My new member intro

Hello, my name is Jim. Been building models of all sorts, on and off for over 50 years. Network engineer by trade. Lately I am building wooden frame models. Like to search the Internet for other photos when the instructions I have are not clear. and that's how I can across SOS. Current model build is an NH whaling boat from the 1850. I picked this because it was the closest whaling boat model I could find that I use to sail as a Sea Scout in San Francisco bay. Of course the SSS (Sea Scout Ship) didn't have harpoons. I will try to match the colors of the SSS to my model, as far as I can remember. That boat from what I have heard was sunk many years ago, so I can't go down and refer it. I'm not a rivet counter, and like to change the models I build to suit my skill level and tastes. But I do get upset when the instructions are poorly written, or the laser cut parts are so far off from the plans. Unnecessary time wasted. I will post photos of my build as soon as I figure out how and where that should be done.

What are your ship hobby interests?

What is your location in our big country, It helps to update your profile with info in the location section so other can know if there is someone close to them in our vast country.

Mostly sailing ships. Built a Bluenose. Took 11 years to complete. No room at the time to work on it. Now I have a dedicated hobby room.
I am in a small farming town 45 miles north of San Francisco, CA, USA. Petaluma. Once was the "Egg capitol of the world" not so much anymore. The NH whaling boat that I just started on April 1st, has on the shelf for 10+ years. I purchased it for $69.

Welcome Jim, I like your intro stating that your modelling interests are a reflection of years gone by. I think that is important when you can relate a personal story to your creation.
Jim C.
My interest jump around a lot. Models, plastic, and wood, electronics, building breadboard computers by scratch, metal machining, have full size Southbend lathe, and Bridgeport mill.

If you decide to start a scratch built model down the road the mill and lathe will come in handy.

I am waiting for the day to buy a nice hobby lathe and mill, most likely a Shearline setup.

I have a Sherline mill and lathe with DRO and CNC (don't use the CNC much, it takes longer to program and setup, than to just make the part.) Mini mill and lathe are useful for parts 4" and under. I've had mine since 2000, wow 20 years.

Hallo Jim,
sending you a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
The best place for a building log showing your actual project would be here:
Sounds very interesting, especially we know your set of tools....... Great to have you on board

Back