Muscongus Bay lobster smack Midwest Models 1:24 scale

Well I decided to start on the Lobster Smack to see how much better a job I can do compared to my previous build. Shortly after starting I discovered that sheet 2 of 2 of the plans is missing. A few critical dimensions and the rigging plan is on that sheet. Fortunately the instruction booklet is detailed enough that I think I can finish the model without that sheet. I will have to guess at the length of the boom and gaff and the rigging is very simple. Apparently quite a few modelers have completed this kit as there are several completed builds when I go to google images. I have completed the framework and will start on planking the hull next. This is an easy job as there are only two planks per side. Since I recently acquired a large supply of lumber for planking I think I will add a little flavor to the model by planking the deck and cabin roof.

stage 01 001.jpgstage 01 002.jpgstage 01 003.jpgstage 01 004.jpgstage 01 005.jpgstage 01 006.jpgstage 02 001.jpgstage 02 002.jpgstage 02 003.jpgstage 02 004.jpgstage 02 005.jpgstage 02 006.jpgstage 02 007.jpg

A good start Bob. I found the 2 Bow blocks that are Balsa wood were the same shape, fitted ok one side but not the other side. I think this is where my problems with the Hull started. Good luck with it,
Cheers Andy

My filler blocks are mirror images, ie. a left and right handed pair and installed correctly. A lot to cut away but the fit was tight.

Well I got a fresh supply of superglue yesterday, a friend picked up a bottle of the gel type which in this case seemed to have worked better than the thin type. What I accomplished in this session was the installation of the bow filler blocks and the two planks on the left side. I first installed the upper plank and as recommended by the instructions faired it into the strake. This was preceded by soaking the plank in warm water mixed with 91% alcohol for about 10 minutes. After it dried out I did the cutting and sanding as shown. I cut and sanded the bow filler block and then after again soaking the lower plank I managed to twist it into place with the use of the gel superglue it stuck firm. I let the water evaporate and then cut and sanded it all smooth. It's going to need a little wood filler but not as much as I thought it would. Even though I plan to plank the deck and cabin roof I think I am going to forgo the urge to over plank the hull.

stage 03 001.jpgstage 03 002.jpgstage 03 003.jpgstage 03 004.jpgstage 03 005.jpgstage 03 006.jpgstage 03 007.jpg

Interesting little boat boat Bob,curious what you bring out of it,you have a good start.

I have finished constructing the hull and have added the stem. Due to some over sanding in the bow area I had to add some filler putty where the stem and hull meet. I used Tamiya white putty intended for use on plastic models as it has a much smoother texture than the wood filler I have. Next I will be adding several coats of sanding ealer prior to painting the hull.

stage 04 001.jpgstage 04 002.jpgstage 04 003.jpgstage 04 004.jpgstage 04 005.jpg

I have painted the hull using floquil bulwarks white. Nothing like a coat of paint and a digital camera to bring out the flaws. So it looks like I'll be doing a little more filling before applying the next coat of paint. A little hint, when working on one of the midwest boat models or any other kit that uses balsa it is a good idea to hold it up to a bright light which will identify areas where the sanding has gotten the wood too thin for any further sanding. There are a couple of places where the hull is paper thin. I hope that four coats of sanding sealer and a coat of paint has firmed things up. Maybe I'll add some reinforcement from the inside where the hull can be reached.

stage 05 001.jpgstage 05 002.jpgstage 05 003.jpgstage 05 004.jpg

Coming along nicely. Got the smack in the stash, so your log is of great interest.
I really like these little "working boats". I've built mostly plastic floaty things, but have done several little wood boats now. I like the study of the histories of these as well.

EJ

I decided to do a little additional work on the boat, as in planking the deck. I was given a big stack of thin mahogany strips and decided to use some of them. It would have been smarter to do the planking before installing the cabin walls.

deck planking 001.jpgdeck planking 002.jpgdeck planking 003.jpg

Back