New here

Hi,
My name is Ab Hoving and I live in Holland. Model shipbuilding has been my hobby all of my life and in 1989 I left behind my job as an art teacher in Groningen, up north, to become head of the restoration department Navy models of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The museum holds a beautiful collection of ship models and parts, collected by the Navy and the Admiralties, dating back to 1640. I retired in 2012, much to my regret. It was a wonderful time, working on the most exquisite models man has made in the past.
If in many cases during my professional life I built ship models, my only aim was to investigate building methods, constructions or for instance the usefulness of 17th and 18th century building contracts. The model was never the end product, it was all about the knowledge. Modelbuilding was a method of research for me in those days.
Nowadays I build ship models purely for fun. I am not a very good model builder. I am always impressed to see what other people are capable of, with no other purpose than the fun of building. I am sloppy and sometimes too hasty, but I always aim for a realistic look nowadays. Later on perhaps I will show you what I mean.
To make it easier for myself I use paper as the basic material now. Paper is a wonderful versatile and easy-to-shape material and it takes very little tools to work with. Although I used to make many paper kits of planes and vehicles in my spare time, I never used paper for ship models. It was the papermodelers.com site where I was inspired to build paper ships. The papermodelerssite is a wonderful medium for model builders, but not entirely dedicated to ship modeling. Planes, vehicles, space ships and figurines all show up there. I recommend it to you all to take a look. But probably this forum, specialized in ships and boats, is a better platform to show my efforts and to learn from you all.
In the nearby future I will try to post some recent work. Hope you will like it.
Best,
Ab

Hallo Ab,
and also a warm welcome here on board of our forum. Many Thanks for your introduction.
We are very happy (and more), that you decided to register and participate in our activities, talks and research.
Also we are all looking forward to hear and see your modeling work, but also to get maybe some insight of your work in the Rijksmuseum.
I am also a big fan of your writing and made already a Book Review of one of your publications

Goodday Ab,

You are very welcome to our site which is all about the fun of building shipmodels.
It would be great to see some of your work here, followed your blogs on Papermodellers and MSW and I love the weathered looks of your models showing them as real working machines which they are.

As a Dutchman my hart is with the Dutch ship and also with the methode of building them. I have seen your shell first building methode which I am now studying for my next build. First I had the idea to build the Fluyt de Molen, using the Zeehean drawings and data and converting this to the Molen. It looks Herbert Thomesen did this also for his model of the Molen. But after receiveing your most recent book I probably change to the fluyt Langewijk, but thats still in the future.

Welcome aboard SOS, Ab! We are grateful you have joined our ship modeling community, here at SOS! We would love to see some of your models both completed and in-progress. :)

Hi Ab, WHAT A PRIVLAGE IT IS FOR US ON SOS TO HAVE SUCH AN ACOMPLISED BUILDER AND RESEARCHER, I HAVE A LONG LINE OF BUILDS GOIG BUT HAVE THE DUYFCEN FROM KLONDERSTSAT ON MY TO DO LIST HIGH UP. SO WELCOME HERE Don

Back