MY SECOND MODEL...! "DENIA" (It's my wife's name)

Don't see too many modern sailing yachts. is this scratch built or from a kit? Anyway, I really like it, in particular the sails. Sails are always so hard to get to scale in so many ways. Often they look too heavy, the seams too pronounced, or not enough and the material a crapshoot.
This, too is sweet and very engaging. A model needn't be too elaborate, historically consequential or grand to be a real treat such as this.
Your first and second models reveal some serious chops. I'd like to know more about the background, class, period and personal connection (if any) of this little yacht.(Looks like a fishing or harpooning platform up forward?)

Don't see too many modern sailing yachts. is this scratch built or from a kit? Anyway, I really like it, in particular the sails. Sails are always so hard to get to scale in so many ways. Often they look too heavy, the seams too pronounced, or not enough and the material a crapshoot.
This, too is sweet and very engaging. A model needn't be too elaborate, historically consequential or grand to be a real treat such as this.
Your first and second models reveal some serious chops. I'd like to know more about the background, class, period and personal connection (if any) of this little yacht.(Looks like a fishing or harpooning platform up forward?)
Initially thank you very much for the compliments, watching the people who build models, and disclose on this site, I am not worthy of so much...

It's not a kit, I made it out of my head trying to keep the proportions.

These sails are scrap I got from a professional who sews torn sails and/or builds them as well. So they are “real”, they were from a regatta sailboat called “ASTERIX” winner of many races in the lanes of the city where I live, Santos -SP- Brazil.

I chose to make the seams with a thin pencil line, I thought that would be enough to give a certain realism.

My first model, the CARAVELA, was made 10 years ago. It's all wood and I made it in my brother's lutherie workshop, which has a huge amount of tools. It's not a kit either, nor did I make a plan... I was just trying to maintain proportions.

This second model, the “DENIA” I made about 6 months ago. I felt like making these miniatures again and decided to change the material, since I don't have all the tools anymore and the wood around here is hard to find and expensive. The keel and the frames are made of cardboard and the planks of the hull and deck are made of canson paper (I glue 4 or 5 sheets until I get the thickness I want).
This platform is the bow pulpit, very common on tour sailboats.

I have already finished a third model, the “SAINT ROCH” which is posted on this site as well. I replaced the cardboard (keel and caverns) with foam board, which I could find around here and it's not that expensive.

And finally, I am finishing my fourth model, the “BRITONIA” which is a British tug. This one I'm putting step by step almost daily on this site too.

Thank you very much for your interest and I hope I was able to answer all your questions.

A big hug.

I don't know what the English word "flabbergasted" translates to in Portuguese, astonished and amazed comes close, more like the "wow" emogee above.
Your imagination, resourcefulness and creativity are truly humbling!
The Stewart-MacDonald Luthier's supplies and tools catalog (stewmac.com) is a treasure trove of woods, tools and stuff useful to model shipwrights, including a hardwood heat bending tool for bending guitar sides, etc.
I'd love to see some instruments made by your brother, obviously wood (and other material ) crafting runs in your family.
How did you build such a highly detailed and historically accurate model of a Carrick without plans? I will run down the other examples of your models, Are they in the gallery? What page number? Same goes for the little yacht "Denia". How big are the models?
A hug back. I don't think I've ever gotten a hug on a ship model forum before...:D

I don't know what the English word "flabbergasted" translates to in Portuguese, astonished and amazed comes close, more like the "wow" emogee above.
Your imagination, resourcefulness and creativity are truly humbling!
The Stewart-MacDonald Luthier's supplies and tools catalog (stewmac.com) is a treasure trove of woods, tools and stuff useful to model shipwrights, including a hardwood heat bending tool for bending guitar sides, etc.
I'd love to see some instruments made by your brother, obviously wood (and other material ) crafting runs in your family.
How did you build such a highly detailed and historically accurate model of a Carrick without plans? I will run down the other examples of your models, Are they in the gallery? What page number? Same goes for the little yacht "Denia". How big are the models?
A hug back. I don't think I've ever gotten a hug on a ship model forum before...:D
Thanks again for your kind words. And, as I said earlier, I don't think I deserve that much.
I'm a hardworking guy who always liked to work with his hands, nothing more...
I know Stewmac, it's really a treasure!

You can see photos of various instruments that my brother built on the website https://paulogomes.com.br

I built the CARAVELA based on photos from books and drawings in magazines, it took two years to get ready. Just the dinghy with the oars and the cables took me a week to make, it was difficult but the result was worth it, at least for me!

All three models ever built are in the gallery. I don't know the exact page but if you do a search for the names, they will surely come up.

Sizes (length/height and width in centimeters):

CARAVELA 90X84X46

DENIA 58X83X14

SAINT ROCH 67X45X15

BRITONIA 55X32X13

I am really moved by your recognition. Thank you very much.

One more hug!

Carvella, not Carrick. Forgive my mis-identification.
I looked up your brother's work. It really IS a family thing. I've gone through some iterations of acoustic guitar playing ( classical, folk, Renaissance lute to resonator slide guitar-pretty eclectic and even built a couple of lutes many decades past) although arthritis has pretty much put an end to that. You and your family history have touched a nostalgic chord ( Samba and Bossa Nova, Luis Bonfa, Jao Giberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Villa Lobos, et.al.) .Keep up the good work I will follow it with great interest.
One more hug back.

Last edited:
Carvella, not Carrick. Forgive my mis-identification.
I looked up your brother's work. It really IS a family thing. I've gone through some iterations of acoustic guitar playing (classical, folk, Renaissance lute to resonator slide guitar-pretty eclectic and even built a couple of lutes many decades past) although arthritis has pretty much put an end to that. You and your family history have touched a nostalgic chord ( Samba and Bossa Nova, Luis Bonfa, Jao Giberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Villa Lobos, et.al.) .Keep up the good work I will follow it with great interest.
One more hug back.
Dear Peter, I am happy to have awakened something positive in you, "to remember is to live...!" A big hug.

Eloi, I agree with Peter, your attention to detail is second to none and working without plans is amazing! They are beautiful! Magic Mike
Dear MagicMike, thank you again for your kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed this model more. A hug.

Back