Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

So I have been waiting for a couple months to be able to get this ship and finally got the chance to get her. She is quite a large kit and a well invited challenge and next step in my path to developing as a model ship builder. IMG_20220416_162357389_HDR.jpg
This one is as big as my back seat which is crazy. I have been looking at logs and diagrams for weeks and once I got the ship home i did the normal check over the whole kit and found that unlike most of models where it's a set of plywood for the skeleton this kit comes with particle board. It's lighter but it doesn't feel as strong which leads me to believe that is why most modelers use balsa blocks in the slots in-between the bulk heads. IMG_20220416_203324055.jpgIMG_20220416_211432891.jpgIMG_20220416_211438324.jpg
Nice aligned and doing an overnight dry so I can start in morning on the deck. And start getting some next steps done.

So here is my first question with this ship. What is the normal width and length of a plank for ships.... So the other ships I have seen the have done 0.5x5 mm planks for the deck. Fine cool I can live with this. But this kit. Which is at 1:70 decided it wants 1x3mm planks for the deck. So which is technically the right width to use in regards to this model?

IMG_20220417_131826541.jpg

H
So here is my first question with this ship. What is the normal width and length of a plank for ships.... So the other ships I have seen the have done 0.5x5 mm planks for the deck. Fine cool I can live with this. But this kit. Which is at 1:70 decided it wants 1x3mm planks for the deck. So which is technically the right width to use in regards to this model?

View attachment 303815
Good evening Rob. My Victory a 1:72 had 0.5 x 3 for the deck planking. I would quite like a 1mm thick plank as it gives me more to play when it comes to scrapping or sanding the deck. What the actual scale measurements for the Montanes I wouldn’t know. Happy modeling. Cheers Grant

H

Good evening Rob. My Victory a 1:72 had 0.5 x 3 for the deck planking. I would quite like a 1mm thick plank as it gives me more to play when it comes to scrapping or sanding the deck. What the actual scale measurements for the Montanes I wouldn’t know. Happy modeling. Cheers Grant
I have not done a higher quality model so it's good to have confirmation that this is the expected size! Thank you Grant

Rob - my Kolderstok Batavia / Haarlem at 1:72 scale came with 0.7mm x 3mm planks. My Willem Barentsz has 4mm deck planking. Grant is correct in saying that you have more leeway with 1mm-thick planks, but I didn't and you don't have that luxury. I would just make sure that you sand them to a unform thickness before you start planking - they will be fine.

Rob - my Kolderstok Batavia / Haarlem at 1:72 scale came with 0.7mm x 3mm planks. My Willem Barentsz has 4mm deck planking. Grant is correct in saying that you have more leeway with 1mm-thick planks, but I didn't and you don't have that luxury. I would just make sure that you sand them to a unform thickness before you start planking - they will be fine.
For sure that is the plan but there is another issue with this ship as I have been looking over some build logs I have come to find that, atleast on the top deck, there is an arch to the deck from mid to outter decks.
post-215-0-46962100-1361022969_thumb.jpg
post-215-0-64220400-1361023817_thumb.jpg
It is kind of hard to see but from the sloping I am assuming this is to keep water from pooling on deck and help to prevent issues from occuring with choppy seas.

This is the only reason I see for the thickness I got for the deck planking. It's more of the width I was questioning but doing some calculations, I found that 4mm-5.5mm is around what my scales planking should be.
Normal planks are 12" - 16" wide roughly which at my scale is about .17"-.22" which correlates to the 4mm - 5.5mm.

Oto moje pierwsze pytanie dotyczące tego statku. Jaka jest normalna szerokość i długość deski dla statków... Więc inne statki, które widziałem, zrobiły deski 0,5x5 mm na pokład. W porządku, mogę z tym żyć. Ale ten zestaw. Który w 1:70 zdecydował, że chce deski 1x3mm na pokład. Jaka jest technicznie odpowiednia szerokość w odniesieniu do tego modelu?

View attachment 303815
Witaj
Niedawno właśnie skończyłem Montanes, który wymieniłem drzewo na pokład i burty . Na pokłady dały listki o szer. 4 mm temu dzięki temu mogłem zrobić kołkowanie pokładów. Moja relacja jest na forum możesz sobie przejrzeć jeśli masz ochotę.
Pozdrawiam Mirek Ps .jestem ciekaw twojej pracy

Witaj
Niedawno właśnie skończyłem Montanes, który wymieniłem drzewo na pokład i burty . Na pokłady dały listki o szer. 4 mm temu dzięki temu mogłem zrobić kołkowanie pokładów. Moja relacja jest na forum możesz sobie przejrzeć jeśli masz ochotę.
Pozdrawiam Mirek Ps .jestem ciekaw twojej pracy
Thank you so much and I hope I can learn from you and capi and all the Montanes builders :)

Now I have gotten the first dry fitting done for her. Still much work to do on this part but want to make sure I keep this in mind and make sure that it all aligns. IMG_20220419_212956927.jpgIMG_20220419_212952768.jpgIMG_20220419_212925596.jpgIMG_20220419_212230331.jpgIMG_20220419_212221889.jpg
I did staggered planking at 5cm intervals in sets of 5 with 30 cm planks. The soft pencil coloring did not show through like I wanted to so I'll make sure to make the markings darker on the top deck. Still a lot of work because I need to do the treenails which I'll do out of toothpicks. Then sand her down to 400 grit and put a nice coat on her of dark walnut stain.

Yea I have plans but it's execution that's the issue lol. But slow and steady is the name of the game

Thanks to the Lord for all his grace on me to have ability and thank you for visiting my log. @Daniel20 and @dockattner this is the log btw.

IMG_20220419_212221889.jpg

IMG_20220419_212230331.jpg

Alright so I have been going slow and steady and I am feeling so good about this. Started out with drilling down with 0.5 mm drilled holes and used some treenails(good ol toothpicks lol) and glued and sanded them down. IMG_20220420_181511337.jpgIMG_20220420_222639022.jpgIMG_20220421_190954190.jpg
Then I used a water/soap mixture to do a clean over all the work and this is how it turned out. Sorry for the bad lighting be it's dark lolIMG_20220420_222631912.jpgIMG_20220421_200759101.jpgIMG_20220421_200812036.jpg
I'll do the other half and then I'm going to do the stain all at once to make sure it's nice and even.

Two suggestions bro. the treenails have to also go in the planks anywhere a frame would be underneath. You'll have many lines of nails going across the deck. The dark walnut stain,,, ? I wouldn't stain anything until you know exactly what colors and shades the other parts of the ship will be. Normally the deck is a light color, lighter than most everything else. That kit contains beautiful wood. It would be a disservice to stain or paint anything unless you really have to.

Two suggestions bro. the treenails have to also go in the planks anywhere a frame would be underneath. You'll have many lines of nails going across the deck. The dark walnut stain,,, ? I wouldn't stain anything until you know exactly what colors and shades the other parts of the ship will be. Normally the deck is a light color, lighter than most everything else. That kit contains beautiful wood. It would be a disservice to stain or paint anything unless you really have to.
So I have been scouring the web trying to find pictures of the deck and some pictures to go off for the ship and I'm not finding much which is different then the photo on the front of the OcCre website.
images.jpeg702499314_foroNA.thumb.jpg.637b3fab913caa9b1b68ee953226ddee.jpgFight_of_the_Poursuivante_mp3h9426.jpg

So based off of the photos I have found of the Navio Montanes I am going with the black Wales with yellow which looks more like the victoy color of yellow.

Hi,
Nice kit and a good ans fast start on this ship. I will follow your work because there is a San Ildefonso waiting for me in my bedroom, under my bed.
More or less, it is the same kit.
Regards.

Hi,
Nice kit and a good ans fast start on this ship. I will follow your work because there is a San Ildefonso waiting for me in my bedroom, under my bed.
More or less, it is the same kit.
Regards.
You are quite welcome to pull up a chair. I hope I can do some justice to this kit and help in some way.

Back