RcModel My thickness grinder

Once, I made such a thickness grinder for my needs

That looks like a very solidly build tool. Straight hands on without digital complications or marked dials to set for a desired thickness. Oh the fun of money spent making sawdust reducing rough stock to what we want much deeper down. Rich (PT-2)

Once, I made such a thickness grinder for my needs

This is really a very valuable machine and I guess it will find a bigger number of interested modelers.
I would be very interested to purchase such one........
BTW: in the beginning of the video is mentioned "Thickness Sander by Romanov" and based on this I found your web-page

Very interesting stuff you are showing us here !!!

and BTW: a warm welcome here on board of our forum :cool:

Thank you for all the words of appreciation. I've already done a few things commercially. I am currently designing a newer version. The construction of this machine is laborious and time-consuming. I do everything myself on manual machine tools
Parameters:
working width 100 mm
thickness range 1mm - 20mm
rotations of the drum 1400 rpm
Engine power 1.1 kW 230 V.
chip evacuation hole
dimensions 160x160x280
weight about 12 kg
It is best if I have orders for a minimum of 5, then I can do it faster
The cost of the machine is approximately $ 399

Last edited:
Thank you for all the words of appreciation. I've already done a few items commercially.
I am currently designing a newer version. The construction of this machine is laborious and takes a lot of time. I do everything myself on manual machine tools
Parameters:
working width 100 mm
thickness range 1mm - 20mm
rotations of the drum 1400 rpm
1.1KW 230v motor power
hole for the chip extraction
dimensions 160x160x280
weight about 5 kg

It is best if I had orders for at least 5 pcs, then I can do it faster

The cost of the machine is about $ 399 US
very interesting machine !!!
Maybe you can tell us also the differences between this machine and the newer version and how long it will take for the newer version to be developed?
Good that you have a connection on the top for the dust collection with a vac.
Also good on the version you show in the video is the possibility to fix the thickness with a lever, the photos are not showing this lever.
One question: How long does it need to change the sanding paper, in order to change the grid? because often you want to sand first rough and the final touch with a more fine grid.....
I am very interested.....so maybe you have already the first of the necessary five

Here's an article on desktop thickness planers I found. There are a couple between $200 - $300. I have no idea how precise they are in comparison to this little beauty shown above. Desktop Thickness Planers . Here's another that is much more comprehensive. Toolbuzz Planer Comparison . This uses a sanding drum where the ones in the articles use blades.
Hallo Chris,
you can not really compare the planers of your links with a sander like the tool from @RC Model - it is a different method of reducing the thickness of the timber.
The planers are cutting with rotating knifes / blades - also like the Proxxon planer I have
The drum sander have sanding paper and are usually more gentle with the wood - and usually you can also sand much thinner wooden strips, which are making such a tool very interesting - imagine a 1,3mm plank has to be sanded down to 1,0 mm
The RC-Model sander could be only compared to the Byrnes drum sander.
There are also drum sanders available from woodcraft or Jet or others, but these are usually too big and heavy tools for our use in modeling

Hallo Chris,
you can not really compare the planers of your links with a sander like the tool from @RC Model - it is a different method of reducing the thickness of the timber.
The planers are cutting with rotating knifes / blades - also like the Proxxon planer I have
The drum sander have sanding paper and are usually more gentle with the wood - and usually you can also sand much thinner wooden strips, which are making such a tool very interesting - imagine a 1,3mm plank has to be sanded down to 1,0 mm
The RC-Model sander could be only compared to the Byrnes drum sander.
There are also drum sanders available from woodcraft or Jet or others, but these are usually too big and heavy tools for our use in modeling
Yes, exactly right!!! I just thought perhaps a review of small planers would show the advantage of having a machine like this one. Great points you make. I also agree that the precision on this machine would be extremely good for the very fine detail many of our members would want. Thumbsup

very interesting machine !!!
Maybe you can tell us also the differences between this machine and the newer version and how long it will take for the newer version to be developed?
Good that you have a connection on the top for the dust collection with a vac.
Also good on the version you show in the video is the possibility to fix the thickness with a lever, the photos are not showing this lever.
One question: How long does it need to change the sanding paper, in order to change the grid? because often you want to sand first rough and the final touch with a more fine grid.....
I am very interested.....so maybe you have already the first of the necessary five
I will show a new project soon. the main changes will be the spiral abrasive attachment

I will show a new project soon. the main changes will be the spiral abrasive attachment
This has stimulated a good conversation and overall orientation process for those of us who may be thinking about the cost/benefit of going in this "thinning" direction. Rich (PT-2)

Hello

A new version has been created
the main changes are the attachment of the abrasive cloth. Now we attach in a spiral which increases the durability and efficiency of grinding.
Raising the table is now more precise and has been moved upwards for easier control
I used a DC 24v 500 W 3000 rpm motor with a speed reduction to 900 rpm with a ratio of 1: 3.
Now the power supply can be 110v or 230v
If you are interested, please contact me so that I can arrange the details.
I don't know if there is a need to install smooth speed control?
I am waiting for your feedback suggestions

pro 1.jpgscierarka.jpg

Hello

The new version is nearing completion.
The photo shows how the abrasive will be attached to the drum

working width 100 mm

RC Model (Roman)

Attachments

• szl.jpg
    szl.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 14
  • szlifierka.jpg