New Bedford Whaleboat 1/16 by Model Shipways

Greetings All,

I picked up this kit at my local hobby shop and intend for it to be my first foray into wooden model ship building.

I’ve built a few Model Airways plane kits before and have been impressed with the quality so this felt like a good choice to start with. The ultimate goal is to one day build the Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon which I have but I definitely want to get a few smaller kits under my belt first.

My main work bench in the garage is currently occupied by one of my planes so I’m spending today setting up an additional bench in the house.

First impressions: The lazer cut wood looks great and just like the Model Airways quality so I’m not anticipating any issues with too much breaking. Easyyy does it. The kit came with a huge 150 pg instruction manual with the first 2 chapters dedicated to the history and construction of these actual boats. That will make for some excellent nightly reading!

The cast Brittania pieces will require a bit of finishing but nothing too intensive. The full sized plans look awesome and I believe will be going on my hobby room wall as decoration after this build is complete.

I’ll be posting pictures of the unboxing and initial set up later this evening but in the meantime thanks for stopping by! Looking forward to a fun build.

WillIMG_5463.jpeg

Last edited:
Back