Artisania Latina's Mayflower

The AL Mayflower was also my first attempt at ship modelling, but she is currently gathering dust while I sharpen my skills on a smaller build.

@Jolley Roger Looks like you skilled enough to continue your Mayflower. Get the dust off and move ON!! I will definitely watch your build.

Just love the shape of the old galleons!
Will follow your build with interest.
The AL Mayflower was also my first attempt at ship modelling, but she is currently gathering dust while I sharpen my skills on a smaller build.
Her current state:
View attachment 103179
Really nice. I like you modification of the windows. I think I will try to do something similar. I am also going to add closed gunports because Mayflkower definitely had a gun deck. I have no idea why AL did not include them on this model.

Here's the hull after a first coat of poly. It's been slow going because of the bow gunwale parts, which I had to fabricate from plywood. The African walnut supplied would just not take the curves required. So after I poly the hull again, I'll do the same to the bulwarks and decks, then start on the beak and all the deck fittings.
MFBuildLog24.jpgMFBuildLog23.jpg

I think you did a good choice with the model as a first build
Was the same for me Constructo Mayflower some 20y ago and still proud of it

Your build is coming along very well will follow youThumbsup

Quick update. After a busy summer and a trip to Quebec to visit the in-laws, it's back to Mayflower. The beak is under construction. The plans are vague about their vagueness here, so there is some minor guess work, because the photos and the drawn plans don't jibe completely, but as the entire model is one big guess, I'm not too concerned.
MFBuildLog25.jpg

MFBuildLog26.jpg

Quick question: When I get to the bowsprit gammoning, where the heck does it attach to the ship? I thinking under that stiffener by the stem, but there is also that rectangular cutout in the beak piece. Like I said, vagueness.

Great work. Welcome to the world of AL doco. The gammoning will be through the small rectangular hole in the beak( stem) On the mayflower it is mainly hidden by the bow framing.

Looks great,
Be aware that if you poly/ seal/ vanish the ship to early and there are parts that need fitting & gluing later, they may not adhere properly due to the sealer. I have been caught out lots of times, so just be wary.
Thanks! I'll be careful. No issues with the glue/poly combo I'm using so far. I plan to pin the handrails and such with epoxy, and not just rely on wood glue for those vulnerable strips.

Pretty impressive ship. You've obviously got some skills. I just completed my first build; I thought that building the ship structure would be the most satisfying part of the project, (given my past experience with plastic model building) but amazingly enough to me, I thoroughly enjoyed the rigging!

Back