New kit!

Hi folks, almost completed my first build Artesania Santa Maria. Excellent kit, no complaints however now that I am searching for my next "work of art" I find there are no decent suppliers in South Africa & if I select one from outside the delivery is astronomical. Any suggestions would appreciated.

Hallo Brian,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If there is no manufacturer in your country, and the postage from Europe, USA or Asia is too expensive -> you have to make a scratch model.......

If you order a kit from a dealer in the EU, you have to pay only the netto value without the VAT.
This makes the price by approximately 20% (depending on the country) cheaper...... off course the postage costs will stay.....

Thanks Uwek, please explain a scratch model!
Models build based on drawings and plans - and not based on a purchased kit.
Take a look at our area for scratch building

Hi Brian,
From my own experience, good quality kits in SA is scarce, there is a couple of online shops that stock kits, but they are often sold out.
Loot.co.za stock Constructo kits, Raru.co.za stock Artesania Latina kits, mostly sold out(hopefully this will change now that AL is up and running again)
I normally browse Facebook marketplace, every once in a while something nice comes up - I got a Billing Boats Cutty Sark for R2000, i see there is currently a Mamoli Victory for R4500, which is a good price.
Good luck

Last edited:
and if you are not fixed to a special kit model - you can also try (relaxed) to get a cheap kit (hopefully complete and untouched) on ebay or other platforms.
OK - postage is still to be paid

Reactions: ADC
and if you are not fixed to a special kit model - you can also try (relaxed) to get a cheap kit (hopefully complete and untouched) on ebay or other platforms.
OK - postage is still to be paid
Agree, kits bought from private sellers on Ebay are at usually a hefty discount on new which may offset postage costs.

Hmm... something is odd here. 1:45 scale is not common. In addition, the AL kit at 1:48 scale should be a smaller model, yet is larger measuring out to a full 98cm long x 76.3cm tall.
It takes a whole lot of honesty to sell rubberband by meter. It seems to me the same goes for scale ship models? (or even full size ships? :D) At least I have noticed the issue you descripe several times when I have compared the same ship from one company to another. Sometimes even from the same company but 2 different scales show discrepancy. In som cases even excactly same kit is specified with different lenghts from seller to seller.

I'm not sure about the lengt of the real Bounty (Bethia 1784). According to Wikipedia the lenght was 90 ft 10 in (27.7 m) but I guess that must be LWL and not LOA? (I think there is at least 7 different ways to measure the lenght of a ship)

Either way, I just compared 11 different scale kits of Bounty and each and all of them corresponds to different full sizes:
ScaleLenghtCorresponding to meter IRL
Contructo1:50760 mm
38,0​
Billing Boats (B492C)1:50780 mm
39,0​
Octre (14006)1:45920 mm
41,4​
Octre (14006) other seller1:45914 mm
41,13​
Mamoli mini (MM01)1:135340 mm
45,9​
Mamoli (MV52)1:100448 mm
44,8​
Mamoli (MV69)1:64610 mm
39,04​
Caldercraft (9008)1:64660 mm
42,24​
Amati (1432)1:60750 mm
45​
Mantua Sergal (785)1:60700 mm
42​
Artesania Latina (22810)1:48980 mm
47,04​

Last edited:
It seems to me the same goes for scale ship models?
It seems so indeed. Very interesting. I guess we could expect some variences in overall length due to bowsprit/rigging. But, your graph shows a wide range for sure. It is funny how the same kit from 2 different sellers even shows different measurements. As popular a ship as the Bounty is, you would think everyone would be on the same page by now...

What do others think??

Back