Modelling The Contemporary Dutch Explorer HALF MOON [COMPLETED BUILD]

Since my last build of the Airfix Trilogy Series, I was recently commissioned to build a scratchbuilt model of the contemporary HALF MOON that was initially built on our shores at Albany, New York in 1988-89. The actual ship was in request for the New Netherland Festival that was to be held in New York City that October of 1989 at the Waldorf Astoria -with the Royal Family in attendance. My first ship model was featured at the event.

Two decades later I was commissioned again to build a second HALF MOON as a diorama which was to celebrate the arrival of Hendrick Hudson to his namesake river in 1609. That diorama was exhibited at Ellis Island during New York State's festivities of that event -which was known a hundred years prior as The Hudson-Fulton Celebration of 1909. The diorama was commissioned in 2009 to celebrate Hudson's discovery of the famed river; but also to acknowledge the Lenape Indians that approached the vessel as it entered the mouth of the river from the Atlantic Ocean.

Over a 33 year period I have seen many HALF MOON model interpretations and have embraced them all. However, I have not seen any copies produced on the 1989 build that occurred in Albany -and from now, the ship is berthed in the Netherlands. Unlike most replicas that had met its fate; HALF MOON seem to have weathered the storm of longevity,,,similar to MAYFOWER and our beloved frigate CONSTITUTION.

So now, I embark on this current project as a solid hull build, where the other two were plank on frame assignments.

These current images will highlight the early stages of the actual ship -and my current build relative to it. Thanks for viewing!

HALF MOON Profile Drawing, Rex Stewart c.1989.png001 (3).jpg

Half Moon at Albany Yacht Club dock -Albany skyline in distance c.1989.jpg Half Moon trial run at Albany Snow Dock -September 1989.jpg

20DSCN2970.jpg 24DSCN3016.jpg

25DSCN3037.jpg 28DSCN30621.jpg

Last edited:
While the hull is being constructed from the interior -outward, I work on some of the features that are important to give me a better perspective on the outcome of the vessel. The features in question are the masts, yards and rigging blocks. Those alone can make or break the appearance of a model. From there, I move on to the ship's boat, anchors and sails -with key emphasis on the flags.

The flags give advanced ideas on how to set the sails, yards, and rigging before actually applying them. This has been the basis for making this model realistic in miniature. The supporting material show this stage of build.

5DSCN2857.jpg 15DSCN2923.jpg

6DSCN2874.jpg 14DSCN3176.jpg

14DSCN2896.jpg 11DSCN2886.jpg

29DSCN3107.jpg

In this next segment, I show the hull of Half Moon prior to her lift into the Hudson River at Albany, New York. This occurred in April of 1989. The design and build was what I expected -with a few minor changes builder Nick Benton made along the way. However, these images of the model will show what we discussed in our early correspondence/meetings prior to the rigging.

As a contemporary ship, this is probably the most accurate model that highlight the early years of Half Moon before drastic changes were made. However, it must be understood that it is only a replica, as NO ONE knows her true appearance. This model is built to celebrate what was endearing to the Hudson Valley when she was here. The research that was made on her was first-rate at that time...with little or no improvements.

These images highlight the next stage of the build with the positioning of the masts before all deck furniture is placed.

Bow of Half Moon at Snow Dock before lift to Hudson River c.1989.jpg1.jpg Half Moon at Snow Dock before lift to Hudson River c.1989...003.jpg

31DSCN3104.jpg 32DSCN3136.jpg

35DSCN3162.jpg

36DSCN31801.jpg 38DSCN3188.jpg

38DSCN3200.jpg

These early images reflect the original build of HALF MOON at Albany, New York's Snow Dock. My occasional visit to the sight helped to get the type model seen on this thread. However, there were some modifications that changed on the actual ship opposite my model at that time. Today, I return back to 'another' commissioned model and add those modifications in this build.

Rigging has remained 'front and center' throughout the week...and hope to have it finished over the weekend. In the meantime I enclose these current images, in kind. Thanks, again, for viewing!

Dutch Apple audience viewing the build of Half Moon -May 1989.jpg

Half Moon work crew at Albany, New York Snow Dock -May 1989.jpg Sanding the main port channel of Half Moon -May 1989.jpg

Volunteer working on Half Moon forecastle -May 1989.jpg

49DSCN3323.jpg

59DSCN3457.jpg 60DSCN3443.jpg

61DSCN3463.jpg 57DSCN3488.jpg

62DSCN3481.jpg

The HALF MOON model was shipped to New York City recently and I'm delighted that the build was successful due, in part, with my other commitments. I appreciate the follow concerning this build and post the final images, in kind. Again, there are many versions of this vessel, so no one should claim accuracy to one concept. Even her colors have been debated when she was built on our shore in Albany.

However, the colors that were used was based on Mr. Benton's research he brought back from his visit to The Netherlands. From it, we collaborated and finalized what is shown here. Some of the deck fixtures were re-arranged during her build (or omitted at that time in 1989). Yet, she still proved to be a fine sailor and was our mascot for tourism during the summer/fall months until she left our State in 2015. So without further comment, here's the finished model with a few references to it.

Fair winds!

Half Moon frame and ribbing at Albany Snow Dock -August 1988.jpg Half Moon on the Hudson -November 1989.jpg

65DSCN3518.jpg 66DSCN3601.jpg

68DSCN3616.jpg 71DSCN3656 1.jpg

73DSCN3635 (2).jpg 88DSCN3727.jpg

76DSCN3740.jpg 85DSCN3736.jpg

82DSCN3760.jpg 84DSCN3752.jpg

89DSCN3730.jpg

94DSCN3697.jpg

Congratulations for finishing the great model - a beauty, so the new owner will be very happy
Very well done Thumbsup

Congratulations for finishing the great model - a beauty, so the new owner will be very happy
Very well done Thumbsup
Many thanks! It was an interesting project for a small 17th century vessel. I'm now putting my thoughts to addressing the Airfix Series SAINT LOUIS. But there's alot of modifying to be done so I need to do more research.

Since my last build of the Airfix Trilogy Series, I was recently commissioned to build a scratchbuilt model of the contemporary HALF MOON that was initially built on our shores at Albany, New York in 1988-89. The actual ship was in request for the New Netherland Festival that was to be held in New York City that October of 1989 at the Waldorf Astoria -with the Royal Family in attendance. My first ship model was featured at the event.

Two decades later I was commissioned again to build a second HALF MOON as a diorama which was to celebrate the arrival of Hendrick Hudson to his namesake river in 1609. That diorama was exhibited at Ellis Island during New York State's festivities of that event -which was known a hundred years prior as The Hudson-Fulton Celebration of 1909. The diorama was commissioned in 2009 to celebrate Hudson's discovery of the famed river; but also to acknowledge the Lenape Indians that approached the vessel as it entered the mouth of the river from the Atlantic Ocean.

Over a 33 year period I have seen many HALF MOON model interpretations and have embraced them all. However, I have not seen any copies produced on the 1989 build that occurred in Albany -and from now, the ship is berthed in the Netherlands. Unlike most replicas that had met its fate; HALF MOON seem to have weathered the storm of longevity,,,similar to MAYFOWER and our beloved frigate CONSTITUTION.

So now, I embark on this current project as a solid hull build, where the other two were plank on frame assignments.

These current images will highlight the early stages of the actual ship -and my current build relative to it. Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 301812View attachment 301814

View attachment 301816 View attachment 301817

View attachment 301818 View attachment 301819

View attachment 301820 View attachment 301821
Hallo @Broadsides
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back