MY BLUENOSE- YUANQING SCALE 1:72 SCALE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Decks look great Lawrence. I have always said oil for furniture and clear coat for models. But that is my personal preference and I can’t possibly expect everyone to agree. But I never have any issues with gluing parts! ;)
Hello Dean, That is a great philosophy and it seams to work very well for you. I have little or no experience with water basted stains and am rather afraid to try.
Regards Lawrence

As per usual I am late to comment, but time is of late a scarce commodity. May I add my two cents to the Tung Oil debate in answer to @GrantTyler Grant's question. Real Tung Oil comes from China and even then, there are different varieties. I am in the fortunate position that I have access to the purest of pure Tung Oil, i.e., 100%. I have used it on the Steamed Pearwood of my Unicorn Sampan, on the Pearwood of my Leudo and on the Elm wood of my 1935 Bowman Swallow steamboat No finish on earth (and that includes the much-vaunted Bitumen of Judea) comes close to real Tung on Pear (in my opinion).

BUT

No glue will stick to it, Scraped, sanded, after a year, two years or even three years (as in the case of the Bowman). As a result of that, I do not use it anymore. Now that I have discovered water-based CLOU stain, I will not use anything else.
Hello Henrich, I do thank you very much for your input into the Tung Oil debate. I do love the results of the Tung Oil but gluing after wards is another story. Seams that I should try some of these water basted stains.
Regards Lawrence

As per usual I am late to comment, but time is of late a scarce commodity. May I add my two cents to the Tung Oil debate in answer to @GrantTyler Grant's question. Real Tung Oil comes from China and even then, there are different varieties. I am in the fortunate position that I have access to the purest of pure Tung Oil, i.e., 100%. I have used it on the Steamed Pearwood of my Unicorn Sampan, on the Pearwood of my Leudo and on the Elm wood of my 1935 Bowman Swallow steamboat No finish on earth (and that includes the much-vaunted Bitumen of Judea) comes close to real Tung on Pear (in my opinion).

BUT

No glue will stick to it, Scraped, sanded, after a year, two years or even three years (as in the case of the Bowman). As a result of that, I do not use it anymore. Now that I have discovered water-based CLOU stain, I will not use anything else.
Good morning Heinrich. Thanks for this. I would most certainly have charged off and “Tunged “ my deck with some challenges later. I’m not sure if I can get Clou here. Apologies Lawrence, hijacking your log for a moment, but does Clou change the wood colour much Heinrich? Cheers Grant

Good morning Heinrich. Thanks for this. I would most certainly have charged off and “Tunged “ my deck with some challenges later. I’m not sure if I can get Clou here. Apologies Lawrence, hijacking your log for a moment, but does Clou change the wood colour much Heinrich? Cheers Grant
Yes, I also need to apologize to my old friend for turning his Bluenose log into a Tung Info Center, but I am sure Lawrence will not mind.

Grant, I used CLOU on the oak WB so you can see exactly what it looks like.

Hello Henrich, My old friend could you explain what type of this CLOU do you use and how do you apply it? This is all new to me but it sounds very interesting. It may be the way around this Tung glue no stick issue that is keeping me away from oiling my ship until all is finished and in place.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Dean, This looks so very easy to work with, I have been trying all afternoon to try to locate it here in Canada but with no luck as yet. Will give it another try tomorrow.
Regards Lawrence

Dear Lawrence

If you want to know more about the CLOU that I have been mentioning, please have a look at the following - both links kindly supplied by @Uwek Uwe.

This is a link to the CLOU website: https://www.clou-shop.eu/clou-heimwerker/holzlacke/g1-schnellschleif-grundierung.html

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...640_tm-schnellschleif-grundierung-pdf.320168/

In the USA there are some selections of Clou products including stains

Clou USA – out of love for wood

In addition, @Jimsky Jim also mentioned another finishing product for wood available in the USA - OSMO. osmocolorusa.com
Here some of their products in Lee Valey
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sea...sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25

However, back to the CLOU

From the color chart indication, I thought that the CLOU Medium stain was the one to go for.

Pulverbeize_164_eiche-mittel_D.jpg

I subsequently mixed the 5 grams of CLOU powder stain with 250ml of hot water. The mix was instantaneous and no shaking or stirring whatsoever was required.

微信图片_20220813151046.jpg

Mixed, I had my doubts as it looked very dark, almost black in the glass bottle. However, I poured a little on a nice soft cloth and wiped it onto my test piece of oak. The result?

微信图片_20220813101008.jpg

And on the ship

微信图片_20221225140353.jpg

However, I will share a secret with you. On the WB, I used Bluenose Pear's hull planking to plank my deck of the WB and I just left it completely natural with no finish whatsoever.

微信图片_20230127114136.jpg
In my opinion this provided me with just the effect I was looking for. If I had to add a finish, I would choose a clear, matt poly finish. Try Googling Dulux's products in Canada for that.

Dear Lawrence

If you want to know more about the CLOU that I have been mentioning, please have a look at the following - both links kindly supplied by @Uwek Uwe.

This is a link to the CLOU website: https://www.clou-shop.eu/clou-heimwerker/holzlacke/g1-schnellschleif-grundierung.html

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...640_tm-schnellschleif-grundierung-pdf.320168/

In the USA there are some selections of Clou products including stains

Clou USA – out of love for wood

In addition, @Jimsky Jim also mentioned another finishing product for wood available in the USA - OSMO. osmocolorusa.com
Here some of their products in Lee Valey
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sea...sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25

However, back to the CLOU

From the color chart indication, I thought that the CLOU Medium stain was the one to go for.

View attachment 353720

I subsequently mixed the 5 grams of CLOU powder stain with 250ml of hot water. The mix was instantaneous and no shaking or stirring whatsoever was required.

View attachment 353721

Mixed, I had my doubts as it looked very dark, almost black in the glass bottle. However, I poured a little on a nice soft cloth and wiped it onto my test piece of oak. The result?

View attachment 353722

And on the ship

View attachment 353723

However, I will share a secret with you. On the WB, I used Bluenose Pear's hull planking to plank my deck of the WB and I just left it completely natural with no finish whatsoever.

View attachment 353728
In my opinion this provided me with just the effect I was looking for. If I had to add a finish, I would choose a clear, matt poly finish. Try Googling Dulux's products in Canada for that.
Hello Henrich, Thank you very much for your great display on CLOU, this is all very interesting. That black like solution you have in the glass bottle sure looks scary, but you have achieved some great results on your WB. Will have to see if this CLOU stain is available here in Canada.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Dean, This looks so very easy to work with, I have been trying all afternoon to try to locate it here in Canada but with no luck as yet. Will give it another try tomorrow.
Regards Lawrence
Lawrence,
It is available through Home Depot online.

Lawrence,
It is available through Home Depot online.

Hello Dean, Thanks for all of your help, Niagara Falls, USA is quite a long way to go for a few ounces of stain that I would require for my YQ-Bluenose. For some reason this water based stain is not available here in Canada. It looks like I will have to finish all of the deck furniture before I can stain or oil the deck.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Dean, Thanks for all of your help, Niagara Falls, USA is quite a long way to go for a few ounces of stain that I would require for my YQ-Bluenose. For some reason this water based stain is not available here in Canada. It looks like I will have to finish all of the deck furniture before I can stain or oil the deck.
Regards Lawrence
It isn’t possible to have it shipped to you? That is odd that they don’t have any Varathane water based products available in Canada! It seems what we have available to work with, varies from one country to another. Something we would not normally consider, until making recommendations. ;)

Ps - if you purchased some, I’m certain it would not only be used on your BN.

It isn’t possible to have it shipped to you? That is odd that they don’t have any Varathane water based products available in Canada! It seems what we have available to work with, varies from one country to another. Something we would not normally consider, until making recommendations. ;)

Ps - if you purchased some, I’m certain it would not only be used on your BN.
Hello Dean, Yes I also find this very strange. I have tried all day long to find some up here but to no avail. Besides 2 qt's of stain I am afraid that it would only go to waste as because of my age 81 I have very few projects' planed for the emaciate future. I do hope to be able to complete my YQ-Bluenose, that is my concern for the time being.
. Again I thank you.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, We have spent a lot of time last week searching for a deck stain for our YQ-Bluenose. We thought that we had the answer but it turns out that that stain needs a conditioner, so for the time being we have painted the port side of our BN with a mat black and a copper paint that we had on hand. This copper seams on the dark side and almost looks a bit like gold. We were hoping for a little more of a reddish tinge, but we will leave this for a day or so. We have also dry fitted and pre shaped the rudder. But will wait for our decision on the copper paint is before doing so.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_6253.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, We have spent a lot of time last week searching for a deck stain for our YQ-Bluenose. We thought that we had the answer but it turns out that that stain needs a conditioner, so for the time being we have painted the port side of our BN with a mat black and a copper paint that we had on hand. This copper seams on the dark side and almost looks a bit like gold. We were hoping for a little more of a reddish tinge, but we will leave this for a day or so. We have also dry fitted and pre shaped the rudder. But will wait for our decision on the copper paint is before doing so.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 354543
In any case, it shows that the base is nice and tight, Lawrence. Now a little fine-tuning so that you are satisfied with the her appearance.
Regards, Peter

Hello Ship Mates, Well to take our minds off of the deck stain and the color of the lower hull the little fellows and I have turned our attention to the aft cabin. We have lined the chair rail so to speak in a stripe of cherry wood. We have assembled the upper half of the aft cabin and paneled it with strips of maple and cherry wood. We have also built and installed the set of stairs from the cabin deck to the aft deck. We have look at the cabin door frame and have decided that it is just two fragile to be able to install 2 sets of door hinges, this is where we are now.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, Well to take our minds off of the deck stain and the color of the lower hull the little fellows and I have turned our attention to the aft cabin. We have lined the chair rail so to speak in a stripe of cherry wood. We have assembled the upper half of the aft cabin and paneled it with strips of maple and cherry wood. We have also built and installed the set of stairs from the cabin deck to the aft deck. We have look at the cabin door frame and have decided that it is just two fragile to be able to install 2 sets of door hinges, this is where we are now.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 355304

View attachment 355305

View attachment 355306
I'm not exactly sure what you are doing on the shipyard, but your little fellows seem to have had some busy time on your Bluenose.
Nice progress!

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 355304

View attachment 355305

View attachment 355306
Good morning Lawrence. That is really good. May I borrow your little fellows for a while. Mine are on strike and I’m struggling with my detail;). Cheers Grant

Good morning Lawrence. That is really good. May I borrow your little fellows for a while. Mine are on strike and I’m struggling with my detail;). Cheers Grant
Hello Grant, I truly wish that I could lend you the little fellows but they are my inspiration and get up and go in trying to make our YQ-Bluenose just a little bit different than all the rest, if you know what I mean.
Regards Lawrence

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing on the shipyard, but your little fellows seem to have had some busy time on your Bluenose.
Nice progress!
Hello Johan, I guess you could say that we are trying to work around the deck stain and oil thing as we are still very much undecided on what way to go as yet. The upper aft housing we will varnish the inside and paint the outside white with the doors varnished also. Hope this helps with my mix up.
Regards Lawrence

PS- Still have not decided on the copper paint as yet!!

Back