

So, enough whining, let's get started! Here's the kit - looks good!2024-03-07 Sea Bright Dory Kit.jpg
In this model, the planks are shaped around two forms on a piece of strongback. Putting the Forms and strongback together was super-easy - no need for photos there. I then attached the stem and the stern to the bottom plank, along with the transom. Still, very simple.

Well, the trouble came when I went to bend the bottom plank. I soaked it in hot water for about an hour. Picked it up, gave it a bend - nothing budged. After mulling it over, I decided to use rubberbands and let the forms do the work. Note that I left the stem hanging over the strongback. I thought more bend in the board would be better than less.
2024-03-21 Bottom Plank Formed.jpg
This worked well, until I went to glue (tack) down one side (the stern) at which point the stern snapped. I think that I was lucky to be able to repair it and gently try again. Starting the planking now. The instructions tell you to use Thin CA. Just not a fan ot it. So, I used it to do a quick tack, then used wood glue along the length to make it strong. Tomorrow, I will remove the forms and strongback. It seems a little early to do this - ooops - UPDATE - although the instructions say to remove from the form right after the 1st plank, subsequent pictures do not show the ship detached from the forms/strongback untill ALL planks are installed. So much for english-language instructions...
2024-03-23 Plank 1.jpg

Glad I read ahead ;)

Built the Midwest kit many years ago, fun build. Sometimes I've left planks soak overnight. If you're not experienced with applying decals, apply a coat of clear gloss before applying the decals and then seal with a flat coat. Otherwise, the sheen of the paint and decals won't match.

Built the Midwest kit many years ago, fun build. Sometimes I've left planks soak overnight. If you're not experienced with applying decals, apply a coat of clear gloss before applying the decals and then seal with a flat coat. Otherwise, the sheen of the paint and decals won't match.
Thank you for the decal advice. The Sea Bright Dory Lifeboat comes with a decal "Atlantic City". Being a Long Islander, I am going to try to make my own decal "Jones Beach". Bought the special inkjet paper and will likely try on scrap wood first. Looks tricky.

Hello Everyone! This is my first public Build Log. It's my 3rd ship (well, maybe 6th counting those I've started and put aside (aka gave up on for now). It's a fairly easy one (I think) and I'm taking my time with it, practicing my patience as well as skills.

So, the Sea Bright Dory Lifeboat is an Apprentice Kit Skill Level 2, previously by Midwest, now Model Shipways. I really wanted to do a Made-in-America ship because of the instructions mainly. The other ships that I've temporarily abandoned had TERRIBLE instructions and if you're not a seasoned model ship builder, that can be very frustrating and discouraging.

So, enough whining, let's get started! Here's the kit - looks good!View attachment 436968
In this model, the planks are shaped around two forms on a piece of strongback. Putting the Forms and strongback together was super-easy - no need for photos there. I then attached the stem and the stern to the bottom plank, along with the transom. Still, very simple.

Well, the trouble came when I went to bend the bottom plank. I soaked it in hot water for about an hour. Picked it up, gave it a bend - nothing budged. After mulling it over, I decided to use rubberbands and let the forms do the work. Note that I left the stem hanging over the strongback. I thought more bend in the board would be better than less.
View attachment 436973
This worked well, until I went to glue (tack) down one side (the stern) at which point the stern snapped. I think that I was lucky to be able to repair it and gently try again. Starting the planking now. The instructions tell you to use Thin CA. Just not a fan ot it. So, I used it to do a quick tack, then used wood glue along the length to make it strong. Tomorrow, I will remove the forms and strongback. It seems a little early to do this - ooops - UPDATE - although the instructions say to remove from the form right after the 1st plank, subsequent pictures do not show the ship detached from the forms/strongback untill ALL planks are installed. So much for english-language instructions...
View attachment 436974

Glad I read ahead ;)
4/19/24 - OK, it's been almost a month. I haven't worked on the boat 'every' day, but I have worked on it more than usual. I emailed Model Expo about the somewhat major mistake in the instructions and they emailed me back right away with corrected instructions attached.

Started planking which went well except that eventually my spacing got too big and now I have an oversized Sea Bright Dory :(

20240324_151212.jpg20240406_073621.jpg20240406_073633.jpg

Last edited:
4/19/24 - OK, it's been almost a month. I haven't worked on the boat 'every' day, but I have worked on it more than usual. I emailed Model Expo about the somewhat major mistake in the instructions and they emailed me back right away with corrected instructions attached.

Started planking which went well except that eventually my spacing got too big and now I have an oversized Sea Bright Dory :(

View attachment 442809View attachment 442810View attachment 442811
I am now working on the ribs. Instructions say to start at the stern but that 1st stern rib looks difficult, so I’m starting at the center. Hopefully by the time I get to the end ribs, I’ll be an expert!
20240413_145554.jpg

Back