New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Just received a new book - and it looks like a very interesting one

Das Erbe der Serenissima
Rekonstruktion und Restaurierung eines venezianischen Linienschiffsmodells von 1794
by Dr. Karl Klaus Körner

translated something like:
The Legacy of the Serenissima - Reconstruction and Restoration of a venecian Ship of the Line of 1794

IMG_53071.jpg

attached 25 drawings of the monograph of the model
IMG_53081.jpg

this was the model before the restoration, forgotten in the cellar of the Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums in Vienna
das-erbe-der-serenissima-modello-prima-rest.jpg

and after the restoration back in the museum
das-erbe-der-serenissima-modello-rest.jpg

das-erbe-der-serenissima-piano.jpg

Awsome. This book jumps on place one in my to buy list. I hope to see one of your good reviews soon.
I will make one in short time - it is really good
PS: If you really order it, order directly from the publisher and not somewhere else! It is the cheapiest price there !

Today I received a new book for my collection

Glasgow Museums
The Ship Models
A History and complete illustrated Catalogue
by EMILY MALCOLM (has been curator of Glasgow Museums' Ship Model collection since 2003. She has a wide-ranging interest in maritime collections in museums and a particular enthusiasm for ship models and modelmaking)

Publisher: Naval Institute Press

IMG_5459.JPG

Synopsis:

This publication will be the first full catalog of Glasgow Museums' internationally important collection of ship models.
Almost all of the 676 models, which range from elegant cruise liners to humble Clyde puffers, and from simple half-hull design models to magnificent display models, were produced by Clyde shipyards or Glasgow-based ship owners. It is the representation of models from such a distinct geographical area, together with the quality of the models, which makes this collection so exceptional. As well as general chapters about the collection, each of the 676 models have a description and color photograph.
Some of the most famous ships launched on the Clyde are represented, such as RMS
Queen Elizabeth and HMS Hood, as well models of historically significant vessels such as the first European passenger steamer Comet and the world's first commercial turbine-powered vessel King Edward.
A stunning collection of photographs complements newly researched and in-depth chapters. The book will give readers worldwide a chance to see images of the models, a sense of the breadth and importance of the collection and a deepened understanding of the whole history of the ship.

I will post a Book Review in some time .....

The Ketch-rigged Sloop Speedwell of 1752 by Greg Herbert and David Antscherl

Volume II, Hull Details and Rigging you can find here (below the link)

Volume I, The Hull
Format: 8.5 x 11, 238 pages
8-page color section
5 sheets of plans
ISBN: 7320162179781
Publisher:
SeaWatchBooks

IMG_1170.jpg

Synopsis
From Seawatchbooks website:

Introducing volume I of SPEEDWELL, a ketch-rigged sloop of 1752. Her rig was designed to be able to sail close to the wind to be able to go after her main prey, privateers, and smugglers. She had light scantlings and was armed with 8 three pounders and 10 swivels.
The book is 8 1/2” x 11” format with 238 pages, bound in hardcover with a dust jacket. An eight-page color section is included along with 5 sheets of plans.

Book 1 covers building the hull using three methods: POF (Plank Of Frame), POB (Plank Of Bulkhead), and solid hull using the 'lift' method.
Book II covering masting and rigging should be published in late 2019 *Jim's note: it didn't publish yet as of today

Some sample pages from the book

600_1504.jpg
600_1505.jpg
600_1507.jpg
600_1508.jpg
600_1509.jpg
600_1510.jpg
600_1511.jpg
600_1512.jpg
600_1513.jpg
600_1514.jpg
600_1515.jpg
600_1516.jpg
600_1517.jpg

The book accompanied by 5 sheets of plans:
Plan Sheet 1
Board plan, frame, platforms, planking explanation, and sheer plan
Plan Sheet 2 Profile, weatherdeck framing, and bulkhead (POB) model patterns
Plan Sheet 3 Lift model patterns
Plan Sheet 4 Bow and Stern frame patterns, cant frame patterns, and weather deck planking
Plan Sheet 5 Square frame patterns

All plan sheet comes folded in the paper envelope
600_1477.jpg600_1476.jpg
Plan sheet 5
600_1469-ink.jpeg
Plan sheet 4
600_1470-ink.jpeg
Plan sheet 2
600_1472-ink.jpeg
Plan Sheet 3
600_1471-ink.jpeg
Plan Sheet 3 (enlarged)
600_1473-ink.jpeg
Plan Sheet 1
600_1474-ink.jpeg
From authors: Dr.Greg Herbert and David Antscherl

Speedwell was chosen as a subject for several reasons. First, it is an attractive smaller ship not often seen in model form. Secondly, the fully-framed hull is less complex to construct than that of a sixth rate. Each frame has fewer pieces than a larger vessel. A model of this size, even at 1:48 scale, consumes little expensive wood. These features an ideal subject for the model-maker's first effort at 'real' framing.

Alternatively, the model-maker may choose to build a POB or solid lift version of this vessel. Instructions and plans are also provided for both these forms of construction.

Attachments

• 600_1475-ink.jpeg
    600_1475-ink.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 15
Going a bit ahead of this book review. I found it is an excellent source for the first-time scratch builder! The books covers three methods of scratch builds. At 1:48 scale, alternatively, the model-maker may choose to build a POB (Plank On Bulkhead), Solid lift version or POF (Plank on Frame). Supplied plans cover all three methods material e.g. bulkheads, frames in scale 1:48. Book dedicated chapters for each method and there are combined chapters in comonot for all three methods. Wow!! :)

I was so happy with the book written by Mr. Körner

I just ordered another one

Die Fregatten karl klaus Korner.jpg

DIE FREGATTEN MARIA THERESIAS
Schiffbau in Porto Rè 1765-1770
by KÖRNER Karl Klaus

in moment available for a special price online from a bookstore in Vienna

View attachment 132746

by KÖRNER Karl Klaus

Is the book includes plan sets too?

View attachment 132746

by KÖRNER Karl Klaus

Today I received the copy of

by KÖRNER Karl Klaus
12.jpg

included are also 10 drawings on 5 prints (front and backside printed)
11.jpg

In addition I ordered the following book, due to the fact, that it was offered for a very special price

Die Schiffe der k.(u.)k. Kriegsmarine
Band 1: 1848-1895
Austro-Hungarian Warships in Photographs
by Lothar Baumgartner and Erwin Sieche

written bilingual in german and english

13.jpg

The book most used in my libary is my Paasch dictionary. I think every day i use this book. Until now i had only the small reduced conway edition. I bought now the reprint from 1978 from the original edition from 1885. The difference in content and size is immense.

1582122043482.png

1582122081742.png

1582122105499.png

The book most used in my libary is my Paasch dictionary. I think every day i use this book. Until now i had only the small reduced conway edition. I bought now the reprint from 1978 from the original edition from 1885. The difference in content and size is immense.

View attachment 133858

View attachment 133859

View attachment 133860
This time no new costs for me ---- I have it already ;) Puhh

CYGNA
MONOGRAPHIE DU CYGNE - Brick -1806 - Langue : Anglais

is coming to my home (just ordered) :)
Very good decision Thumbs-Up
For everybody interested to know more in detail, what Jim ordered (BTW: a beautiful ship), please take a look at our Planset Review of the Le Cygne
I will receive my english version of the booklet also in short time! (according the last mail from Didier......) :) :) :)

Received some days ago - It is looking like a great book - a book review will follow

c (2).jpg

c (2).jpg b (2).jpg a (2).jpg

The Master Shipwright's Secrets
How Charles II built the Restoration Navy (Englisch)

by Richard Endsor (Autor)

Inspired by the recent discovery of mathematically calculated digital plans for a fourth-rate ship by the Deptford master shipwright, John Shish, The Master Shipwright's Secrets is an illustrated history of Restoration shipbuilding focused on the Tyger, one of the smaller but powerful two-deck warships of the period. It examines the proceedings of King Charles II in deciding the types of ship he wanted and his relationship with his master shipwrights.

This fascinating book reveals the many secrets of Charles II's shipwrights through an analysis of John Shish's plans for the Tyger, revealing innovative practical calculations which differ significantly from the few contemporary treatises on the subject and the complicated process of constructing the moulds necessary to make the ship's frame. All the other duties performed by the master shipwrights, such as repairing ships, controlling their men and keeping up with the latest inventions are also discussed in detail.

The Master Shipwright's Secrets is replete with beautiful and detailed illustrations of the construction of the Tyger and explores both its complicated history and its complex rebuilding, complete with deck plans, internal sections, and large-scale external shaded drawings. The title also explores associated ships, including another fourth-rate ship, the Mordaunt, which was purchased into the Navy at the time and underwent a dimensional survey by John Shish. A rare contemporary section drawing of another fourth-rate English ship and constructional drawings of Shish's later fourth-rate ship, St Albans, are also included.

Back