Model Shipways Syren by Captgino

Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
29
Points
68

Reviewed the documentation and plan. I have a few items to correct.
Bearding line missing on one side.
20200425_223417.jpg
20200425_223353.jpg
Small adjustments for the deck, some of the blocks are a bit too. high.
20200427_211109.jpg
Sills and Lintels all over the place.
20200425_223417.jpg
Stem was over sanded on one side or misaligned.
20200425_223405.jpg
I am getting to take it apart and correct as much as possible these issues.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
29
Points
68

Deconstruction process.
:P


Numbering and removing Sills and Lintels.
20200425_223019.jpg20200427_210503.jpg
Removed the Stem. I will need to rebuild from scratch.
20200427_212724.jpg
And of course, repairing the broken frame stems
20200427_221123.jpg
I also remove the keel and rabbet strip since they were damaged during my attempt to add the bearding line.
20200427_231425.jpg20200427_210503.jpg20200427_212724.jpg20200427_221123.jpg20200427_231425.jpg20200425_223019.jpg
 
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
29
Points
68

Getting crafty to hold the ship reversed.
20200429_211830.jpg
Worked on the Bearding line quite a bit last night to be able to meet with the 3/32 rabbet strip. The previous one was 1/8 so a lot to catch up to.
20200429_223510.jpg
20200429_223520.jpg

Dry fitting the new keel and the old stem
20200429_225827.jpg
Stem needs to be redone from scratch. It was faired too much and unevenly.
20200429_233216.jpg20200429_233229.jpg
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
29
Points
68

The deconstruction continues on my Syren. I noticed a few issues with frame adjustments. Here is what my survey outlined.
The second and third frames from the stern were too high, resulting in a 1/16 gap between the top of the frame and the center 'spine'.
Inked20200510_205044_LI.jpg.8dcbcea579883fe64461733dddc35807.jpg
The solution was to remove them and the blocks surrounding them and push them down. I had a similar situation in the bow (see below). I was able to use a thin strip to provide a smooth transition across all frames for the deck planking.

Inked20200510_205105_LI.thumb.jpg.fe8f666e6035ff55841343c27e1f6579.jpg

Deconstruction madness in pictures.
:)

Since the frames were glued with white glue, I used Acetone to soften the glue and a few tools to remove them. Time for your shot!
20200510_224307.jpg

Removal frame 2.
20200510_235204.jpg

Dry fitting frame 2.

20200511_000226.jpg
Drama with frame 3. The doctor is busy. LOL.... Gluing and rehabilitation.
20200511_213240.jpg

Dry fitting line with frames 2 and 3. MUCH BETTER !!!
20200511_215948.jpg

Here is the final result.
20200511_233737.jpg20200511_235558.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20200510_224307.jpg
    20200510_224307.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
Top