Nautical Glossary 1700s-1800s

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Just came across this resource, and thought it should be useful. This Glossary lists 1070 Terms along with their explanations.

The maritime world, in general, uses a vocabulary that mystifies the layman for its obscurity, and this is particularly true for the period when sailing ships were the only vessels navigating the seas, handled through a complex system of sails and intricate rigging. 1071 terms used in the Royal Navy of the mid-1700s-1800s, illustrated by 925 images linked from the Internet

How about of this interesting book? Note it is better to download it to your computer first. It is a large file and reading off browser will give you errors. Note of this also:

1613615559935.png

Attachments

• Patterson's Illustrated Nautical Dictionary, unabridged 1891.pdf
    24.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
How about of this interesting book? Note it is better to download it to your computer first. It is a large file and reading off browser will give you errors. Note of this also:
Great addition, Yuriy! Many thanks. However, the use of an on-line version gives links to other resources the book is missing, unfortunately.

Splendid guys!
For very old words I often find a similarity betweeen Danish and other languages. For many nautical terms I would have expected to find similarities with English but it seems not to be the case. I'm surprised how often I have to use a dictionary to translate nautical terms to/from English.

This is is an international forum but sometimes I wonder why we have settled for English as an international language? Just to give an example. Do you know how to say the English word Pineapple in other languages?

Frensh: Ananas
German: Ananas
Italian: Ananas
Latin: Ananas
Polish: Ananas
Romanian: Ananas
Danish: Ananas
Norwegian: Ananas
Icelandic : Ananas
Swedish: Ananas
Luxembourgish: Ananas
Arabic: 'ananas
Azerbaijani: Ananas
Bosnian: Ananas
Corsican: Ananas
Tajik: Ananas
Kurdish: Ananas
Croatian: Ananas
Turkish: Ananas
Turkmen: Ananas
Serbian: Ananas
Czech: Ananas
Dutch: Ananas
Kazakh: Ananas
Macedonian: Ananas
Slovak: Ananas
Slovenian: Ananas
Maltese: Ananas
Uzbek: Ananas
Yiddish: Ananas
Estonian: Ananass
Hindi: Anaanaas
Frisian: Ananassen
Albanian: Ananasi
Bulgarian: Ananasi
Georgian: Ananasi
Latvian: Ananāsi
Belarusina : Ananasy
Russian: Ananasy
Ukrainian: Ananasy
Esparanto: Ananaso
Finish: Ananakset
Greek: Ananá
Haitian Creole: Anana
Hungarian: Ananász
Lithuanian: Ananasai
Nepali: Anānāsa
Punjabi: Anānāsa

ROTF:pROTF

Splendid guys!
For very old words I often find a similarity betweeen Danish and other languages. For many nautical terms I would have expected to find similarities with English but it seems not to be the case. I'm surprised how often I have to use a dictionary to translate nautical terms to/from English.

This is is an international forum but sometimes I wonder why we have settled for English as an international language? Just to give an example. Do you know how to say the English word Pineapple in other languages?

But you can be sure, that most of them understand in the meantime also Ananas.

BTW: I do not understand, what this fruit has to do with an apple (without pine), so why only the british and american did not learn the correct term ;)

This is an apple:
gtxImageStore4415076444592245080.jpg

This is an ananas:
licensed-image.jpg

BTW2: In Zulu ananas is called "uphayinaphu" - so better to speak english here in our forum

Splendid guys!

Very simple ... the USA are a very, very young state, quasi "teenagers". Latin was and is not very common. But Latin is the ancient language of science: Ananas comosus. Too much for America. So simple catchy terms were used. The name pineapple is derived from the circumstance of the fruit being covered on all sides with small triangular scales, resembling the cone of a pine-tree.
For other expressions or terms, take a look at the neighboring country. Lower Saxony for Rope is Reep, etc.

For other expressions or terms, take a look at the neighboring country. Lower Saxony for Rope is Reep, etc.
Take a look at Lower Saxony for Reep. Been there done that . . . Reeperbahn :D:D
Reep / Rope in Danish is reb. Reeperbahn in Danish is Rebslagervej. We have a Rebslagervej in many Danish cities (aber doch keiner so sündig wie in Hamburg :p )

It is now downloaded, and I have been through all the pages. Will print parts out to add into a notebook to remember names etc, as not being from Uk, Us and total speaking Countries. I was in fact -and still may -to send out info of Riggen -standing and running -and blocks, tackles etc, as I see many questions about this matter, but this up to the Management to decide (Mein Freund UWE ) or Solly. I have more than 1000 Images and both in Engles and Spanish the complete running Riggen and standing. all in detailed drawing. Apart I do not know how many detailed Photos and complete build- the attached images are from a Spanish: Manual de Arquitectura Naval -510 pages. have about 300 pages digitalised

Attachments

• Scan_0001.jpg
    Scan_0001.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 51018110_831358120535763_3134587593568550912_n.jpg
    51018110_831358120535763_3134587593568550912_n.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 6
Back