Monographs---I am confused.!!

I thought I knew these things. Apparently NOT.!!
I am buying some additional references for my modeling shelf. I cannot figure out the difference between a monograph and a book or a booklet or a pamphlet. I mean...I KNOW what a monograph is (I've written several on different subjects...scholarly works..). Today, I have seen several times what appear to be the same reference items labeled as a "book" by one vendor and a "monograph" by a different vendor. Because of this, I wonder if these different listings are different items (the prices were significantly different..).
Please...Someone tell me specifically about monographs as the term applies to ship modeling reference material.
I MUST be missing something.!!
Thanks...!!

Take a look here

Hmmm... Yes, I understand. Your link brings me back here, Zoly. But nothing is solved...?? I was just trying to understand why different vendors had the same items listed differently (one listed as "book", one listed as "monograph"..). I needed to know what the difference was before ordering. So, I asked someone to tell me what a "monograph" was .... as it applies to ship modeling.!!

Brian077 was kind enough to tell me that monographs (typically..) included a plan-set...although the ones I looked at earlier today said nothing about a separate plan-set. One indicated that "plans" were included "in the book", the other did not mention it at all.

Oh well.... I guess I will figure it out if/when I order.!!

Hmmm... Yes, I understand. Your link brings me back here, Zoly. But nothing is solved...?? I was just trying to understand why different vendors had the same items listed differently (one listed as "book", one listed as "monograph"..). I needed to know what the difference was before ordering. So, I asked someone to tell me what a "monograph" was .... as it applies to ship modeling.!!

Brian077 was kind enough to tell me that monographs (typically..) included a plan-set...although the ones I looked at earlier today said nothing about a separate plan-set. One indicated that "plans" were included "in the book", the other did not mention it at all.

Oh well.... I guess I will figure it out if/when I order.!!
Might @Uwek can explain tomorrow ,he has all of them

G'day Hobbit99, before you order just ask them if the plans are separate or included in the book, then you can determine which seller you want to buy from, hope you get it all sorted out,

best regards John,

Yes, the plans are large scale sheets which are in the book folder.
They are seperate to the book to enable the modeller to pin the plans on the workshop wall. Its common to have up to 15 sheets of plans along with the book.

Yes... I have several plan-sets laying around. Very useful. However, I have never purchased a "monograph".... hence my confusion.
I am a published writer, and a college instructor. I have written several "white papers" and "monographs" as the term applies to scholarly pursuits. However it is obvious that my understanding of "monograph" as it applies to model ship building is lacking.!!
I continue my pursuit of knowledge...!!!
Thanks again, my friend...

Last edited:
G'day Hobbit99, before you order just ask them if the plans are separate or included in the book, then you can determine which seller you want to buy from, hope you get it all sorted out,

best regards John,

Thanks, John....
That is probably the best solution.!! Just trying to better "understand" the terminology without guessing.!!
I'll email the different vendors before ordering.!

Thanks Again...

Hello Hobiit99. Maybe this one helps you to understand (in principal)

I know at Acrne in France, the Monograph comes with book and plan set, but since some books are new language translations and folks already have a full monograph with book, but they want the new translated book there are separate listing and prices for just the book, as in English book only versus ordering the Angles monograph with English translation of the book with plan set. I have been told many plan sets are language neutral with images and measurements but no text, so they can be added to a book of any translation available.

I know at Acrne in France, the Monograph comes with book and plan set, but since some books are new language translations and folks already have a full monograph with book, but they want the new translated book there are separate listing and prices for just the book, as in English book only versus ordering the Angles monograph with English translation of the book with plan set. I have been told many plan sets are language neutral with images and measurements but no text, so they can be added to a book of any translation available.

Thanks, Kurt. Your explanation seems most likely. It's unfortunate that everyone doesn't follow the same methodology.
I'm relatively new to model ships, but not to modeling. When I start something, I stick with it and do my research. I hate seeing conflicting information where there is no reason or opinion involved. So I try to resolve the questions for my own benefit and knowledge. I AM particular about things....it's one of my flaws. Still, I want to do and understand things correctly.
Thanks for your help. I will continue to research before purchasing my shelf references.
Thanks Again...

Hallo,
very often different publisher and also dealer are using different descriptions for their publications and not using a fixed terminology of the word "monograph".
When we take for example the french company ancre as a well known publisher, and a huge number of my "Planset-Reviews" and "Book-Reviews" are publications from them, are using the term "Monograph"
a2aa.JPG

Ancre is offfering monographs,
(usually) including
1) a book or booklet describing the history of the vessel, technical details and descriptions of the drawings
and
2) a complete planset of 10 to 40 sheets of plans and drawings in the different scales, showing all the details of the ship

I am using in my Reviews here in the forum the same terms and wordings like ancre.....

Special service by ancre:
A) Due to the fact, that some modelers have already the Monograph in french language, ancre is offering often also the booklet separate (without drawings) but in a different language, f.e. english
B) Due to the fact, that some modelers want to build the model in a different scale, than the original scale of the planset, they are offering also sometimes the planset alone (without book or booklet) in the required scale.

Other publisher are using the word monograph also for publications where only one or two plansheets are attached. Therefore I suggest, that you should read very carefully what the dealer or publisher is offering and describing in the Synopsis etc.

You did not mention, which planset, book or monograph you are looking for - Maybe, when I / We know, which one you mean, we can tell you more in detail, what you can expect
So, which one you are interested?

You might also check the forums

I believe we have a separate forum for review of Monographs and plansets.

Also look in the forum for Buy, Sell and Trade for books that others may not need and have for sale. I have purchase several gently used books from forum members

The term monograph is only used by Ancre in this instance.Other publishers,for example Seawatch books just call the same thing a book.With something like HMS Sussex by Gilbert McArdle,you get a proper book and a pack of multiple sheets of drawings.Anatomy of the ship books are different again.The plans in these are printed on the books pages and will,more often than not need enlarging to build a model.
There really isn't a standard format,you must investigate the description of the publication before you buy.

Kind Regards

Nigel

You might also check the forums

I believe we have a separate forum for review of Monographs and plansets.

Also look in the forum for Buy, Sell and Trade for books that others may not need and have for sale. I have purchase several gently used books from forum members

You said... "I believe we have a separate forum for review of Monographs and plansets."
Yes.... That is where we are now, right here.!! :D

Thanks for the idea about the "for sale" forum. I had not thought about that. I will check it out.!! Thumbsup

The term monograph is only used by Ancre in this instance.Other publishers,for example Seawatch books just call the same thing a book.With something like HMS Sussex by Gilbert McArdle,you get a proper book and a pack of multiple sheets of drawings.Anatomy of the ship books are different again.The plans in these are printed on the books pages and will,more often than not need enlarging to build a model.
There really isn't a standard format,you must investigate the description of the publication before you buy.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Nigel....
Yes, that is what I have discovered.!! I have looked at several "vendors" including Abe Books, Ancre, BlueJacket, and of course Amazon (and several others as well..). As you have recommended, I will just have to contact the vendors and ask questions BEFORE I purchase.
Thanks for your time.!!

Hallo,
very often different publisher and also dealer are using different descriptions for their publications and not using a fixed terminology of the word "monograph".
When we take for example the french company ancre as a well known publisher, and a huge number of my "Planset-Reviews" and "Book-Reviews" are publications from them, are using the term "Monograph"

Ancre is offfering monographs,
(usually) including
1) a book or booklet describing the history of the vessel, technical details and descriptions of the drawings
and
2) a complete planset of 10 to 40 sheets of plans and drawings in the different scales, showing all the details of the ship

Other publisher are using the word monograph also for publications where only one or two plansheets are attached. Therefore I suggest, that you should read very carefully what the dealer or publisher is offering and describing in the Synopsis etc.

You did not mention, which planset, book or monograph you are looking for - Maybe, when I / We know, which one you mean, we can tell you more in detail, what you can expect
So, which one you are interested?

THANK YOU, Uwek.....

i understand what you are saying. There is no 'control' over the use of the terminology. "Monograph" means different things to different vendors.
Ancre has some GREAT books and monographs. I really want to buy several of them.!! Unfortunately, the pricing and shipping have stopped me for now. I really want the four volume set of the "74 Gun".... It is a fascinating idea to build a "generic" ship in this manner.!! I will definitely order that set--hopefully soon.!! There are several others there as well.!!

To answer your question: I am not looking for anything in particular. I own six or eight ship modeling books right now. I am trying to find more books with details on POF, scratch building, lofting from plans, and Rigging. I also need a complete book on "terminology". Some of the terms I am seeing make no sense to me. I WILL figure it out though.!!

Thank you my friend....

THANK YOU, Uwek.....

i understand what you are saying. There is no 'control' over the use of the terminology. "Monograph" means different things to different vendors.
Ancre has some GREAT books and monographs. I really want to buy several of them.!! Unfortunately, the pricing and shipping have stopped me for now. I really want the four volume set of the "74 Gun".... It is a fascinating idea to build a "generic" ship in this manner.!! I will definitely order that set--hopefully soon.!! There are several others there as well.!!

To answer your question: I am not looking for anything in particular. I own six or eight ship modeling books right now. I am trying to find more books with details on POF, scratch building, lofting from plans, and Rigging. I also need a complete book on "terminology". Some of the terms I am seeing make no sense to me. I WILL figure it out though.!!

Thank you my friend....
Take a look also in our Book Review area, where you find interesting examples of publications which could be helpful for your research and preparation.
There you find for example also the four volumes of the 74-gun ship from Jean Boudriot
We have also one special topic, where members shortly introduce new purchased books - sometimes very interesting to see and follow, which publications are bought by others...

Back