My introduction

Hello, my name is Jim. Been building models of all sorts, on and off for over 50 years. Network engineer by trade. Lately I am building wooden frame models. Like to search the Internet for other photos when the instructions I have are not clear. and that's how I can across SOS. Current model build is an NH whaling boat from the 1850. I picked this because it was the closest whaling boat model I could find that I use to sail as a Sea Scout in San Francisco bay. Of course the SSS (Sea Scout Ship) didn't have harpoons. I will try to match the colors of the SSS to my model, as far as I can remember. That boat from what I have heard was sunk many years ago, so I can't go down and refer it. I'm not a rivet counter, and like to change the models I build to suit my skill level and tastes. But I do get upset when the instructions are poorly written, or the laser cut parts are so far off from the plans. Unnecessary time wasted. I will post photos of my build as soon as I figure out how and where that should be done.

Welcome to the SoS forums.

Check out our build logs forums to post a log on your ship build, we all like to see what others are doing, and its a way to ask for advise and help as needed.

I am a former adult member of the Sea Scout program myself. Part of the small boat group of land locked sailors in Oklahoma.

Hello, my name is Jim. Been building models of all sorts, on and off for over 50 years. Network engineer by trade. Lately I am building wooden frame models. Like to search the Internet for other photos when the instructions I have are not clear. and that's how I can across SOS. Current model build is an NH whaling boat from the 1850. I picked this because it was the closest whaling boat model I could find that I use to sail as a Sea Scout in San Francisco bay. Of course the SSS (Sea Scout Ship) didn't have harpoons. I will try to match the colors of the SSS to my model, as far as I can remember. That boat from what I have heard was sunk many years ago, so I can't go down and refer it. I'm not a rivet counter, and like to change the models I build to suit my skill level and tastes. But I do get upset when the instructions are poorly written, or the laser cut parts are so far off from the plans. Unnecessary time wasted. I will post photos of my build as soon as I figure out how and where that should be done.

so tell us a little about the ship you sailed as a Sea Scout.
was she a steel hulled vessel or a wooden hull? was this an historic ship? or a reproduction?

adding images is quite easy right below where is stay attach files

so tell us a little about the ship you sailed as a Sea Scout.
was she a steel hulled vessel or a wooden hull? was this an historic ship? or a reproduction?

adding images is quite easy right below where is stay attach files
Wooden boat. The real McCoy. As the story was told to me when I was a scout, they were whaling boats that the Navy purchases, after a decline in whale hunting. The Navy used them to train basic seamanship. They donated them to the San Francisco chapter of the Sea scouts in 1914. I was a crew member of the Viking (SSS 100) from 1975-1978. There were several of these ships during that time. My father was a SS on that very ship 25 years before me. I'm guessing around the early 1950's. The boat must have been modified from it's hunting days. a 6' permanently keel with 6000lbs of lead were added. Hunting version have a retractable centerboard. Bigger fixed mast to support mail sail, jib, and jenny (really big jib). Fun times! I'm surprised that none of us got hurt. No life jackets back then.

Hallo Jim,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum :cool:

Back