Nao Victoria

My latest addition to the collection of boats from the 15th and 16th centuries, from Portuguese and Spanish sailing adventures. The ship Victoria. It is part of our history.
It was a pleasant assembly without any major stress. The company that prepared the kit no longer exists, it seems. it is a shame.

Now I will decide the next challenge.
1) Portuguese caravel from Artimanha Modelismo (easy kit)
2) Ragusian carrak from Marristella, or (difficult kit?)
3) San Bartolome by Pavel Nikitin ( very difficult kit?)

Can you recommend from your experience any of these models?
thank you very much

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

I can not help you with future build recommendations, but you have done a great job on this one.

My latest addition to the collection of boats from the 15th and 16th centuries, from Portuguese and Spanish sailing adventures. The ship Victoria. It is part of our history.
It was a pleasant assembly without any major stress. The company that prepared the kit no longer exists, it seems. it is a shame.

Now I will decide the next challenge.
1) Portuguese caravel from Artimanha Modelismo (easy kit)
2) Ragusian carrak from Marristella, or (difficult kit?)
3) San Bartolome by Pavel Nikitin ( very difficult kit?)

Can you recommend from your experience any of these models?
thank you very much
First, very nice job on your completed Victoria!

I am building the Ragusian Carrack by MarisStella. It is fairly difficult, although while I don't have much experience, I am blundering my way through it. I wouldn't have been able to without Olha's wonderful series of videos on this model, in fact that's why I bought it. I like the kit a lot, but am replacing all the blocks and ropes (sails are great, though), none of the many spindles for rails are included, and feel a good many other parts should have been laser cut, especially considering the price. But it will look good, I think, and I am enjoying the build. The size of it is 775mm (less if you leave off the boomkin that some think shouldn't be there), so it's a perfect size for my bookcase.

I greatly considered Nikitin's San Bartolome, but wanted it in the smaller scale that he felt would be coming a year ago. The current model is 1030mm long, and thus won't fit in my bookcase, but a 3/4 size version would have been perfect. Unfortunately, it never appeared. If you have the room, the San Bartolome appears to be an incredible model. ALL materials will be first-rate, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the looks and design of it, even if some members here have called the design and rigging more art than fact. You can find videos on the build of this model here as well in the couple build logs. Hull construction is quite complex, but would be extremely strong. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion in the construction of the hull, and I'm not sure ALL the plans are yet available, but I'm sure they would be by the time you're ready for them. The highly detailed laser-cut individual planks are a neat detail (even all treenails are simulated with a laser), but if there is a problem with placement or length or detailing, you're stuck with them, as they will be difficult to replace (some have had this problem). While I prefer stripwood planks, the laser cut ones, while a bit oversize IMHO, do look great. If I had the room, I would go with the San Bartolome. I think you get a lot more for your money with it.

Hope this helps.

First, very nice job on your completed Victoria!

I am building the Ragusian Carrack by MarisStella. It is fairly difficult, although while I don't have much experience, I am blundering my way through it. I wouldn't have been able to without Olha's wonderful series of videos on this model, in fact that's why I bought it. I like the kit a lot, but am replacing all the blocks and ropes (sails are great, though), none of the many spindles for rails are included, and feel a good many other parts should have been laser cut, especially considering the price. But it will look good, I think, and I am enjoying the build. The size of it is 775mm (less if you leave off the boomkin that some think shouldn't be there), so it's a perfect size for my bookcase.

I greatly considered Nikitin's San Bartolome, but wanted it in the smaller scale that he felt would be coming a year ago. The current model is 1030mm long, and thus won't fit in my bookcase, but a 3/4 size version would have been perfect. Unfortunately, it never appeared. If you have the room, the San Bartolome appears to be an incredible model. ALL materials will be first-rate, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the looks and design of it, even if some members here have called the design and rigging more art than fact. You can find videos on the build of this model here as well in the couple build logs. Hull construction is quite complex, but would be extremely strong. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion in the construction of the hull, and I'm not sure ALL the plans are yet available, but I'm sure they would be by the time you're ready for them. The highly detailed laser-cut individual planks are a neat detail (even all treenails are simulated with a laser), but if there is a problem with placement or length or detailing, you're stuck with them, as they will be difficult to replace (some have had this problem). While I prefer stripwood planks, the laser cut ones, while a bit oversize IMHO, do look great. If I had the room, I would go with the San Bartolome. I think you get a lot more for your money with it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated
Still didn’t decide my next adventure. But I have already bought the three kits.
Bartolome is, by far, the more difficult. Ragusian is probably my next move. Although I have to do the Portuguese caravel in the meanwhile, before a forget how to do it ( I bought this kit 5 year’s ago)
Thank you and I wish you all the best

Back