My FIRST ship build: La Couronne Corel/scratch

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

The main and mizzen channels were copied in major dimensions from the kit parts in cherry wood, and attached to the hull with CA glued. Before coating them with spray varnish, a thin mechanical pencil was used to draw the lines separating the planks that make up each channel to simulate the seams. More details added = better model. Since the shroud locations were not altered from the original kit design, the notches for the mizzen channel kit parts were transferred to the new parts. The shrouds for the main and fore masts will be relocated to new positions based on the new cannon port layout to avoid interference.

664 Copy Kit Main Channels in Cherry Wood.jpg

665 Port Main Channel Attached.jpg

666 Stbd Channel Attached.jpg

667 Main and Fore Channels.jpg

668 Copy Kit Mizzen Channels in Cherry Wood.jpg

669 Stbd Mizzen Channel Attached.jpg

670 Port Mizzen Channel Attached.jpg

671 All Channels Installed.jpg

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Thanks for the Etsy suggestions. I got the same fleur de lies for the gun port doors on Soleil Royal!
Etsy also had small lion face brass stampings, but they were FAR more expensive than the fleur de lies. They would look good on the gun port doors for HMS Sovereign of the Seas. Hopefully they will go on sale someday so I can save some money. There are lots of decoration treasures on Etsy, but it's hard to know what to put in the search engine line to find what you're looking for.

These are $10.00 US for only two of them:
il_794xN.1177142927_po2m.jpg

Here is a less expensive option for lion faces. These earrings on Amazon.com are $7.99 for a set of two, so you get more for your money:

Amazon.com Lion Earrings

Capture.JPG

GOOD PARTS ARE WHERE YOU FIND THEM!

Last edited:

Charles QC

I like lots the way you have done your Channel.
Personally as for the fighting platform I never use what is supply in a kit always replaces them. But your solution is elegant, nice looking and easier.

And yes a lots of thing are available for decoration sometime better of what is offer in a kit;)

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

I like lots the way you have done your Channel.
Personally as for the fighting platform I never use what is supply in a kit always replaces them. But your solution is elegant, nice looking and easier.

And yes a lots of thing are available for decoration sometime better of what is offer in a kit;)
Thumbsup
Sometimes the parts in the kit are satisfactory. Some of the fittings and most of the wood was used in La Couronne. Where a kits typically falls short is detail. Replacing all the materials in a kit is hugely expensive, so a balance has to be truck to keep costs low. It also depends on your skill level, knowledge of wooden ship construction, how much you want to spend on tools, books, and materials, how much research you want to do to correct kit features that are known to be inauthentic, and how much patience you have. All of these contribute to the final appearance of the model, and they vary widely from person to person. If you put your best effort into the project, the results will always make you happy. :D

Attached is an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet of all the material costs for the kit, tools, research books and extra materials used to build La Couronne. The total cost of the entire ship project is currently $2293.64. :eek: So far, the cost of DeAgostini's HMS Sovereign of the Seas is $1574.04, and I haven't even started construction yet!

Attachments

Last edited:

Maarten

Staff member

Thumbsup
Sometimes the parts in the kit are satisfactory. Some of the fittings and most of the wood was used in La Couronne. Where a kits typically falls short is detail. Replacing all the materials in a kit is hugely expensive, so a balance has to be truck to keep costs low. It also depends on your skill level, knowledge of wooden ship construction, how much you want to spend on tools, books, and materials, how much research you want to do to correct kit features that are known to be inauthentic, and how much patience you have. All of these contribute to the final appearance of the model, and they vary widely from person to person. If you put your best effort into the project, the results will always make you happy. :D

Attached is an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet of all the material costs for the kit, tools, research books and extra materials used to build La Couronne. The total cost of the entire ship project is currently $2293.64. :eek: So far, the cost of DeAgostini's HMS Sovereign of the Seas is $1574.04, and I haven't even started construction yet!
So you can see that the prices for the top of the bill Chinese POF kits is not that high allthough the first investment is on the higher end.

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

So you can see that the prices for the top of the bill Chinese POF kits is not that high allthough the first investment is on the higher end.
When you compare the cost of the kit you are starting with to the overall cost of building the model, even a $1100 kit doesn't look all that bad. You don't notice the overall cost unless you track it in detail like I did (merely out of curiosity).

NMBROOK

Staff member

Fantastic work Kurt,

I have had a look at your spreadsheet,something I am far too undisciplined to do outside of my day job.Strictly speaking,many of the costs regarding books and tools will be offset against several models.In theory,the more models you build,the cheaper the cost per kit;)ROTFROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Jimsky

Staff member

Yes, our hobby isn't the cheapest...and books and tools are pretty much an important part of it if you are a serious modeler. But...who can actually calculate the joy of built model when she displays proudly in your home, or a competition table perhaps? :)

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Fantastic work Kurt,

I have had a look at your spreadsheet,something I am far too undisciplined to do outside of my day job.Strictly speaking,many of the costs regarding books and tools will be offset against several models.In theory,the more models you build,the cheaper the cost per kit;)ROTFROTFROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Treue! Since this is my first model, it will naturally be the most expensive. I didn't include the tools already in my shop such as the 1960's Delta 890 band saw, sandpaper, sanding blocks, 1948 South Bend 9" lathe, Delta 6" bench top belt/disc combination sander, and many others.

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Hallo Kurt,
we from SOS wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day

Birthday-Cake