New publications by ancre - Newsletter

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

This could be of interest

I received an information by Didier Berti from ancre, that some new or additional publications are available:

Remark: There is a higher demand to built models in bigger scales, than the usual scale of 1:48, therefore some monographies or plansets are now available also in bigger scales

1) LE GROS VENTRE - Gabare du Roi
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:48, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 32 plans in scale 1:36

IMG_21011.jpg

here the Review on SOS of the 1:48 version:

2) L´AURORE - Corvette
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 15 plans in scale 1:24

Delacroix-Gerard-Corvette-L-aurore-Concue-Par-Nicolas-Ozanne-Realisee-Par-Le-Constructeur-Bonv...jpg aa.JPG

3) La DILIGENTE - Tartane
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 20 plans in scale 1:24

bb.JPG

4) LA CHALOUPE ARMÉE EN GUERRE 1834 - the armed Gun-Boat
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 6 plans in scale 1:24 or with 6 plans in scale 1:18

cc.jpg

Also available are in french, english and italian language already supplement for rigging - the german version will be published later ;)

5) FRIGATES IN THE FRENCH NAVY 1650 - 1850 / The History of the french frigates
JEAN BOUDRIOT & HUBERT BERTI

516l8vgldNL.jpg

now available also in italian language - until now only in french and english

BTW: A very good Book and highly recommended !!!!

6) THE SHIPS OF THE SUN KING
- JC Lemineur

Sun-Kings-Vessels.jpg

Big scale are much more difficult, because you have the possibility to show also the smallest details. And a model in such a scale without details is boring.
I've noticed the trend towards larger and larger scales in plastic model making as well but were should you store 2 of 3 of this models. Or are the apartments much bigger as in Germany?

Big scale are much more difficult, because you have the possibility to show also the smallest details. And a model in such a scale without details is boring.
I've noticed the trend towards larger and larger scales in plastic model making as well but were should you store 2 of 3 of this models. Or are the apartments much bigger as in Germany?
Hallo Christian,
I think, that modelers building in bigger scale are usually modeling only the hull without masting and rigging.
Let us take a look at the Aurore;
in scale 1:48 the model has this dimensions
1.JPG
means in scale 1;24 the hull would be 140 - 40 - 44
and with rigging would be 176 - 60 - 140

and the Le Gros Ventre in scale 1:48:
2.JPG
means in scale 1:36 for the hull 117 - 23 - 28
with rigging: 147 - 56 - 104

The Diligente is originally in scale 1:36
3.JPG
Hull would have in 1:24 these dimensions: 91,5 - 28,5 - 31,5
with rigging: 135 - 31,5 - 151,5

We will see in future, if modelers are building these ships with rigging, but I guess, that most of them are concentrating on the hull in admirality style - the models would have an acceptable size, which can be still very often handled.

Personally, I love a bigger scale in general. Obviously, when it comes to 74 gun models, there is a huge concern where those models to keep. But, apart from this, nothing can justify showing all of the small details, some times invisible, you have a luck to display in smaller scales.

This could be of interest

I received an information by Didier Berti from ancre, that some new or additional publications are available:

Remark: There is a higher demand to built models in bigger scales, than the usual scale of 1:48, therefore some monographies or plansets are now available also in bigger scales

1) LE GROS VENTRE - Gabare du Roi
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:48, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 32 plans in scale 1:36

View attachment 102132

here the Review on SOS of the 1:48 version:

2) L´AURORE - Corvette
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 15 plans in scale 1:24

View attachment 102136 View attachment 102135

3) La DILIGENTE - Tartane
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 20 plans in scale 1:24

View attachment 102137

4) LA CHALOUPE ARMÉE EN GUERRE 1834 - the armed Gun-Boat
by Gerard Delacroix
originally in scale 1:36, now available as a supplement to the original monographie with 6 plans in scale 1:24 or with 6 plans in scale 1:18

View attachment 102140

Also available are in french, english and italian language already supplement for rigging - the german version will be published later ;)

5) FRIGATES IN THE FRENCH NAVY 1650 - 1850 / The History of the french frigates

View attachment 102142

BTW: A very good Book and highly recommended !!!!

6) THE SHIPS OF THE SUN KING
- JC Lemineur

View attachment 102143

Based on the newsletter and the information, that Boudriot´s book about the french frigates is now also available in italian, I made a book review of my english copy

IMG_27251.jpg IMG_27261.jpg

So take a look - highly recommended publication

small vessels at large scale rather than large ships at small scale

there is a trend of builders drawn toward those heavy carved 50 gun war ships and yes at larger scale what do you do with a large model in a small home or apartment?
the Sun king's vessel is an impressive ship but how many builders can actually built it? the carvings alone are beyond most builders. The armed Gun-Boat built at a larger scale showing the skills of the builder in the workmanship and joinery is equally impressive.
you really can not go against the market trend of fancy ships with lots of guns, that's what the builders want even thought they can't built them.
Maybe SOS should lean more toward model engineering and fine scale modeling rather than building ships from kits that look like a wedding cake covered in decorations with guns sticking out everywhere.

small vessels at large scale rather than large ships at small scale

there is a trend of builders drawn toward those heavy carved 50 gun war ships and yes at larger scale what do you do with a large model in a small home or apartment?
the Sun king's vessel is an impressive ship but how many builders can actually built it? the carvings alone are beyond most builders. The armed Gun-Boat built at a larger scale showing the skills of the builder in the workmanship and joinery is equally impressive.
you really can not go against the market trend of fancy ships with lots of guns, that's what the builders want even thought they can't built them.
Maybe SOS should lean more toward model engineering and fine scale modeling rather than building ships from kits that look like a wedding cake covered in decorations with guns sticking out everywhere.

Agreed....
There is another angle to these publications as part of this work also has a larger dimension (not talking about scale here): a more formal / historical representation.
As far as ANCRE is concerned, it is actually referenced in the title of the series of works published: "La Collection Archéologie Navale" or "the Naval Archeology Collection". This is somewhat not really designed for the "masses" .....

G

There is another angle to these publications as part of this work also has a larger dimension (not talking about scale here): a more formal / historical representation.
As far as ANCRE is concerned, it is actually referenced in the title of the series of works published: "La Collection Archéologie Navale" or "the Naval Archeology Collection". This is somewhat not really designed for the "masses" .....

I got the impression these are not for "model builders" as instructions or building projects because like you said they are not for the masses even less for the "hobby". These are more for historians and the study of ship building. however they can be used to create a building project by adding an entire dimension to it. but still anyone wanting to actually build a model will still need the tools and skills, so really they can be used to build models when in the right hands.

there is a very wide gap between the hobby kit builders and serious scratch builders and i have no clue how to bridge that gap.

I think who builds big models have bigger houses or selling or giving away the models.

planning on the Mississippi model at 3/8 scale is 8 feet long that's longer than my couch so yes that would be an impressive model and down to some fine detail BUT what do you do with it and who would want in in their house? museums even hesitate at something that big.

I got the impression these are not for "model builders" as instructions or building projects because like you said they are not for the masses even less for the "hobby". These are more for historians and the study of ship building. however they can be used to create a building project by adding an entire dimension to it. but still anyone wanting to actually build a model will still need the tools and skills, so really they can be used to build models when in the right hands.

there is a very wide gap between the hobby kit builders and serious scratch builders and i have no clue how to bridge that gap.

Dave,
Don't get me wrong, they are designed for the modeler in mind, just not for everyone. They are just not like an instruction manual to be found in kits .... they require a much different approach in the study, of course not accounting for the fact that parts are not ready-made.
Like it has been discussed in other threads, it takes a dedicated person to build one of those from the documents, even the simplest of vessels.
But then again, that is just another level ...... and I am certainly not saying that to diminish the value of kit building.
There should be a natural progression in the life of some of the modelers ..... but not the masses.... that is for sure.
G

Yes I agree a natural progression, I take myself as an example, while i still like kits I am ready to start a scratch build, from simple MID WEST kits, to various kit subjects, to POF (CAUSTIC by the lumberyard to the halifax POF (LUMBERYARD YARD) To the BLANDFORD build, now on to the Le ROCHFORTE, wish me luck. Don

Ancre just published a new monographie
LOUISE - racing Argenteuil clipper
- a long awaited adjusted Re-edition.

The first edition was from Didier Berti´s friend Hérvé Sasso from EPV, he made only 50 copies in french and in black/white.

louise-clipper-dargenteuil-1878.jpg

I mentioned already this re-edition in my report from Rochefort last October, where I was able to see the amazing model built by Bruno Orsel

IMG_08621.JPG

Louise Clipper d’Argenteuil -1878
The present monograph describes a racing Argenteuil clipper at the top of the evolution of the type.

available in french, english or italian language

A 52-page color booklet in 21 x 30 cm format with 70 drawings and photos, with the CONSTRUCTION of the model.Set of 10 boards at the scale of 1 / 15th.

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/97-louise-clipper-dargenteuil-1878.html

SYNOPSIS:
The development of row-boating and pleasure sailing at Argenteuil and more generally around Paris was closely related to the upheaval of French society in the second half of the 19th century. The first races between rowboats and then sailboats began in 1850. But river pleasure boating still involved a hodge-podge of diverse contrivances. A sort of aristocracy developed itself slowly until, starting from the simple small boat with a sail, the ambition of the early racing-boat owners progressed until they actually designed and built true sailboats which, in the case of the most dedicated and also the most well-to-do, were real racing machines, pure-breads of the pleasure sailing that was then in full evolution.

The clippers of the Seine river were born within this context and Argenteuil and its exceptional body of water became the highlight of Parisian sail races.

But prior to this, the importation from the US of some specimen that sail the New-York bay such as “Margot”, a sand-bagger and later “New-York”, a cat-boat caused some upheaval and re-thinking in the principles of construction of river boats. These American center-boarders were studied by designers with the objective of adapting them to the sailing conditions on the Seine river. From that point emerged bolder designs with finer lines, taller rigs and more extreme boats that took the name of “clippers d'Argenteuil”.

The present monograph describes a racing Argenteuil clipper at the top of the evolution of the type. The study of this boat is based upon a very valuable historical documentation. Bruno Orsel studied the documentary and technical sources of the time that were widely expended in the magazine “Le Yacht of 1878 and the following years” and in the celebrated treatise on naval construction of Dixon Kemp, “a Manual of Yacht and Boar Sailing” were the author offers a very precise description of the rigging of the Seine river clippers. The Musee National de la Marine owns several models of clippers from these days. Their study provided a wealth of information, especially on their mode of construction and the precious details about their rigging.

This monograph will enable you to build a fine and elegant model; a perfect marriage between technique and poetry.

A 52-page color booklet in 21 x 30 cm format with 70 drawings and photos, with the CONSTRUCTION of the model.

A set of ten plates at the 1/15 scale including:
I Waterlines
II Station frames
III Timber structure – Fore-and-aft lines
IV Deck – beams and planking
V Furnishing – fore-and-aft section
VI Furnishings – overhead view
VII Cross-sections
VIII Ironwork, blocks and miscellaneous
IX Masts, sails and ensign
X Sails and rigging at the 1/30 scale

louise-clipper-dargenteuil-1878 (1).jpg

Unbenannt1.JPG Unbenannt2.JPG Unbenannt3.JPG

I ordered already my copy and I will make a detailed review with Look Inside in short time ..... stay tuned

Attachments

• LOUISE (fr) (1).pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
It looks like a very good scratch build project! Many thanks for sharing!
Yes - I agree completely
I was able to see the built model from Bruno Orsel in detail, amazing well built and highly interesting. It is a great historic sport boat.
I think there could be a great half model, skeleton or the complete fully rigged model possible - or even a working RC model.
If you compare to the typical ancre monographies a completely different type of boat - I am looking forward to get my copy of the planset........

During the weekend, I received the latest newsletter from ancre, so here are the new available documentation:

1) new Monographie LOUISE - racing Argenteuil clipper -> see herefore my post #14 of this topic from last week
louise-clipper-dargenteuil-1878.jpg
available in french / english or italian language

2) Monographie of L`ARTÉSIEN, 64 gun ship 1764 is now available also in scale 1:36 (35 plates), before only in 1:48

aa.jpg bb.jpg

3) Monographie LE FLEURON - Vaisseau de 64 canons 1729 - now also available with 27 plans in scale 1/36 (2 kg)

IMG_20001.jpg 4.JPG 1.JPG

4) now available also in italian language
LA FREGATA MARINA DI FRANCIA 1650 - 1850

CRONISTORIA DELLE FREGATE NELLA MARINA FRANCESE

Sono in totale 106 piani di bastimenti, 92 riproduzioni di documenti d’epoca, 68 foto e 48 stati, tavole numeriche, grafici e repertorio che riuniti costituiscono una vera enciclopedia sulle fregate.

IMG_27251.jpg

english title: THE HISTORY OF THE FRENCH FRIGATE 1650-1850
by Jean Boudriot & Hubert Berti (translated by David H. Roberts)

5) now available also in italian language
I VASCELLI DEL RE SOLE

J.C Lemineur
Creazione ed evoluzione della marina di Luigi XIV.

Download (1).jpg Download.jpg

english title: THE SHIPS OF THE SUN KING - JC Lemineur
The author presents the creation and evolution of Louis XIV’s navy in an historical context. The fruit of many long years of archival research working with primary sources, its invaluable contents are an essential reference work of French naval history.

On sunday the latest newsletter from ancre arrived:

1) New Monographie Allège d’Arles - 1833
in scale 1:48 by Franco Fissore
The Arles lighter and a flat-bottom 1833 river tartan from Provence.
The historic and graphic documentation allowed for the design of all the details of the structure and the furniture

monographie-allege-darles-1833.jpg monographie-allege-darles-18331.jpg aa.JPG

Monograph with 144 page booklet and 16 drawing plates in scale 1:48 (available in french, english or italian language)
available from 28th November 2019

2) Les Saint-Philippe et les vaisseaux de 1er rang de Louis XIII à Louis XIV
Book in format 22x31 cm of 184 pages with 150 photos or engravings of which 144 pages in color.

They are eleven first rank and 22 second rank in 1672.
In french language only - Available 28/1/2019.

les-saint-philippe-et-les-vaisseaux-de-1er-rang-de-louis-xiii-a-louis-xiv.jpg les-saint-philippe-et-les-vaisseaux-de-1er-rang-de-louis-xiii-a-louis-xiv (1).jpg les-saint-philippe-et-les-vaisseaux-de-1er-rang-de-louis-xiii-a-louis-xiv (2).jpg

3) Good news for our spanish members:
The monographs "Le Requin", "Santa Catarina" and also "Louise clipper" will be also available in spanish language

4) Wall CALENDAR ANCRE 2020
available on 28/11/2019

calendrier-mural-ancre-2017-.jpg calendrier-mural-ancre-2017- (1).jpg calendrier-mural-ancre-2017- (2).jpg

Automatically as a gift to all orders over € 100 until the 10/12/2019.
Wall CALENDAR ANCRE 2020

Dimensions: 30 x 21cm. Published on a thick paper 250 g. 13 exclusive photos on exception models on the theme: "Bow & Stern"

List of models:
The 74-gun ship of 1780
The Shark - Chebec 1750
The Artesian - Vessel 64 of 1764
Aurora - Light Frigate of 1697
The Fleuron - Vessel of 64 guns of 1729
The Scuna - Brigantino Goletta from 1903

1) New Monographie Allège d’Arles - 1833
in scale 1:48 by Franco Fissore
The Arles lighter and a flat-bottom 1833 river tartan from Provence.
The historic and graphic documentation allowed for the design of all the details of the structure and the furniture

View attachment 119226 View attachment 119227 View attachment 119225

Monograph with 144 page booklet and 16 drawing plates in scale 1:48 (available in french, english or italian language)
available from 28th November 2019

In @G. DELACROIX french speaken forum the first photos and small report was made about the new monograph Allège d'Arles written by Philippe Rigaut and Franco Fissore from ancre

Shortly after I got my copy I will make a Planset Review

Back