New Bee to SOS

Being a retired Engineer of 82 my other hobby was building High End Acoustic Guitars. My shop is air conditioned but does not keep up with 100+ degree temp. I bought a kit of the sailing ship The Benjaman W. Lathan, I got the bulk heads and started to planking the hull, there where the problems began to surface. I decided to join this Forum to seek help!! Help!! the drawing don't match the parts and the parts are off! So I started the the Main rail and once again the parts and the drawing don't match. I won't quite but I have to take it so as to not through the thing in the .......!

I'm in the stage that I know where the parts are wrong and I have to make the parts to match the frame I've constructed, being an engineer I will go down to our local Printing shop an make several copy's of the ship and the areas in question,and to the local hobby shop to obtain the correct balsa supply. and cut out the part necessary to make it right..... If this is the right approach I'm golden, if not Corsair? Help

If it is the kit by Model Shipways, the hull planking is not balsa. It is Basswood. Your assessment of the situation may be the easy way, but without knowing exactly what you are seeing, I'm not sure. :)

By the way, if your local shop doesn't have any wood that you need, you can buy lumber of many types and sizes from the Model Expo web site. They are the same company that makes your kit. :)

Thanks Jeff I stand corrected it is basswood. I think your right about the situation I'm in and I will let you know the out come. By the way the Bluenose that is plank on frame (POF) looks to be more difficult but it is CAD drawn and is made from the CAD file, making the drawings more accurate, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the help. Just learning the Ropes so to speak John

Hi John and welcome aboard. I am new to the hobby, so I am not sure if I can be much help. The Benjamin Latham was the first kit I built. I found it to be frustrating trying to fit the parts to the plans. I ended up using the plans as a rough guide. I found the stern placement to be the most problematic. If you could post some pictures, maybe I could be more help.

Bill

Bill, That, the stern, I have run in to the same problem nothing fits so I think I will use my design abilities and create my own stern....

Hi John, I bought the book The American Fishing Schooners by Howard Chapelle. The book has line drawing of the Benjamin Latham. I used the line drawings to get angle of the stern correct.

Bill
IMG_4715.jpeg

Last edited:
it is CAD drawn and is made from the CAD file, making the drawings more accurate, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the help. Just learning the Ropes so to speak John
I don't believe a CAD drawing is more accurate than a standard drawing. I'm sure that as an Engineer, you realize that it is all dependent on the accuracy and care taken of all the different people involved. Was it designed correctly, was it drawn by the Draftsman correctly and was it built/assembled according to those plans properly by the builders? :) I've not build the kit you have. Most of the Model Shipways kits are pretty good. In addition, I've found their customer service to be excellent.

Jeff, as an engineer I studied late in my career CAD because the math made the item more accurate and the section for stress to be easier to study, in drafting you try as you can to get it right, but in manufacturing you use the drawings as a guide. With all the new cad and printing you can get an accurate part from the CAD file. You can not get the same from a hand drafted print. I will check with the customer service if I need to, thanks for the post, I do appreciate the help and advice.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Back