Need your opinions on models I purchased

I just got these models and was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knows anything about any of these models.
Harvey 1847/Baltimore Clipper
Trotamares Sailing motor powered yacht
Lexington American Brig
Yacht D'oro

The PRINS William SM40 I do realize it's way above my skill level

Thank you

Resized_20201228_143012.jpeg
20201228_145728.jpg20201228_143028.jpg20201228_142852.jpg20201228_142946.jpg

The only advice I can contribute, is to start from the model that seems easier to deal with and move on to those that seem more complex. I believe I would leave Prince William to the advanced stages of ability development

I would start with the Artesania Latina only because the instructions would be better (did you get a colour instruction booklet with your kit?)
The Italian manufacturers tend to have instructions that are more difficult to use and they leave a lot up to you to figure out.

. Local hobby shop is going out of business due to covid-19
That is too bad. I would have thought they would be doing well with folks spending more time at home. I know I'm keeping mine in business.
I second saving the Prins Willem for last as the rigging is more complex. Harvey was my first kit, which I never finished. I had more success with my "second first", a Mamoli kit, so I think the Lexington would be very approachable. The bare yards (no sails) also make that much simpler.
I would approach these in this order, but you do you!
1. Lexington
2. Yacht D'Oro
3. Harvey
4. Prins Willem
There is also plenty of information on Colonial Era ships (see Harold Hahn) to keep your interest up on that first one.
I don't do boats with motors ;) , so I didn't consider the Trotamares.

That is too bad. I would have thought they would be doing well with folks spending more time at home. I know I'm keeping mine in business.
I second saving the Prins Willem for last as the rigging is more complex. Harvey was my first kit, which I never finished. I had more success with my "second first", a Mamoli kit, so I think the Lexington would be very approachable. The bare yards (no sails) also make that much simpler.
I would approach these in this order, but you do you!
1. Lexington
2. Yacht D'Oro
3. Harvey
4. Prins Willem
There is also plenty of information on Colonial Era ships (see Harold Hahn) to keep your interest up on that first one.
I don't do boats with motors ;) , so I didn't consider the Trotamares.
Thank you!

I just got these models and was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knows anything about any of these models.
Lexington American Brig
Yacht D'oro

Thank you

View attachment 201909
View attachment 201906View attachment 201907View attachment 201904View attachment 201905
If you build the other models first, then Prinz Willem won't be beyond your skill level, merely a huge challenge in patience and detail. If medium complexity ships make you happier than complex ones, build those. As for me, I'd love to build Prinz Willem after I tackle a couple chosen favorites. If I do, it will probably be my first scratch built model.

nice stash indeed! Unlike all these galleon junkies I've got the Trotamares on my wish list - I'd do that first. Hull planking that will be painted over so mistakes can be filled and learned from, minimal mast and rigging but enough details to be interesting.

Lexington American Brig
Yacht D'oro

Thank you

View attachment 201909
View attachment 201906View attachment 201907View attachment 201904View attachment 201905
The only kit I've built in this stash is Harvey and I had a blast doing it.

Hi Sparky!

I would start with "Harvey" . Beautiful, sleek ship, easy rigging.
Long time ago I started with a similar ship, and it was no big challenge. I gave it as a gift to my father in law who died many years ago.
Still exists at my mother in law, but suffered from severe storms over all these years ;)

Christian

Hello Sparky,
Greeting for across the Pond, may I wish you a Happy and Healthy new Year.
I would suggest the following order for building these five models. This is based upon complexity, which as a rough guide I frtermined by the number of masts and the amunt of riggin on each vessel as follows:-
1 Vacat D'Oro
2 Lexington
3 Harvey
4 Troamares
5 Prins Willem.

I am not familiar with these kits and I do not know the quality of the Instructions and drawings. which can make or marr the task of building a model ship.
This is espcially so when it comes to rigging the masts and yards. If you are not familiar with the rigging of a sailing vessel, may I reccomend to oyu a book that I found very useful with rigging. It has a separate page for each line on the vessel with the blocks and knot details.
It applies to most sailng vessels form around 1520, king Henry VIII up to the Tea Clippers. You may have to dig into the two masted ships such as the New England Schooners but the same basic principals will apply.
Title:- Rigging Period Ship Models
Author:- Lennarth Peterson
Publisher:- Seaforth Publishing in the UK.
ISBN:- 078 1 84832 102 1
I obtained my copy through Amazon.
Best wishes Derek

Back