My FIRST build: Krick Borkum with MSM 3" Clyde Steam Plant [COMPLETED BUILD]

Neptune/John,
How did you mask the red bottom coat? When I try and make a mask out of paper and test the taping, it is hard to turn the tape on a curve. If I don't masked it down it won't be a tight fit and when I remove it won't be a clean line. Any ideas.

Thanks Derek

I used a narrow tape for the actual waterline, then added some wider tape to the narrow, in short lengths, then taped news paper over the wider tape, hope this makes sense,
Best regards John,

It does, close to my thinking. Will give it a go. Can I do the 2 coats of bottom red over 2 hours then do a clear coat or wait 48 hours?

I just put on two coats of red and that was enough on mine, don't forget when I did mine the weather was a lot hotter here,
.best regards john,

Decided to clean the tape off and start to clean it up before I tackle the red waterline. Added a pinstripe under the decking. Got confirmation that the accessories, navigator/fireman, life savers, brass bits arrived in Canada and will ship this week. When I go on the internet to check out other boats, some "sailors" have FPV point of view cameras to video the travels. Anyone done this and what specs? This is way far away for me, but worth thinking about on my long dog walks. Thanks - moving
along...
.may 10 revised.png

Actually that lovely green with the dark varnish looks fantastic on its own, I was tempted to just leave mine like it, main thing is that you are enjoying it, which obviously you are,
Best regards John,

I am leaning that way too - have a lead on some white and black pin stripping (not sure will work best) that I might try to give me that 2 level top and bottom effect. Will get it tomorrow and try it first before I go all in on the red. Will keep you posted. The green has an elegance about it. I could wait and enjoy the boat as is and do a re-fit down the road should I get crazy and really want the red bottom. Might add some red inside the cabin. Like you, I am partial to the green dark walnut effect. Will need to see it with all the "stuff" from the accessory package before I decide. Thanks, still hav'n fun!

Wow you must have read my mind I was going to say exactly that, but I thought it might take away from the Regal look of the Green, do you have any dark or black string that you could just tape to the green just to see what the effect would be, might give you an idea before you buy the tape,
Best regards John,

I slept on it and with your advice and others decided not to do the red waterline. But to give it a little punch went with some pinstripe here there to give me some red and black on the hull. Thanks, hopefully new pix re interior after I get my accessories from the post.View attachment 150703

Back again. Got my accessories so I am slowly figuring where they go, what needs paint etc. Also assembled the rudder and tested the directions - all look good at this time. Had a bit of a disaster when I sprayed the clear coat. Went on too thick in certain areas, had to wait a while, then sand and repaint the green. Not ideal, but I am learning and am sure my next project will benefit from my learning curve. More to come.IMG_20200513_215508.jpgIMG_20200513_215523.jpgIMG_20200513_215530.jpg

The green hull looks great by itself.

Here in Oklahoma most boat hulls are one color, as the boats don't stay in water all the time to need a "anti-fouling" paint on the bottom, most don't have even a waterline marked.

I am tired but happy. Some clean-up to do but next big step will be to install the steam plant if and when it arrives and fixing little things here and there. Have ordered a small FPV camera that I will build a cargo box to hide it's 21st century electronics. Await the postman.IMG_20200514_171309.jpgIMG_20200514_171326.jpg

She is looking really great, and with the addition of the crew she looks ready to go, you have done a fantastic job with her, I've enjoyed your build,
Best regards John,

Maybe a bit of both - let's me get to see life on board a turn of the century island hopper and maybe at night they do a Toy Story thing and come alive and enjoy their journeys - hahaha
Derek

She is looking really great, and with the addition of the crew she looks ready to go, you have done a fantastic job with her, I've enjoyed your build,
Best regards John,
Really happy to date. Thanks for all your help in the hull painting. Got a note back from Richard Simpson of Model Boats - he liked the all green hull too. Thought it gave the boat a working feel. That was my hope. Cheers, Derek

Best regards John,
John, As Canada and Australia have suspended postal services until I don't know when, my steam plant is stuck at the Airport in Melbourne. I thought I would convert it to electric until the plant arrives. What do you recommend for a "engine and connection" while I wait. I have all the radios and servos. Might get some shakedown cruising before. Any ideas on what would be good for the Borkum? Derekcariadv2.jpg

Last edited:
Back