New member from Virginia

Hello!
This Is the start of a new hobby for me; I have wanted to build a decent ship model for years, but did not get around to it. I am a retired engineer, but the last 18 years of working I built and restored harps. The implication here is that I have lots of tools, and some experience using them.
For a first model project (I have built a 16-ft wood strip canoe) I am considering the “Speedy” by Vanguard. It appears to be something that I could complete in a year, and at age 81 taking on a multi-year project appears overly optimistic.
Advice is requested and greatly appreciated.

A warm welcome here on board of our forum - and you will get all advice and help

Last edited:
Welcome from NC! Glad to have you on board. Harps you say? I have a hammered Dulcimer that I mess about with on occasion. Sounds like a good first kit. Take your time with it and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Welcome aboard SOS!! Speedy should be a nice model to build, we are looking forward to your build log and, ...possibly a kit review (obviously if you don't mind). :)

Welcome from NC! Glad to have you on board. Harps you say? I have a hammered Dulcimer that I mess about with on occasion. Sounds like a good first kit. Take your time with it and don't be afraid to ask for help.
Where in NC? I grew up in Winston-Salem, went to school in Raleigh.

Hello!
This Is the start of a new hobby for me; I have wanted to build a decent ship model for years, but did not get around to it. I am a retired engineer, but the last 18 years of working I built and restored harps. The implication here is that I have lots of tools, and some experience using them.
For a first model project (I have built a 16-ft wood strip canoe) I am considering the “Speedy” by Vanguard. It appears to be something that I could complete in a year, and at age 81 taking on a multi-year project appears overly optimistic.
Advice is requested and greatly appreciated.
Hallo @Luthiergeorge
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back