New Member from Canada

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to join this group that has such a great source and pool of talent.
Where I am stranded, is on the great expanse of the Canadian western plains. The only thing that might relate to the sea here is our prairie schooners (covered wagons) that you can find in our museums.
The ship building bug found me in the eighties. I built, in small scales, the HMS Victory and the Blue Nose. None of which I would be comfortable to show.
I always was intrigued with the Victory and Lord Nelson. Reading all that I could over the years, my wife and I found the opportunity to venture to Portsmouth and spend the day with the Victory in all her splendour. I then after, proceeded back up to Windsor where I purchased the Mantua/Panart #738 HMS Victory kit. I spent a minimal time on the model while I was in Africa working throughout the 90s. Upon returning to Canada in 2001 my project was placed in the attic where she sat till this past October, (Covid), when I dusted off, joined this illustrious group and dove back in to it.
I now have completed the project, with her sails showing being furled. This required the acquisition of additional sail rigging, blocks and of course the making of the sails.
I just want to thank all the members and their direction/information they posted. I feel I know you all very well, with the hours I spent surfing this site, seeking the answers needed, and I was never disappointed, for that I thank you. I would especially like to acknowledge one member, DALAIB, his posts were a invaluable resource to my build and I.
Kindly
Darby

9493BDFF-795F-4AB2-A127-E8E63FB3E2CF.jpeg6580B0E6-0BD0-445E-ADB8-75D85C9988B7.jpegF8C520F0-5064-4D3A-BCC3-66ACD0526BBB.jpegE0995C54-E560-4092-BC3B-D972BF3B02EF.jpeg

Darby, I am flattered and humbled that you found my build of the Victory helpful for you and your build. Although some of my logs may not be of the knowledge level of many of the master model ship builders on this site, I did want to share the successes that I had and show the short comings I ran into also. I can't take all of the credit because many on this site also helped me to get back on track on my build, and for those un-named individuals, thank you. Your build came out great looking and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did building her. Now the hard part... finding a place to berth her because of it's size. Again, thank you for the complement.

Your posts were life saving throughout my build. Spent many a night blowing up the photos of your Victory. The plans as you mentioned in your posts left a person wanting and I also had pieces missing which I ending up having to fabricate myself.
Your research and solutions regarding sails put me on a fast track for mine and it was very much appreciated.
I laughed at your post regarding your fingers after you had done the coppering of the haul. But I wasn’t laughing when I completed mine, my fingers looked worse than yours!
thanks again
☘️

Hallo Darby
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to join this group that has such a great source and pool of talent.
Where I am stranded, is on the great expanse of the Canadian western plains. The only thing that might relate to the sea here is our prairie schooners (covered wagons) that you can find in our museums.
The ship building bug found me in the eighties. I built, in small scales, the HMS Victory and the Blue Nose. None of which I would be comfortable to show.
I always was intrigued with the Victory and Lord Nelson. Reading all that I could over the years, my wife and I found the opportunity to venture to Portsmouth and spend the day with the Victory in all her splendour. I then after, proceeded back up to Windsor where I purchased the Mantua/Panart #738 HMS Victory kit. I spent a minimal time on the model while I was in Africa working throughout the 90s. Upon returning to Canada in 2001 my project was placed in the attic where she sat till this past October, (Covid), when I dusted off, joined this illustrious group and dove back in to it.
I now have completed the project, with her sails showing being furled. This required the acquisition of additional sail rigging, blocks and of course the making of the sails.
I just want to thank all the members and their direction/information they posted. I feel I know you all very well, with the hours I spent surfing this site, seeking the answers needed, and I was never disappointed, for that I thank you. I would especially like to acknowledge one member, DALAIB, his posts were a invaluable resource to my build and I.
Kindly
Darby
Hallo Darby alias @Darby
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is the work on the Victory going on? Did you start it in the meantime?

Kindly
Darby
Hallo @Darby
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back