Naomi South Australian Fishing Boat 1/24 scal2 by neptune

This is a small fishing boat that was built for the same family as the Mini Sims, see my other build log,

I built this model for the same gentleman that I built the model of the Mini Sims for, only this time he did'nt have any plans for her, however he did have the dimensions and photo's of the original, so I built from these, I enlarged the photo's to the size of that the model would be and worked from them.

The model is built the same way as the other small models I have built, ie, hull carved from solid pieces of Jelutong,

1.jpg
starboard side after carving and sanding, shown sitting on photo, I did'nt show the carving process as it is shown on my other builds.

2.jpg

shown laid over the photo, I did'nt have any plans to build Naomi from just a set of photo's the gentleman lent me
another view of the stern

4.jpg
With the two halves joined with the keel between

Last edited:

9.jpg
I used my Proxxon milling machine to mill out the areas for the cabin etc, you can also see the plywood spacer between the two hull halves, this pic was taken before adding stem keel and stern post.

10.jpg
Starboard side view

11.jpg
These next five pics show the planking and dowelling

.12.jpg

.13.jpg

.14.jpg

.15.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was the cabin assembly, I used plywood for the carcass

then I added the the cabin top and the sliding hatch, then I planked it with Myrtle, added the well details and lined the cockpit

16.jpg

.17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Last edited:
.29.jpg
Next up was the propeller, I had a small one that would fit but wanted to try out my MF70 Proxxon mill
I started with a square piece of brass plate and drilled a hole in the middle to hld it tight and to also connect to the shaft after shaping

30.jpg
then I cut a circle

31.jpg
Another view

33.jpg
then I shaped it, using cutting discs and files.

34.jpg
I then used a rotary tool with an abrasive disc to form the angles of the blades

35.jpg
another view

36.jpg
and again

37.jpg
and attached to the boat

Last edited:
38.jpg
Rudder and tiller

40.jpg
most of the deck work finished

43.jpg
to make the mast hoops I wrapped some brass wire around a dowell

44.jpg
and the cut through the wire with a dremel disc

47.jpg
hoops have been soldered

48.jpg
in place on mast

49.jpg
the boat with the mast, bowsprit, cat head and the horse on the stern

Last edited:
50.jpg
after completing the painting of the hull.

51.jpg
overall deck view

52.jpg
attaching the main sail to the yards

53.jpg
attaching the halyards etc

54.jpg
sail raised, she was a stump masted vessel they sailed her without the top mast in place.

58.jpg
attaching the rudder fittings

Last edited:
Hello John

I sure did enjoy your build log on the little Namoi South Australian Fishing Boat. I sure do like the way that you approach and solve your little shipbuilding problems with such great results, and your sharing them with your Ship Mates is so very helpful in our own little Old Ship Yards.

Sure do like your display case, it looks so neat and well designed. Using your plans as a build guide I also built a very similar display case for my HMS Bounty build and everyone that looks at it just love it. I still have to add a couple of catches for the door. I had to order them from China as I could not find anything that would fit in around home and they just came the other day. Thanks again for your help.

Very nice job you have did machining up your prop with such great results. It sure would have been easier if you had a indexing head but those are very pricey and are only in my wildest dreams, Well Done, Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Very nice build! I like it.
How did you define the propeller diameter? Should it be little bit greater?

Last edited:
Hello John

Just browsing the SOS Forn this AM and found your little Naomi Fishing Boat. This looks like you had a great time and lots of enjoyment in building this little ship. Just love your approach on how you can turn a piece of wood so quickly into such a beautiful boat.

Lots of great ideas here with your prop building and all of that very fine detail that you seem to have added so easily. Great looking display case it sure does add the final touch to a great build. I am afraid that I used your plans to build such a Display Case for my HMS Bounty it came out looking great and when I look upon it I think of you and do thank you very much for sharing your great ideas, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back