Nauticurso "Artur" Brazialian fishing Boat [COMPLETED BUILD]

Here we go again guys.
This building log came about due to the fact Model Expo commissioned it to me because is a new model that they are selling.
The name of this kit is “Artur”.
Artur is the most popular fishing vessel among Brazilian fishermen. Many are still active in Brazilian waters today.
Researching this vessel I found out that many other nations like Russia, Norway, and Switzerland also used it. This type of vessel was also used in WWII to fight against Hitler by carrying ammo for the French.
This kit has gone through many upgrades by Nauticurso (Brazilian model maker). The kit I built is their first version, so after researching I decided to replace or created many parts of my own.
It comes with the running hardware needed for full radio control operation. Instructions Model Shipways Inc. carefully translates manual into English containing many photos showing step-by-step assembly.
All pieces are laser cut Amazonian wood.
Length 22"
Scale 1:32
Guaranteed to bring lots of fun and challenging moments for newbies and experts.
Maybe you guys know more about this ship than me. If you have any information about this vessel, please share it, I will be very glad to hear it.
This is an old photo of the real ship; notice how it carries the lifeboats in the Pilots cabin deck.

eafd66ddb6a73a39b5fa06e4687b86e0.jpg

A Czechoslovakian model maker also built this kit long time ago.
Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 7.36.46 PM.jpg

Last edited:
My first mistake I did was when I started to install the vertical strips around that makes the stern. This strips where supposed to protrude beyond the 4 bulkward to meet the planking.
As you can see here I built it flush with the bulkward. I fixed the mistake later on when I atsrted to plank it, but he good thing was that the hull will be painted and that left me room to fix the mistake later on the build.

IMG_9414.JPGIMG_9415.JPG

Last edited:
After I was pleased with the shape I built the ships cradle so I could use it along the build, but later on I made a better looking base for the ships display.
Here you see the product I used to give color and a it of sealer but I finalised the finish with
"Zinger Amber Shellac". This is my first time using this product. I dilute it 50/50 with denature alcohol speeding up the drying process and it works wonderfully.
After the first coat dry in 20 minutes you will notice that it really stands up the wood fibers so I sand it down with a 300 grit sandpaper and give it a second coat. I will show you later on what I used for final sealer.
Two coats is all you need but if you like a darker look you could add more coats until you get the color you like best.
IMG_9542.JPGIMG_9540.JPG

This is the Pilothouse. The kit has laser marked the wallboards of the pilothouse, so I did traced the width of the boards and pencil mark them throughout the other structures. All corner joint were covered with thin wood strips and I also added a reinforment on the top of the walls to have a better base for the roof.
The doors are laser cut so you could make them in the open position but I desided to leave ithem closed.
IMG_9594.JPGIMG_9589.JPGIMG_9590.JPG

Last edited:
This are the frames for the multi window on front of the pilot house.
As you can see, I scored the back of the front cabin wall and also wet it to make it easier to fold in shape and left it like that over night.

IMG_9593.JPGIMG_9596.JPGIMG_9600.JPGIMG_9601.JPGIMG_9602.JPGIMG_9603.JPGIMG_E9625.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9597.JPG
    IMG_9597.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Now that my window wall is bent into shape I assembled the pilots control console because it will be part of the inner structure that will hold the front window wall in place.

IMG_9592.JPGIMG_9591.JPGIMG_9614.JPGIMG_9597.JPGIMG_9598.JPGIMG_9599.JPG

This is the bottom cabin with the pencil marks done just like the pilot house. You could do this part of the ship without any markings and just paint it with a solid color like may other modelers have done but I just like to transfer the same boards scheme throughout the ship as you will see further down.
You could see the laser laser mark where the doors/frame/and rails will go later on after I paint them.
IMG_9627.JPGIMG_9611.JPGIMG_9612.JPGIMG_9625.JPG

Last edited:
I set aside the structures and jumped back to the hull by priming it and adding reinforcement where the bottom rudder bracket will be.
IMG_9643.jpg
IMG_9635.JPG
I place this two small pieces of cherry wood because I just didnt trust the thin keel ply.
IMG_9636.JPGIMG_9638.JPGIMG_9642.JPGIMG_9652.jpg
I finally found out where these two pieces belong. One on each side of the rudder keel therefore making this section thicker.

Last edited:
This s my biggest mistake in the entire build. The deck.
I never bothered to dry fir it to see if the outer part of the frames would meet the deck and they didn't. The frames where too wide and I had to add pieces to fill this gap. I will show it later on.
But I did darken the plank boards and also added over 400 pencil marked the deck pegs and proceded to also finish it a bit darker than the rest of my shellac finish.
IMG_9645.JPG

These are the navigation lights and the next picture is the hatch for the main hold and the sleeves that it will hold it in place.
As you can see, I did a bit of elabration with the main hatch cover. I liked the color contrast that the thin strips created.
Later on I added metal rings to it.
IMG_E9646.JPGIMG_9647.JPGIMG_9648.JPGIMG_9649.JPGIMG_9659.jpgIMG_9660.jpg

Last edited:
This the fabric-like material that came with the kit to be used as lifeboat cover. It had self adhesive back so I used the paper side that cover the glue to make this triangular marks so it could represent a real cover.

IMG_9737.JPG

IMG_9738.JPG

The lifeboats seats on the after deck to act as a hatch for the rudder servo arm .
IMG_9976.jpg

IMG_E0219.jpg

Last edited:
This another of my crazy creations. I dint like the base stand that the model came with so I proceeded to craete my own using my resently bought Proxxon table saw.
I got the idea from a picture I saw on Pinterest.
Check it out.
By the way I used Rust-Oleum Satin Clear Enamel to finish the entire boat.
IMG_0235.jpg17efa1ced50dba99f6dc7c586f704d1c.jpgIMG_E0081.JPGIMG_E0080.JPGIMG_E0076.JPGIMG_E0226.jpg

Last edited:
Back