Artisania Latina's Mayflower

I have always been curious about the kits I would see in hobby stores, but with miniature painting and archery and a wife, great danes, and home to care for, I resisted the urge until now, as I approach my 60's. I chanced upon an acquaintance who owned the kit but never attempted it, and bought it from him for $30 US. I stashed it in a closet, thinking that I would pull it out come retirement. But it nagged at me, so I set aside my Lord of the RIngs miniatures, thinking, "I'll just do the keel and bulkheads, that should get it off my mind for a while."
Well, a couple months later and I am still spending most free evenings on this. I have not touched brush to miniature since I caught Mayfloweritis. So, what the heck, here's my virginal build log. I have lots to learn, that's for sure.

Last edited:
So here's the keel and bulkheads, and the first layer of decking. I did not like the outcome of the deck (the stock was rough and I could not see the plank divisions well enough) so I laid over it later on, as there was just barely enough stock to re-do it.MFBuildLog1.jpgMFBuildLog2.jpg

First layer of planking. So here's where my better half put her oar in. I was showing her how the hull would be painted off-white to the waterline, but she was not having it. The entire hull will be natural wood. I acceded for a couple reasons: First, I would use the second layer of planking to practice "good plank" by avoiding dagger planks and getting a feel for stealers and drop planks. And second: well, wife.
MFBuildLog3.jpgMFBuildLog4.jpg.

Last edited:
The second layer of planking too a couple weeks of evenings. I could not really spile with the width of planks supplied, so I resorted to soaking and bending planks using the magnets and metal board method. Worked great for the planks by the keel and up the top sides.MFBuildLog14.jpgMFBuildLog15.jpg

Pre-curving planks. Maybe unorthodox, but it worked for me. Soaked planks for 10 minutes, got a metal baking sheet or something ferrous, and bought a few packs of those ungodly strong magnets. Let dry for a few hours, remembering to shift magnets once to let the wood under them dry.
MFBuildLog13.jpg

Last edited:
Break time! Here's a 54mm Neanderthal mini, my other hobby. Oils over acrylics
This is serious skills out there. No wonder, your first ship model building attempt looks so neat and accurate! Great job on both! Please continue your log with frequent updates and photos. ;)

your model and work is looking very good, especially for your first built in wood.
You will see, that the planking work on the second hull will go much faster.
Very good, that you made samples to test the look of the finish of your planking - with this you will not get any surprises Thumbs-Up

your model and work is looking very good, especially for your first built in wood.
You will see, that the planking work on the second hull will go much faster.
Very good, that you made samples to test the look of the finish of your planking - with this you will not get any surprises Thumbs-Up
Thanks! It is proving to be a lot of relaxation and fun.

Back