Mysteries of square rigging bothering you?

Google: "Sailing ship Europa:"

Go down to the videos.

Watch the one titled: "The Voyage: Bark Europa sails 10,000 miles". It runs a half an hour.

You'll see sails being bent to yards, flown, doused and furled; sails being sent down and repaired. See the rigging and the control lines in operation. You won't see everything -- at one point they talk about tacking when they meet an expected front and associated wind shift, but I don't remember seeing it. I suspect it could have been an all hands operation with no one able to video it anyway.

I've never seen anything like this and doubt there'll ever be another video quite like it. And (in my opinion) only the Dutch could have rebuilt this former German light ship, modified and rigged it and sailed it all over the world as they've done.

Attachments

• IMG_3279 (4).JPG
    IMG_3279 (4).JPG
    302 KB · Views: 41
I got a taste of this in real life. At the end of June my wife and I signed on to the Pride of Baltimore II for a 2 night "guest crew" cruise. I hauled lines, helped move booms during various maneuvers, coiled a ton of rope etc. I slept on deck...the sight of the moon rising through the spars and rigging was outstanding.

Back