Need some advice, whats the best knife handle for blades ?

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

hi Gentlemen,
I have hundreds of packets of new blades of various shapes and sizes .

You know, X acto type of blades and other brands that fit any generic handle, but I seem to always have difficulty with the blades coming loose and falling out when I am using the knife. Browsing the internet, I see they are all relatively cheap and mass produced. Just wondering if there is a better quality knife handle on the market that takes X Acto blades ?

thanks in advance.

Hi Brian,

I've used this type of xacto handle for years: Gripster Knife Handle
What makes it so different from traditional xacto handles is that it has a knurled knob at the back end and between this knob and the handle is a nut. By tightening the knob at the back end against the nut, it really locks the blade so it won't fall out or come loose. It works like a charm which is why that's the only kind I use except for a #5 xacto handle for the larger blades.

Bob

G'day Brian
I'm not too sure about xocto blades and handles.
I use and highly recommend Swan and Norton scrapple handle and number 10 blades.
I just bought a retractable handle and it's brilliant.
Screenshot_20180224-232956.jpg
I paid 8 dollars including postage from England and it took about 10 days. It's far cheaper than buying it in Australia. It's on eBay of course.
Havagooday
Greg

Hi Brian,
I have been using a folding box cutter more than my xacto lately, I get a better grip on the handle and the heavy-duty blades last longer.
Mike

Thanks for the helpful advice guys.

I called in to my local hobby shop and purchased a Tamiya cutting knife and I have to say I am impressed using it.

.IMG_0186.JPG

The brand on the handle is Olfa Japan, and they are very well renowned for making fine cutting instuments and blades.

.IMG_0187.JPG

I have at least six X-Acto handles and they all seem to be missing all the time! I’m afraid of investing in anything more expensive that I may never find again!

Many thanks for this topic......I have also very often the problem like Brian described.....therefore many thanks for all the hints and tips about better knifes -> very helpfull

Back