Modeling timber

I was watching one of the You Tube model builders and he was saying that the pictures of the ship he was building, Montanes, looked like the masts were made of walnut. He showed the pieces that came with the kit, and they look like basswood, very light colored. I think I heard him say Balsa, not sure. I am able to find strip lumber in many varieties of wood, but not dowel for masts and yards. Do you know if you can get dowels in other varieties and colors from the USA?

Home Depot and Lowes have a selection of poplar, cherry, and walnut in different lengths and diameters.

I have used a "Router & Drill" dowel-making jig with great success. Attached is a copy of the original article that I used to set up my jig. My first (and primary)
use for it was to make 3/16" dowels out of walnut and maple. The dowels were then turned in my 12" wood-turning lathe to make pegs for cribbage boards.
The article shows the jig on a free-standing router, but I found that I could attach the jig to the router in my router table. It is much more stable that way.

Attachments

• Dowel-Maker_Router&Drill Jig.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
Back