NEW BEDFORD WHALE BOAT by Mario 1/16 scale scratch build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello All,
A good friend of mind is a really good modeler, but had never done a wood model boat/ship. So a while back I gave him one of my stored kits. The Model Shipways Whale Boat. As time went by, he did a great job and it turned out beautiful.
When I gave him the kit it came with stipulations.... I wanted the box and plans back in one piece so I could build it in the near future. So he gave what he didn't use back to me plus my plans and the building jig. Since he made his own jig. I have basswood which is what I am going to use.
I found out the kit was missing parts. As for the building jig my buddy said some of the pieces where missing and the profile was way off. So I have some work to do. I bought this kit but never opened it. maybe I should of opened it many moons ago. Oh well!

So now with the plans, book, and not much else time to make a boat! As for wood not that far ahead in my plans as of yet. Let you know as soon I know...

Let's get started shall we....

1525802497_1925_FT0_img_0975.jpg

Hallo Mario,
A Great start of this interesting project.
I like very much your way of presentation, with text in the photo so it is easy to follow and understand what you are showing and explain us. And I like your details step by step.
I will follow your building log with big interest.

Thanks Uwe! I try to be as informitive as I can. I try be as helpful as I can if someone decided for example to build this model here. I just try to return the favor from the help I get from others too.

So now after contemplating what wood. I decided to build two boats. I have so much basswood probably make one from that. Then go with Intarsia for the other. The book says if your using planks 3/64's thick or 1/32. Does not explain wht two different thicknesses.
I have milled that thin with basswood. But not with the hardwoods. Plus using a slitting blade for me anyway is a big pain in the butt. but I'll see how it goes.

1525985944_1925_FT31903_img_1043.jpg

1525985993_1925_FT31903_img_1045.jpg

1525986131_1925_FT31903_img_1047.jpg

1525986156_1925_FT31903_img_1049.jpg

You continue, like you started -> very interesting log, very interesting

One question: the sander is a byrns, and the circular saw.....who is the producer?

THANKS UWE!

Well its been a little will. just have been very busy with other things lately. Finding spare time has been a challenge. So what i"m going to show is parts of the plans and book. Because I thought it would be easier to understand what I am trying to accomplish here. This model ain't for the young. Practicums are practicums, I'm saying this because I treat them like the Pirates Code, they are more like guide lines to me. If it works well for the writer of the practicum then all is well, but if something works better for me I will go that route.
It's gets a little complicated here so if I do not explain it right please ask or tell me and maybe I can clarify a little better.

So the plans and book pics first...

1527016554_1925_FT31903_img_1153.jpg

1527016554_1925_FT31903_img_1154.jpg

1527016554_1925_FT31903_img_1155.jpg

1527016554_1925_FT31903_img_1158.jpg

Now the pic above shows how the stem n stern post will come together with the keel. But also shows how i mush creat the bevels for the garboard strake.

1527016903_1925_FT31903_img_1159.jpg

1527016903_1925_FT31903_img_1160.jpg

Hello All,
A good friend of mind is a really good modeler, but had never done a wood model boat/ship. So a while back I gave him one of my stored kits. The Model Shipways Whale Boat. As time went by, he did a great job and it turned out beautiful.
When I gave him the kit it came with stipulations.... I wanted the box and plans back in one piece so I could build it in the near future. So he gave what he didn't use back to me plus my plans and the building jig. Since he made his own jig. I have basswood which is what I am going to use.
I found out the kit was missing parts. As for the building jig my buddy said some of the pieces where missing and the profile was way off. So I have some work to do. I bought this kit but never opened it. maybe I should of opened it many moons ago. Oh well!

So now with the plans, book, and not much else time to make a boat! As for wood not that far ahead in my plans as of yet. Let you know as soon I know...

Let's get started shall we....

1525802497_1925_FT0_img_0975.jpg
Thank you so much for posting this. I did Winston Scoville's group build/practicum years ago and want to do this again, since I want another for the family. I have not been able to locate the practicum online anywhere but I do still have the book and the plans. It was a struggle with the building jig as you experienced, but the plans are so well done. I love how each plank has been patterned and it reminded me of the several hours of gratuitous cursing at my scanner. You have done the book proud here, from what I see reading the building jig section and once again, thank you.

I really need to correct my last post. The practicum I did was done by Gene Bodnar, not Mr. Scoville. Also I did find it, appears to be a .pdf file on this site. My apologies for this.

I really need to correct my last post. The practicum I did was done by Gene Bodnar, not Mr. Scoville. Also I did find it, appears to be a .pdf file on this site. My apologies for this.
Absolute no problem.....
One small hint to make changes in your older posts: You can find on all own posts at the bottom the navigation line with Report / Edit / Delete / etc......
Via "Edit" you can make changes on your older uploaded posts - do not forget to "Post Reply" afterwards

Hello All,
Before I get started on my modeling updates. I would like to say me and my family offer our prayers to you all who are in the mist of fighting this horrible Pandemic. I pray everyday that the hardest hit areas Italy and Europe get a handle on this virus. I hope that being apart of the human race that we come together to beat this virus down and out of our lives. I believe we can do great things if we band together and fight this.
I live in California, USA. We have received orders to stay at home and not wonder outside into the city. Me and my wife have elderly parents in their 80's n 90's and we are trying to help them as much as possible, but also trying to practice social distancing. So God Bless to you all and we as a human race will beat this thing!!!

So being in lock-down and can't really go any where I have had even more time now for my models. So I will be updating here on the Hannah and on my New Bedford Whale Boat log. My wives n my parents require a lot of assistance, and mine are both wheel chair bound. We have 3 grandkids and as I like to refer to them as my two boys and my granddaughter.My boys are both Autistic so so our lives are filled with assisting our parents and our boys. Just in case you wanted to know where I have been and why I don't come around hardly ever anymore. But i do still work on models and woodworking in general.
So I will post soon so you know I'm still at it.

Hello Mario, Great little build you have there, just love your very fine presentation as you explain things so well and you are doing a great job of building your Whalboat, well done.
I see that you have one of those Brynes thickness sanders, How do you like it? Been thinking of ordering one for my Old Ship Yard, Would you recommend it? I do have his table saw and just love it, as you can do so much with it.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
Thank you and yes I do recommend it. very nice machine. I am using basswood for the model so i have to be very careful. It chews up softwood very quickly. So the 1/10th adjustments do come in handy on the sander.

Hi Jan thanks and Thank you for stopping by.

HI EVERYBODY,
RIGHT NOW I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF INSTALLING THE FRAMES TO THE MODEL. BUT WHERE I HAD LEFT OFF WAS PLANKING THE HULL. I USED BASS WOOD BECAUSE I DO PLAN ON PAINTING THE MODEL. NOW FOR THE INTERIOR I AM CONTEMPLATING NOT PAINTING.
THE PLANKING WAS ACTUALLY VERY EASY TO DO EVEN WHEN YOU HAD TO PLACE THE SEAM BATTENS FIRST AND THEN THE PLANK. PLUS I MADE SURE I SANDED THE BEVELS NEEDED ON EACH PLANK TO SIT PROPERLY. WHICH IS OUTLINED IN THE BOOK. I TRACED THE PATTERNS FROM THE PLANS, MADE MY PLANK AND CONTINUED ON FROM THERE. I WOULD PLACE TWO PLANKS ON ONE SIDE THEN I WOULD SWITCH TO THE OTHER SIDE. THIS KEPT ME AWARE THAT I WAS INSTALLING THE PLANKING EVENLY ON THE PORT N STARBOARD SIDES CORRECTLY.
ONCE DONE I SANDED WHAT I COULD WHILE ON THE JIG, INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR AREAS. ONCE I INSTALL SOME OF THE FRAMES I WILL REMOVE THE REST OF THE BUILD JIG TO SAND AND CLEAN UP AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. MAINLY TO REMOVE BITS OF GLUE.
SO HERE IS A FEW PICTURES FOR TO SEE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE. APOLOGIES FOR TAKING SO LONG TO POST PICS.
OOOOPS JUST NOTICE I HAD "CAPS LOCKED"! OH WELL. 1164.JPG1165.JPG1166.JPG1167.JPG1168.JPG1169.JPG1170.JPG1171.JPG1172.JPG

HELLO,
I DECIDED TO PAINT THE BOAT. THE INBOARD WOULD BE YELLOW AND THE HULL GREEN. THE FRAMES WERE DONE IN SWISS PEAR. I PAINTED IN HIGH GLOSS BECAUSE THE SHINE HELP BRING OUT ANY PERFECTIONS TO DEAL WITH AND CLEAR UP. AFTER THAT I WILL BE ADDING A DULL CLEAR COAT SO IT WILL LOOK A LOT BETTER.

1591194281_1925_FT31903_1173.jpg

yahoo_big_grin.gif
cheers Mario.......
yahoo_big_grin.gif
yahoo_flag.gif

Back