New Forum

Hi Donnie,
and all fellow ship modelers.
We are all blessed to have such a Forum, and such a fine Owner Admin!
shipmodelmaker
:text-thankyouyellow:

Good job Donnie. Stopped by the forum yesterday and thought I was in the wrong place. Nice new look.
Joe

Well, you are all most very welcome. I had been putting this off for about a year knowing that I "had" to do a full conversion before the older system was going to pass by us all. The other software enterprise system was getting very close to not supporting what we had. I had to do something.

I went into a test phase that lasted about a month or more. The Board that you are on now was built several times and worked out database problems before I felt comfortable with releasing it to the public. All it takes is one false move with some code and bam, nothing.

As time goes by, there will be some very minor changes made such as the "Title Bar" at top along with different model ships to showcase at top of banner. So, watch...your ship could be featured at the top at header as well.

Right now, i am working on a "Redirect" that when people browse to the old, they will be automatically sent to the new (this one). I am not a software engineer and I am certainly not a database manager and have done a ton of reading and going to other forms of help to get this done. Web page and Web site design has become more complicated than when I started writing HTML code by hand over 15 years ago. Now, it is almost unrecognizable as the things they do now.

Believe me, I am not bragging on myself at all. If I am doing anything, it is taking a bunch of stomach pills and getting through the nervousness to make sure I don't screw up royally !!!

sigh - so lets just enjoy what we have now - thank goodness !

Donnie
oh--ps--
The old forum is still there for a little while if you need to compare your old post to your new post to make sure you are up to date. If you see that the new forum does not have your latest photos or comments, just do back to the old forum, navigate to the last few or several post and copy "one post at a time", then I would even suggest opening NOTEPAD and pasting that post in there to make sure all the comments are there. Then navigate to the new forum, CREATE a NEW reply and paste that info. Since you have your photos on your local computer, you can just attach the file to the new forum. Just do ONE post at at time until you have it like you want it. I could have had the new forum EXACT without doing this, but I would have had to shut down the old forum for a few days, and I really did not want to do that. All browsers these days allow for multiple "TABS" to be open so you can quickly go from one site to the other. If you have ANY doubts, fears, (and I can relate to that 100%), I will help you get it right.

Ahoy, all ship modelers and SOS members.
To celebrate the New Forum, I have made more room in my Group.
My Group is;
GlickModelShop Group.
We now have 431 members.
A good amount of ship modelers.
All hobbyists.
Open Invitation;
Any SOS member who sends me their e-mail address will get an invitation to join.
Send it to;
glicker31@yahoo.com
Owner and Moderator
aka shipmodelmaker and Sgt. Glick
Jerry G (Glickstein)
Open 24/7 ( Just ask my girlfriend :cool:
Ship Modeler in Fresh Meadows, Queens, New York

Brian,
I think everything about the image physical sizes (max 900 wide) is still the same along with the File size. I think that I might wind up making that 875 max wide, just depends on how it "looks appealing" on the forum. Right now, just keep doing what you are doing and lets just see how things work out with the images. One thing not necessarily applying to you, but one idea is to use an image hosting company and use links to post your images. Most are free. I use photobucket for all my image linking as it provides for a nice clean appearance.

This new forum has what is called automatic rendering that automatically adjust pages to compensate even with an iPhone or tablets. Tweeks will come as requested or required.

Donnie

The only thing that I have to say is the remember me box on the sign on screen. I have checked that box every time that I have signed in and it does not want to remember me. Hummmm is that a hint? :lol:

If I remember there is a setting in Admin to enable that feature of remembering the login credentials. I will look into that.

Donnie

I tried it and I have to say I will have to research this. I can say that for now, just don't LOG OUT. Just close your browser or navigate to another page and when you visit SOS again, you will still be LOGGED IN.

WIth my Firefox (FF), it will ask me if I want to remember the password whether I have the box checked or not. You can also remember the password that way as well.

I admit that it is easier and more convenient not to have to put that info in every time.

It's really no biggie, just thought that I would mention it. My Apple has a feature called Key Chain, every time you open a site it will ask if you want to have Key Chain fill in the information. I mentioned it because there may be some that do not that that feature.
Joe

Back