My ignorant questions about ships and model building

Hi all,
I will try to put all my ignorant quarries in this thread.

1. First is, does anybody know the USD price of this goodie? Tabletop Organizer

2. Second is, what is all the 'added' stuff on the rear/stern/aft of the tall ships? Kinda looks like passenger compartments or something fancy back there. It seems to look stepped higher and higher.
Does it have a name?
The taller it is the more I like it tho. :)

aft.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
For one, Euro to USD as of today makes it about $55 plus shipping.

I have one of earlier versions, and like it well. Worth the cost for me.

As for fancy ornate sterns that was from Spanish and other countries from 16th century when ships served for Admiralty and ships captain. Fancier for show!

But others may have a more exact and specific answer.

2. Second is, what is all the 'added' stuff on the rear/stern/aft of the tall ships? Kinda looks like passenger compartments or something fancy back there. It seems to look stepped higher and higher.
Does it have a name?
The taller it is the more I like it tho. :)

G,day they were usually called quarter galleries and on some ship's they also had stern galleries, some parts of which were used as toilets for the Captains, Officers etc,

Best regards John,

3. Number 3. I've seen a lot of cross sections of old ships here. Very cool BTW. I was wondering if there are any cut-a-way ship kits or partial sections kits? Now that interests me a lot.
Thanks,
Take a look at our area with building logs for kits
Here you will find several building logs of the f.e. Victory- , Santisima Trinidad- and Bonhomme Richard cross section

Builds aside, both Artesania Latina ( now defunct but excess kits floating around shops & the 'BAY' ) & Occre produce a HMS bounty cutaway.( Very similar as both were same company staff at one stage)
ZHL also do a cutaway Black Pearl.

The organiser is an Occre kit. see here. I have one of the originals that was in ply instead.

I have seen a build where the owner is leaving sections of side open and installing some interior and lighting.

can't remember who, just have to browse the build logs.

Many ships are built what is called Admiralty Style, frames with no side planks and half the deck covered half not, to show the deck superstructure.

Also possible to make a Plank On Frame model and cut the frames which you want away....

It would be nice if I knew what was below decks so I could cut-a-way my own ship. Ignorant about ships I'm afraid.

I tried to buy that organizer but they wouldn't except my bank card and I refuse to do business with PayPal.

As far as your desire to do a cut-away model showing the decks and such there is an excellent series of books in the "Anatomy of a Ship" line of publications. A lot of them are out of print but can be found through a number of on-line book sellers - including Amazon. I would look at Thrift Books first though as their prices seem to be better than the big A.

As for fancy ornate sterns that was from Spanish and other countries from 16th century when ships served for Admiralty and ships captain. Fancier for show!

But others may have a more exact and specific answer.

I'll bet those fancy stern sections made them better targets for enemies; "Shoot here; Captain and officers inside"

I have found over the years, that, although the organizers look neat, you are a bit restricted to what the manufacturer thinks your needs may be. The partially enclosed center work area is pretty restricted. You may need some elbow room even on a small model. The compartmented trays are readily available in many configurations and sizes so you can create your own organizer as you gain experience and learn how you like to work.
I have accumulated a pretty good collection of the trays over the years. I good cutting pad is handy and available in sizes to fit your project and space.
Organizing your work space is part of the model building learning curve.
Enjoy, Harley

I know what he is asking. I do not know of any half model from any manufacturer of what he is referring to. Most of the time it is a cross section. What he is looking for is a profile cross section of a whole ship. Now, there are half hills of models, but they are solid built and do not show the internal structures. In order to accomplish what he wants to do would be quite a feat as he would have to build like a profile cut of half of an admiralty style (which to the poster) that means all the frames and components are built just like a real ship.

I meant to mention that if you are interested in submarines, there is a plastic kit of a profile kit. It is huge at 54” long.

this one is not it, but like it
Revell 05078 U-Boat XXI Type w. Interieur Model Kit

Back