Modern cargo ship plans

Long shot, but the folks here seem to be an endless resource of information. I know the Great Lakes Historical Collection at BGSU has a vast collection of plans for somewhat modern ships, many long gone as well, but they do not have any plans for ships like what I am after. However....... there are 2 different types of ships that I am looking for plans (at least more than just general arrangements) that will give me enough information to construct a model from. These would be future builds as I have 2 on the go currently, with one more in line once those are done. I think it's best that I include a picture of what I am looking for. Would be looking for these at Seawaymax size ( "Laker" class ), not the larger ones that would not be able to fit the St. Lawrence Seaway locks.

A) heavy lift cargo ship, similar to this - these are a rather common visitor to the great lakes region with "project cargo", mostly wind mill parts.
http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/salty/BBCMontBlanc-8-3-20-RH-3.jpg
In the background of this picture is the waterfront park that is a couple blocks from my house!

B) general cargo ship - like this:
http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newsthumbsb/images-11-3/8-Drawsko-8-10-11-jm.jpg

you can do what i do and start sending emails to everyone you never know who might know something

Last edited:
you can do what i do and start sending emails to everyone you never know who might know something

Thanks for the list. I have checked out most of these, but will check out the ones I wasn't familiar with.

I've even reached out to a couple of the ship companies, and they are not willing to provide anything other than pamphlets or general arrangements that are available just from their websites. Safety reasons is one of the biggest responses, and I understand why. Even tried the naval architect firm that design the new Canada Steamship Lines freighters, which I love to build one of these too, but they weren't willing to help either.

There is a FB page for Great Lakes model builders. Some of the people there have a phenomenal knowledge of sources. They might focus more on domestic ships, but I would start there.

Back